Kudos for Tubs (not what you think)

auman64

I must say that I have never been and still am not the biggest CTT fan. HOWEVER I attended the game yesterday and I was very impressed with one thing.. CTT mastered field position. Did anyone notice our little pooch punts pinning LSU deep? There was a couple of times we were in that "almost field goal range" and it would be fourth and short.. the crowd was yelling.."go for it". CTT consistently kept calm.. kept making LSU drive 80-90 yards each series.. In my opinion, that was one of the biggest reasons we won the game.. that was smart coaching because fottball really is a game of field position. I almost bet you that on a couple of those occassions if we had gone for it and missed or missed a field goal and gave it to LSU on the 35-45 yard line.. they would have scored again and we would have lost.

Our D has an uncanny ability to stop people on 4th and short. So, I'd have to say that was a heads up call by Tubs.

This is my post on the game thread. I think i was right on both accounts.

If you go for the field goal and get it, chances are the game is gonna come down to your kicker. I don't think AU's kicker is good enough to put the game into overtime, on a long fieldgoal.

On the other hand, I say run it up the middle until you score, or LSU get's the ball on the half yard line. Field position is gonna be the difference in the outcome of this game.

http://www.aunation.net/forums/index.php?s...pic=10751&st=45

I was impressed with that also. With our D playing like it was (and our O playing like it was), that was absolutely the right call. And I LOVE the rugby kicks from Bliss. I was screaming obscenities (along with the rest of my section) when I thought Tubs was going to fake it, but that one page in the play book went a long way toward winning the game. brilliant.

I was impressed with that also. With our D playing like it was (and our O playing like it was), that was absolutely the right call. And I LOVE the rugby kicks from Vaughn. I was screaming obscenities (along with the rest of my section) when I thought Tubs was going to fake it, but that one page in the play book went a long way toward winning the game. brilliant.

Agreed, that move slowed up the rush and we got some good kicks from it. I'll be curious to see if we stay with that style of punt.

When he was interviewed by the CBS sideline guy immediately following the win, CTT said that playing field position was their whole strategy going into the game, and they didn't deviate from it even after the first couple of scores by LSU. Even late in the 4th quarter, they were still playing field position. Gotta admit: it worked.

I think the crowd being so loud ,what would be routine,his adrenaline is so high it took the time for him to get it right. B) just my op .and rt side burned face ell worth it!!! :D WDE!!

On the first pooch kick it looked like the punter was actually looking for a receiver. I wonder if it was a fake punt with an option. You know, look out there and if our guy is WIDE OPEN, throw it. If not, kick it??? Did anybody else see that. I was screaming. After watching Duval short arm that pass to RJ, I didn't even want to see another one for a long time.

On the first pooch kick it looked like the punter was actually looking for a receiver. I wonder if it was a fake punt with an option. You know, look out there and if our guy is WIDE OPEN, throw it. If not, kick it??? Did anybody else see that. I was screaming. After watching Duval short arm that pass to RJ, I didn't even want to see another one for a long time.

i dont think so. south carolins did that every time they got across the fifty to georgia last week. one of my friends who is the backup longsnapper(who should start next week) told me they had been working on that last week in practice.

This is my post on the game thread. I think i was right on both accounts.
If you go for the field goal and get it, chances are the game is gonna come down to your kicker. I don't think AU's kicker is good enough to put the game into overtime, on a long fieldgoal.

On the other hand, I say run it up the middle until you score, or LSU get's the ball on the half yard line. Field position is gonna be the difference in the outcome of this game.

http://www.aunation.net/forums/index.php?s...pic=10751&st=45

Depends on the day. Yost has kicked one from 57 yards. That said, I wouldn't want the game on his foot.

Tubs is growing up and maturing! I doubt that he will ever be a GREAT coach but then, who is? He handles his players well, disciplines them, plays Dad to them, and encourages them. Who could want more at the college level. He does us proud and will win his share of the big games. :au:

And if you dont think those players love that man as their coach you are completely fooling yourself and didnt hear their rendition of Happy Birthday to him in the lockerroom after the game on the review show..(although it was pretty bad. not sure who started it but couldnt carry a tune in a bucket.)

Even though the Louisville debacle was embarrassing as it gets, it may have woke CTT up to his vulnerabilities as the HC. And it may have made him so mad he felt like he only had two options, quit or prove the conspirators wrong. (AD and President) From the way he has run the team this year, he is determined to prove them wrong. By doing that, he can show them that he is in the right place and doing the right job. I've never been convinced CTT had a great football mind. But he has a lot of other good characteristics that will help him be successful. He is better defined as the CEO of the football program. And anyone who has ever been successful must surround themself with talent. He is recruiting good kids. He has a good crew of assistants. The kids are getting their degrees. They are not getting into trouble. And if they do, they are gone in a flash. This can do nothing but evolve into a better program all the way around. Winning breeds winning. Winning brings in better recruits. And a player that actually has a desire to do good for their coach plays better. They also spread that word to the recruits, and the cycle repeats itself.

WAR EAGLE.

This was a great win for Auburn, no doubt about it. We are on the right track this year, no doubt about it. But the problem that TT has always had is that even when he has a good team they will invariably fail to show up a couple of Saturdays during the season. Need I remind anyone of the Arkansas debacle(s)? Great teams show up every game. Great coaches have good offensive/defensive game plans every game. I couldn't be prouder of the effort that our team showed on Saturday. The coaches had a good game plan and they stuck with it. The team played a 60 minute game on both sides of the ball. If they do that every week I will be proud of them whether they are 7-5 or 13-0. We had some good wins last year over the Vols, Hogs, Tide and Badgers. But we stunk it up againist USC, GT, LSU and UGA. Just went through the motions without an offensive game plan. Let's see how things play out over the next few weeks before we extend the contract again. Thats all I'm saying. :au:

Great teams show up every game. Great coaches have good offensive/defensive game plans every game.

i guess you do not think that Bob Stoops is a great coach (see KSU vs. OU last year). Nor is Pete Carrol (Cal) nor is Pat Dye. And on the list goes. I am not trying to put CTT in that list, but all coaches let their team come out flat sometimes. Even the best of the best of the best.

Another vote for Coach Tubberville--not just for football

My son recently recieved his Eagle Scout--My wife sent requests for letters of congratulation from numerous national figures as well as Coach Tuberville. In the middle of preparing for football season, his was the first response back. He included a personal letter and autographed picture. Made a special evening much better for my son.

Great teams show up every game.

While I agree with you for the most part I disagree on this. Every Champ has at least one game that the look like ass (Miami/BC couple of years ago comes to mind, or the Nebraska/Mizzou game before that). Everyone will have an off game or two. Great teams find ways to win no matter how they're playing.

Archived