Best (and worst) beers you've ever had

BamaGrad03

9 hours ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

As an aside,

when our family gets together for trivia at Fairhope Brewery, we go by Shuck it, Trebek.

Nice!

Aside to your aside, I met a recent Auburn grad from Fairhope while I was in FM last week. Nice young man.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man this is tasty. Even in the wrong glassware. :beer2:

IMG_0295.JPG.jpg

3 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

IMG_0295.JPG.jpg

Man those guys make some tasty brews. Have had the DDH Envie as opposed to the standard though.

23 hours ago, AuburnSoldier said:

On another note, Sierra Nevada's 2017 Oktoberfest is phenomenal. I grabbed a sixer this afternoon and it's gone. I hope I don't hurl. 

Oktoberfest on the shelves?! Bring on the fall!

1 minute ago, Bigbens42 said:

Man those guys make some tasty brews. Have had the DDH Envie as opposed to the standard though.

Hope to try that one soon.

2 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

Hope to try that one soon.

Had that one, the GITM and Opus Vert. All incredible beers. These guys know what they're doing. 

Did you find them in the 'ham?

Just now, Bigbens42 said:

Had that one, the GITM and Opus Vert. All incredible beers. These guys know what they're doing. 

Did you find them in the 'ham?

No. Buddy is from West Monroe. Brings them to me quite often. 

No. Buddy is from West Monroe. Brings them to me quite often. 

Familiar with this buddy of yours. Not all heroes wear capes. ;)

1 minute ago, Bigbens42 said:

Familiar with this buddy of yours. Not all heroes wear capes. ;)

He and his wife bring the beer. I grill for them and let them swim in the pool. Seems like a fair trade to me.  He actually took my Yeti 45 Thursday and brought it back full. No complaints.

7 hours ago, AUFAN78 said:

IMG_0295.JPG.jpg

Both of those are top notch beers. That new GITM is fantastic.

Which hop version DDH Envie is that?

Parish and Grat Raft are both killing it right now. Parish has a much heavier footprint than GR does(at least in mine and your buddy's area). 

3 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Parish and Grat Raft are both killing it right now. 

I couldn't believe how good *everything* was on my last NOLA visit. 

29 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I couldn't believe how good *everything* was on my last NOLA visit. 

There are several newer breweries in the NOLA/Northshore area that are kicking tail as well...namely Gnarley Barley and Urban South. I can't get them up here.

6 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

There are several newer breweries in the NOLA/Northshore area that are kicking tail as well...namely Gnarley Barley and Urban South. I can't get them up here.

Pretty sure I had something from Urban South, too. As we've discussed before, it only makes sense that one of the great culinary regions in the country would make amazing beer once they/"y'all" decided to. 

Avondale Brewing is opening a brewery in Trussvegas, that will give us two, with Slagheap opening this fall.

There's also going to be a Melt opening. Downtown Trussville is about to be awesome. 

14 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Nice!

Aside to your aside, I met a recent Auburn grad from Fairhope while I was in FM last week. Nice young man.

BTW - I haven't gotten all the way out to the point in some time. Is the barbecue spring still working?

1 hour ago, Tiger Refuge said:

You're gonna have to edumacate me on said BBQ spring...

ts'OK. Sorry. Lazy on my part.

South and a bit East of the Fort, there used to be a bubbly pond, back amongst the scrub. Bubbles were of methane (probably deriving out of the Sound, north of the peninsula); on sandy ground, obviously a rather temporary (geologically) phenomenon. If the wind wasn't too strong, we could throw a kitchen match in and roast hot dogs or toast marshmallows (though they took on a fart-like sulfurous tang). Thought it kind'a cool.

Several hurricanes since, fires-on-the-beach restrictions, etc., I find no mention of it in any web search and no likely features in GoogleMap satellite footage (an approach I should have taken before asking), though there are some vegetated low spots with ~right location in the imagery.

Apologies.

Note to self - Look before you leap.

53 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

ts'OK. Sorry. Lazy on my part.

South and a bit East of the Fort, there used to be a bubbly pond, back amongst the scrub. Bubbles were of methane (probably deriving out of the Sound, north of the peninsula); on sandy ground, obviously a rather temporary (geologically) phenomenon. If the wind wasn't too strong, we could throw a kitchen match in and roast hot dogs or toast marshmallows (though they took on a fart-like sulfurous tang). Thought it kind'a cool.

Several hurricanes since, fires-on-the-beach restrictions, etc., I find no mention of it in any web search and no likely features in GoogleMap satellite footage (an approach I should have taken before asking), though there are some vegetated low spots with ~right location in the imagery.

Apologies.

Note to self - Look before you leap.

No apologies needed, sir. Any local oddity that deserves its own name is worthy of checkin out. Hell, I probably would have spent two days looking for it if I would have known...next time.

13 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Both of those are top notch beers. That new GITM is fantastic.

Which hop version DDH Envie is that?

Parish and Grat Raft are both killing it right now. Parish has a much heavier footprint than GR does(at least in mine and your buddy's area). 

Both brewed end of June, fresh and juicy. That is the straight up Envie. Think the DDH comes in a black bottle. Look forward to getting my hands on one soon. 

Sounds like I need to try out Great Raft. Recommendations?

9 hours ago, Bigbens42 said:

Avondale Brewing is opening a brewery in Trussvegas, that will give us two, with Slagheap opening this fall.

There's also going to be a Melt opening. Downtown Trussville is about to be awesome. 

That is going to be big time for you locals. A bit jealous. :beer2:

48 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

Both brewed end of June, fresh and juicy. That is the straight up Envie. Think the DDH comes in a black bottle. Look forward to getting my hands on one soon. 

Sounds like I need to try out Great Raft. Recommendations?

Ah! I see now. I misread the original post and skimmed the picture on my crappy phone. Correct, the DDH is in black labels. Great, great beer(Envie alone is fantastic). Did you have the original version of GITM before this year's "reformulation"? Phenomenal beers.

Great Raft has several that are awesome. Their seasonal date some of my favorites. Love their Baltic Porter "Old Mad Joy", as well as farmhouse saison "All My Tomorrows".

They just reformulated their year round lager to a dry hopped pilsner called Southern Drawl. In fact, al their year round offerings are great. Their most sought after beer right now is Grace and Grit, their DIPA. It is really good, juicy with some nice tropical notes.

1 hour ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Ah! I see now. I misread the original post and skimmed the picture on my crappy phone. Correct, the DDH is in black labels. Great, great beer(Envie alone is fantastic). Did you have the original version of GITM before this year's "reformulation"? Phenomenal beers.

Great Raft has several that are awesome. Their seasonal date some of my favorites. Love their Baltic Porter "Old Mad Joy", as well as farmhouse saison "All My Tomorrows".

They just reformulated their year round lager to a dry hopped pilsner called Southern Drawl. In fact, al their year round offerings are great. Their most sought after beer right now is Grace and Grit, their DIPA. It is really good, juicy with some nice tropical notes.

I never had the older formula, but really like the new one. 

I will add GR to my list on my friends next trip.  Old Mad Joy and Grace and Grit sound really interesting. Thanks for the recs. :cheers:

I never had the older formula, but really like the new one. 

I will add GR to my list on my friends next trip.  Old Mad Joy and Grace and Grit sound really interesting. Thanks for the recs. :cheers:

Copy that. Glad I could help!

Oh, and I live right across the river from your buddy.

2 hours ago, AUFAN78 said:

That is going to be big time for you locals. A bit jealous. :beer2:

Going from 0 to 2 breweries within the span of a year tickles me pink, and the wife and I love melt. Awesome sandwiches and cocktails. 

Archived