The Benefits of Obamacare

AUcivE09

I posted the following and realize it probably deserves its own thread:

Nothing went down for me. My employer is paying more and I am paying more begining January 2014. I was thrilled with my insurance as it was. Now my deductibles are going up - copays are going up - and I will be paying ~$90 more per month on my premium while the state will be paying ~$100 more per person. I fail to see how this helps me at all! For Christ sake I may loose my dental all together.

If the previous was broken - this is far from the answer. The state of Alabama has been FLOODED with 19-26 yr olds not in school, not working, or not working a job that provides ins.

Where is the benefit and what was fixed?

OK, so I'll ask you the same question as EMT: Do you know what the total cost of your insurance premium was? (both your and your employer's "contribution")

Yes. This year the total premium was $780 - $765 covered by the state and $15 was my part each month. That number jumps to $825 (presumably - $800 is the number they want) covered by my employer and my part will be ~$115 per month begining January 2014 (Total Premium of ~$940).

If you smoke - add $45/month

If you do not get a wellness exam - add $25/month

Just in premiums that is $160/month increase. Our deductibles are currently set to double and co-pay could go up as much as $20. None of this (deductibles and co-pay) has been finalized and will not be until August.

So - what are the benefits? As a middle class American I am looking at either a $2000 paycut or $2000 in extra taxes, depending on how you see it, all while gaining absolutely nothing.

Nothing went down for me. My employer is paying more and I am paying more begining January 2014. I was thrilled with my insurance as it was. Now my deductibles are going up - copays are going up - and I will be paying ~$90 more per month on my premium while the state will be paying ~$100 more per person. I fail to see how this helps me at all! For Christ sake I may loose my dental all together.

If the previous was broken - this is far from the answer. The state of Alabama has been FLOODED with 19-26 yr olds not in school, not working, or not working a job that provides ins.

OK, so I'll ask you the same question as EMT: Do you know what the total cost of your insurance premium was? (both your and your employer's "contribution")

Yes. This year the total premium was $780 - $765 covered by the state and $15 was my part each month. That number jumps to $825 (presumably - $800 is the number they want) covered by my employer and my part will be ~$115 per month begining January 2014 (Total Premium of ~$940).

Just in premiums that is $160/month increase. Our deductibles are currently set to double and co-pay could go up as much as $20. None of this (deductibles and co-pay) has been finalized and will not be until August.

So - what are the benefits? As a middle class American I am looking at either a $2000 paycut or $2000 in extra taxes, depending on how you see it, all while gaining absolutely nothing.

Good luck!

These are about the only benefits I've heard of, but this will cause rates to go up to provide the coverage.

• If you have "adult children" under the age of 26, your health policy must cover them if they have no other coverage and you list them.
  • Pre existing medical conditions must be covered for children under 19 and in 2014 this applies to all.

cptau - I can get onboard with the preexisiting and under 19 part but I consider medical care a luxury and not a right, therefore, I cannot agree with the first point. This is Act is a great idea - if we had the $$$ to fund it.

Archived