Russian rescue helicopter 'shot down by Syrian rebels'

AUUSN

...while searching for pilots of plane downed by Turkey. Well Russia, you wanted in the fight...

"A Russian rescue helicopter has been shot down by Syrian rebels while searching for pilots missing after Turkey downed a Russian jet.

The helicopter was forced to make an emergency landing in a government-held area in Syria's Latakia province.

A Syrian insurgent group, which uses U.S. Tow missiles, said its fighters hit the helicopter with an anti-tank missile.

Video footage has emerged online appearing to show the helicopter after it crashed in dense woodland.

Plumes of smoke can be seen coming from the aircraft.

Vladmir Putin earlier warned Turkey of "significant consequences" after the Russian plane was shot down."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/russian-rescue-helicopter-shot-down-6891003

After their years in Afganistan the Russians certainly understand the culture in that part of the world. Where "If he's not one of ours cut his head off" is the rule of thumb rescue missions and red crosses are fair game. I don't think the Russians are surprised about this, they knew who they were dealing with before they went in.

The only people surprised are some Western journalists who continue to hold the foolish notion that the various factions there will behave in a civilized manner. They never have, and any change is decades, if not centuries away.

After their years in Afganistan the Russians certainly understand the culture in that part of the world. Where "If he's not one of ours cut his head off" is the rule of thumb rescue missions and red crosses are fair game. I don't think the Russians are surprised about this, they knew who they were dealing with before they went in.

The only people surprised are some Western journalists who continue to hold the foolish notion that the various factions there will behave in a civilized manner. They never have, and any change is decades, if not centuries away.

Wonder how many of the younger Russians , too young to recall Afghanistan, are taking this all in. It's a new experience for them, I suspect. Will they react in outrage ? As Putin likely hopes, or will they ask why are they fighting in a war which isn't their own ?

Wonder how many of the younger Russians , too young to recall Afghanistan, are taking this all in. It's a new experience for them, I suspect. Will they react in outrage ? As Putin likely hopes, or will they ask why are they fighting in a war which isn't their own ?

My guess is the former. Having interacted with people from there, I can safely say that nationalism is a very big and real thing among all ages.

Russia and Turkey have a long history going back to the Ottoman Empire.

Things are likely to escalate. Russia may cut off gas supplies to Turkey. There is a small portion of land right along the Turkish Syrian border that is disputed territory. Turkey hasn't been much of an ally in fighting radical Islam.

Things are likely to escalate. Russia may cut off gas supplies to Turkey. There is a small portion of land right along the Turkish Syrian border that is disputed territory. Turkey hasn't been much of an ally in fighting radical Islam.

Good thing we sent Russia the 'reset' button, huh? I mean, otherwise, this could have gotten really ugly.

Good thing we sent Russia the 'reset' button, huh? I mean, otherwise, this could have gotten really ugly.

Turkish%20Syrian%20border%20graphic_1.png

http://www.mfa.gov.tr/no_-212_-24-july-2015_-press-statement-concerning-turkey_us-understanding-on-countering-deash.en.mfa

Russia is only aiding Assad.

Russia is only aiding Assad.

Oh I know what Russia is up to. They're aiding Iran too.

Russia is only aiding Russia

Fixed that for you.

Russia is only aiding Russia

Fixed that for you.

Things you'll never hear Vlad Putin say ... “What I’m not interested in doing is posing or pursuing some notion of ‘Russian leadership’ or ‘Russia winning”’

Archived