Auburn and UAB

auburn4ever

I'm glad to see the Auburn / UAB series coming back. Tony Barbee was as dumb as a rock ending that series.

I'm glad to see the Auburn / UAB series coming back. Tony Barbee was as dumb as a rock ending that series.

Auburn and UAB last played each other in 1999.... that was FIFTEEN years ago. It was LONG before Barbee was even thought of to be a head coach at Auburn. Clif Ellis was the head coach at Auburn when we last played UAB. Besides, we've only played each other 17 times TOTAL and since 1983. Since you struggle with facts, that's OVER 30 years. Clif Ellis was here 4 years AFTER the last matchup with uab, then Lebo was here for 6 years, then Barbee was here for 4 years before we hired Bruce Pearl. RESEARCH IS YOUR FRIEND.

Regardless of whose idea it was to drop the AU/UAB basketball games, I'm glad its back. It's a good, easy game to get to, increases our in-state exposure and spits in UAT's eye. What's not to like?

PS: "It's bad if we lose to them" doesn't hold water. Auburn should field a team that can routinely beat UAB. If we don't, that's on us, not them.

When Barbee first becaome our HC, he said something like he didn't want to renew the series with UAB. He went on to ay he was tired of playing teams from C-USA. I'm guessing he was tired of playing C-USA teams because UTEP (his former team) was in the same conference and maybe UTEP could never beat UAB.

When Barbee first becaome our HC, he said something like he didn't want to renew the series with UAB.

Please provide a link to this statement. I would love to read it. But, even if he did say that, He still had NOTHING to do with ending the series against them like you stated emphatically in your original post.

Not wanting to renew is very different than actually ending/canceling the series. Barbee didn't do that.

He went on to ay he was tired of playing teams from C-USA.

Gonna want a link to that statement too..

I'm guessing he was tired of playing C-USA teams because UTEP (his former team) was in the same conference and maybe UTEP could never beat UAB.

He went 4-4 vs. uab during his 4 years at utep, so you would be wrong there too.

Watching Barbee coach at UTEP was the reason I was excited to get him originally. His teams were very long, athletic and scrappy. Tough team to beat. Boy was I disappointed...and wrong.

Watching Barbee coach at UTEP was the reason I was excited to get him originally. His teams were very long, athletic and scrappy. Tough team to beat. Boy was I disappointed...and wrong.

Most of us thought the same way

I felt the exact same way. I was thrilled that AU would look like his teams at UTEP. Never happened and I was disappoint. :(

• 4 weeks later...

UAB is a better program than AU at this point so if we lost to UAB it doesn't look that bad IMO. The last time we were in the tourney youtube wasn't even around. And they have been winning games in March recently.

Archived