Orange Bowl Bound ?

Oysterman

Yesterday morning in the Atlanta airport I ran into a guy with an FedEx Orange Bowl Committee shirt and hat on. We were standing in line waiting to go through security and we started chatting. I said "think of Auburn as a team in the game" He said he had just come from our game with Ky. I said well that was a crappy game, and he said we didn't watch the game we were looking at the fans, tailgating, atmosphere, etc.

He said there is no doubt in his mind that Auburn would bring 40,000 + fans to Miami for a game no matter who the played !!!!

That is great news that we are already being considered for a major bowl, all he said was to keep winning games !!

Hate to break it to you but there is no 'selection committee' for the Orange Bowl this year. They must take the 2 teams ranked 1-2 in the final BCS Standings.

If we are not 1st or 2nd, we can't go to the Orange Bowls no matter what the 'hosts' want.

If we win the SEC championship but we are not ranked 1 or 2 (for example if we lose to UGA but then beat Tenn, or UGA in the SECC), we would go to the Sugar Bowl because the SEC Champ goes to the Sugar bowl every year if they are not in the top 2 of the BCS standings.

Now if we beat UGA in the reg. season but then lose the SEC championship. We would be 11-1 and not have any guarenteed BCS berth (unless we stayed in the top 6) and then it would be up to the selection committee's of the Fiesta and possibly the Rose (if they lose their pac-10 or big 10 champion) to decide if they want to invite us.

It gets kinda confusing but I think that sums up the BCS bowl selections!

Hate to break it to you but there is no 'selection committee' for the Orange Bowl this year. They must take the 2 teams ranked 1-2 in the final BCS Standings.

114731[/snapback]

Orange Bowl Committee

I was also there, and they were not looking to "select" a team. The guy said they always travel this time of year to see the top 5 teams play to get an idea of not only who might be #1 or #2, but to also see those teams fans, etc. This is for promotional ideas, things to take to corporate sponsors, etc.

Archived