Auburn #7 in coaches poll

gAUlf

Ohio State plays Michigan State, TCU plays Baylor, Oregon plays Michigan State.

Plenty of guaranteed losses among the six teams ahead of us. Almost assured playoff berth IF we take care of our own business (including the Iron Bowl)! (Almost impossible to repeat the 2004 injustice!)

WDE!

:wedance:

Why am I not shocked Alabama is number three.

Kinda ties in with the "Would you be content as Auburn fans" thread. Hate to say it, but bama has earned the benefit of the doubt. Until they have a truly down season, they're going to be up there.

Kinda ties in with the "Would you be content as Auburn fans" thread. Hate to say it, but bama has earned the benefit of the doubt. Until they have a truly down season, they're going to be up there.

Yep. A Saban coached team of high school kids would be ranked in the coach's poll.

UAT is stouter than a lot of us want to give credit for. They will have a sick D like they usually do, and Kiffin will figure something out on offense as he did last year. They will also lose a couple this year.

Yep. A Saban coached team of high school kids would be ranked in the coach's poll.

UAT is stouter than a lot of us want to give credit for. They will have a sick D like they usually do, and Kiffin will figure something out on offense as he did last year. They will also lose a couple this year.

yeah we will see

Perfect position. Close enough to stay in contention for the playoffs, far enough away to piss our players off for being left out of the top five. #StayHungry

Agree 100%. I like the position. Knowing polls mean nothing but i think it's a good spot for us.

Sims will be missed more than some may think. They better have an outstanding pass blocking Oline than in the past couple years. Sims wasn't that good but he could as least make things happen running the ball if the pass wasn't there. He kept drives going. What little video out on Coker...he looks like a sitting duck.

They say he's athletic....but they also said he was the second coming too lol

True! And a heisman contender... :-\

yeah we will see

Yeah. . . . :gofig: . . .I thought they'd drop 2-3 last year, just didn't believe it'd take the next to last game of the year.

Sims will be missed more than some may think. They better have an outstanding pass blocking Oline than in the past couple years. Sims wasn't that good but he could as least make things happen running the ball if the pass wasn't there. He kept drives going. What little video out on Coker...he looks like a sitting duck.

he will be missed. He was a surprise to everyone last year including saban and kiffin. I don't see them getting that lucky again. Cooper will be too.

I don't think Sims will be missed. He wasn't a good QB. He had a comfortable situation with a run-heavy offense and, by far, the best WR in the country. I saw the Ole Miss/Alabama replay last night (a piece of it at least). He made a couple of horrible throws on short passes. I mean, not just failing to lead a WR but missing the target by two feet. Cooper caught all of three of the misses. These weren't anticipation throws trying to protect a guy on a crossing route. These were just bad misses. It didn't matter. Cooper even turned one of them into a freaking 40 yard gainer. They've got plenty of guys that could deliver that ball. The question is whether they have anyone like Cooper that can turn a bad pass into a huge gain. Sims won't be the one they miss.

Sims was as good a runner last year as any QB in the nation, dude was decisive and had breakaway speed IMO

was pretty average on the road (to be nice) but he was very nice at home. Alabama had enough to win in spite of him away from home

plus he's substantially better than anyone UA has on roster

He wasn't in the same neighborhood running the ball as a QB named Marshall.

not at all. he did have a good sense of when to run though.

Bama will return to the run-heavy offense with a game manager QB who throws in a play-action game. Let's be honest. Bama reloads every year with unreal depth built on 5 star recruiting classes. Until some SEC teams demonstrate that Bama is vulnerable by actually beating them on the field, Bama will be ranked above all other SEC teams just based on talent and Saban's record of fielding winners.

And you know what? Auburn is rated this high solely on the basis of CGM and CWM and their ability to put together competitive teams in the past -- plus the JJ hype -- not because of what Auburn demonstrated on the field last season. Personally, I think UGA deserves to be ranked higher than Auburn and so does Ole Miss, based on experienced talent.

I agree -- Auburn is in a real good place in the rankings to start the season. I'm optimistic that Auburn can improve on its W-L record over last year. The Tigers will have their shot to do even better than that. But it will require beating a lot of very good teams along the way. The D needs to shut down other teams on first down and generate a successful pass rush in passing situations, and all those talented guys on offense will need to get in sync early.

That's why I specified last year. Marshall dropped off substantially last year (not his fault mainly though)

If we talking a 2013 situation, I'd pick Marshall

That's why I specified last year. Marshall dropped off substantially last year (not his fault mainly though)

If we talking a 2013 situation, I'd pick Marshall

Yes his numbers dropped off a bit compared to his numbers from 2013 but he still put up better numbers in 2014 than Sims.

Marshall 153 carries 798 yards 5.2 YPC Long 50 and 11 TD's

Sims 83 carries 350 yards 4.2 YPC Long 43 and 7 TDs

I was just about to draft a "scarecrows in crimson jerseys" post.

Is it not widely accepted that Alabama is going to have a down year this year? Am I crazy and imagining things, or are the coaches just lazily voting UA too high.

Archived