Best (and worst) beers you've ever had

BamaGrad03

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Unfortunately, Westbrook set the bar too damn high with their gose. I can't drink one without comparing it to Westbrook. "Not enough salt", "not tart enough", "not as good as Westbrook". 

Yep. I've said before on here that other Goses don't quite meet the standard Westbrook set for me, even several highly rated ones. Most just taste like a slightly funked wheat beer in comparison. 

5 minutes ago, Bigbens42 said:

Yep. I've said before on here that other Goses don't quite meet the standard Westbrook set for me, even several highly rated ones. Most just taste like a slightly funked wheat beer in comparison. 

Or simply, a berlinerweiss. 

55 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Or simply, a berlinerweiss. 

I've had a few, but they were fruity.

Dogfish has a peach one that was pretty good, and Trim Tab has a raspberry one that wasn't awful.

1 hour ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

And speaking of Westbrook, this is mighty fine.

zSVfvaP.jpg

I might find one and save it for Christmas. 

15 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Unfortunately, Westbrook set the bar too damn high with their gose. I can't drink one without comparing it to Westbrook. "Not enough salt", "not tart enough", "not as good as Westbrook". 

If we want to really geek out, a lot of folks say that Westbrook's- while damned delicious- isn't particularly true to style. 

16 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

And speaking of Westbrook, this is mighty fine.

zSVfvaP.jpg

Two fantastic beers, two highly compatible flavor profiles, two fantastic breweries that have done a lot of great work together. This one was a winner before I ever tasted it. 

1 hour ago, Tiger Refuge said:

02562C58-F32F-4C45-ABC7-001F11C5C415_zpsNot too shabby...at all. Gose with Mango and Guava. Light and refreshing.

Headed back down the hill today to find more beer. Asheville tomorrow...

Assume it's old hat amongst this crowd, but (just to be sure) are you familiar with Asheville's Brews Cruise?

14 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

02562C58-F32F-4C45-ABC7-001F11C5C415_zpsNot too shabby...at all. Gose with Mango and Guava. Light and refreshing.

Headed back down the hill today to find more beer. Asheville tomorrow...

Wrong time of year, but (if they've gone back to bottling it) French Broad's Rye-Hopper is the (autumn) diggity.

12 hours ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Assume it's old hat amongst this crowd, but (just to be sure) are you familiar with Asheville's Brews Cruise?

I am not familiar with that tour. Sounds like fun!

6 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

I am not familiar with that tour. Sounds like fun!

Sorry for the slow response (on the road to Tloosa, dammit, y'day). Though they will book a tour for you, looks like the next regularly scheduled isn't 'til tomorrow anyway. They can't hit all the local breweries in one trip, but they drive Asheville streets for you (and there's a popcorn popper on the bus). Info at:

https://ashevillebrewscruise.com

ETA - Scroll down to the calendar to see who they're visiting when.

I'll have a full beer report later. I'm currently in a hop induced trance. As an aside, I think I've found my dream job. An outdoor store in a small town in the mountains of western NC with a craft beer wing...hell.yes.

47 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

I'll have a full beer report later. I'm currently in a hop induced trance. As an aside, I think I've found my dream job. An outdoor store in a small town in the mountains of western NC with a craft beer wing...hell.yes.

I'll wash dishes, sweep floors, empty trash... I want in. 

Just a quick heads up for those of us that use photobucket to host images, they're about to **** us. Most likely destroy themselves in the process too. 

Noticed it because two of your pics have gone wonky, Refuge. Just go ahead and migrate anything y'all have on there to imgur or something. 

Went to the grand opening of the new brewery in town. Place was packed. Tried the brown, watermelon hefe, and IPA. 

Naturally, I liked the IPA the best. However, the other two were solid, well made brews. 

Didn't want to stand in line for another 20 min for a beer, so we went to Flying Saucer down the road. Had a Snake Handler; and Alpine is apparently breaking into the market. Not Nelson is legit. 

SSf53bo.jpg

On 7/1/2017 at 0:17 AM, ShocksMyBrain said:

Went to the grand opening of the new brewery in town. Place was packed. Tried the brown, watermelon hefe, and IPA. 

Naturally, I liked the IPA the best. However, the other two were solid, well made brews. 

Didn't want to stand in line for another 20 min for a beer, so we went to Flying Saucer down the road. Had a Snake Handler; and Alpine is apparently breaking into the market. Not Nelson is legit. 

Will have to seek that one out.

Glad your new beermakers seem competent at worst. 

I gotta reactivate my imgur account so I can upload a few pics from last week. I'll just say, there is some really good beer in NC...some REALLY good beer. I also remembered that my palette can be waaaaaaay off sometimes. In that spirit, I will try to buy at least a couple of each new beer if purchasing in singles. Example....I bout a sixer of Black Mountain IPA from Pisgah brewing along with a mix and match sixer. One of the mix and matchers was and IPA from Unknown brewing. The single from Unknown came highly recommended. It literally tasted like dumpster juice. Two sips and I rail dumped it. Then, I opened the afformentioned BMIPA. It also tasted like hot garbage. So, I called it a night. The next day, boom, BMIPA tastes awesome. So, I'm left to wonder...WTH did that Unknown really taste like? Excuse to buy more beer in the name of the tasting arts? Excuse to conduct more taste comparisons? Hmmmm.....

@Tiger Refuge, are you tasting them at roughly the same temp and from the same glass? I wouldn't think that would wildly change the flavor but things like that can. Beer is super finicky that way. Says Captain Obvious. 

On Lake Martin this weekend. There's a place on Parker Creek called the Landing, and it is almost heaven. Large outdoor bar, 100% outdoor seating, a stage for bands, a beach for the kids, cornhole, volleyball, the works. Yesterday I had a Goat Mountain IPA from Cullman. Perfectly acceptable from a bar on Lake Martin. Had 2, actually. Today they were out so I just had a Sweetwater IPA. Even more acceptable from a bar on Lake Martin.

Side note: there's a guy on the lake who grows tomatoes on a dock he built just for the purpose. They are insanely good. My dad is buddies with him so we stay in tomatoes all summer here. My amazing wife bought a loaf of cheap white bread on the way down just in case. My parents keep real mayo in the fridge. Dude. Duuuuuuuude.

I was wondering the same thing about the glassware....it wasn't consistent. I'd like a do over. ?

I was literally just having a mouth watering conversation about fresh tomato sammiches. I am a bonafide tomato snob.

15 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Picked up a fresh batch of the new and improved GITM today. Gonna be a good 4th.

New and improved? I thought it was pretty awesome before. 

On 7/4/2017 at 0:01 AM, Tiger Refuge said:

Picked up a fresh batch of the new and improved GITM today. Gonna be a good 4th.

18 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

New and improved? I thought it was pretty awesome before. 

Yes, I'd love to hear the verdict. 

Whenever I read the acronym, I hear it as "Get in the mouth". Works. 

Archived