Coach Dye weighs in on the HUNH whiners

RunInRed

"The hurry-up, no-huddle offenses come in different varieties, but they have one thing in common when they are run well by good players--they are very exciting to watch. I think most fans would rather see an exciting offense than a slow, methodical style of play."

Never underestimate the "lobbying" (ch-ching) power of the Notre Dame's, Bama's and USC's of the world. Under the guise of "safety", the NCAA will proabably at least need to give this, er, issue the time of day. And BSPN et al will use it as a bludgeoning tool to stir up "discussion" when every non-sunshine state team succeeds with the hurry up this season. Look for most former defensive jocks in the booth du jour to wax eloquent about "kids' safety first" too, especially when any defensive player gets hurt during a hurry up O game.

Never underestimate the "lobbying" (ch-ching) power of the Notre Dame's, Bama's and USC's of the world. Under the guise of "safety", the NCAA will proabably at least need to give this, er, issue the time of day. And BSPN et al will use it as a bludgeoning tool to stir up "discussion" when every non-sunshine state team succeeds with the hurry up this season. Look for most former defensive jocks in the booth du jour to wax eloquent about "kids' safety first" too, especially when any defensive player gets hurt during a hurry up O game.

Yep, we're going to get an earful from Pollack the first time it happens. I'm already cringing.

Yep, this will be the topic of the season by every knuckle head in the booth. :puke:

I agree with Coach. It's ridiculous to claim safety as their concern. The offense is out there, too. It isn't like the defense is running more plays than them. If the coaches who run the HUNH thought it was a safety issue with their players, they wouldn't run it.

I agree with kevin scarbinski, if they are worried about injury then go back to a ten game season the AD coaching staff can take a pay cut.

Better yet go back to one platoon footbal and linemen will weigh less than 250 lbs.

Little doc

Yep, we're going to get an earful from Pollack the first time it happens. I'm already cringing.

I seem to use the mute button more often when he's giving his opinions and "insights". I don't know what it is exactly, but he really grates on my nerves.

Hate to quibble, but I disagree with the notion that a defense by having lots of time to set up has an "advantage" over the offense, which after all, chooses and initiates the play. But then, I don't think he really meant it that way.

Otherwise, it is obvious that the HUNH eliminates whatever advantages the defense gains by slow play, which are considerable.

And as Dye mentioned, this is not something really new. It's fascinating to me how some coaches like Malzahn have decided to exploit the HUNH as a standard game strategy. It seems so obvious in hindsight.

It will also be interesting to see the weaknesses, if any, of the HUNH as the season progresses, as well as how effective it can be as defenses adjust to it.

Man, I wish my father was still alive to watch this.

I agree with Coach. It's ridiculous to claim safety as their concern. The offense is out there, too. It isn't like the defense is running more plays than them. If the coaches who run the HUNH thought it was a safety issue with their players, they wouldn't run it.

+1

They need to be reminded that there is no excuse for a player to continue play if he is so gassed as to be a danger to himself or others. :-\

If there is a "danger" in such a player continuing play, the coach, and/or the captains, or even the player himself need to be taught to take him out of the game to re-coup.

It's not the offenses fault for their failure to do so.

There is no way you can ban the HUNH offense. Coaches can argue that you have substitutions to put in just in case your starters are running sluggish. Why should coaches like Malzahn and others have to slow down just because your backups can't perform as good as your starters. I mean players can get hurt just playing against a pro style offense. It really makes no difference. I am sure to get around the HUNH Sabear and Fatboy will talk to the refs to take their time to set the football between plays.

They should just let the Defense substitute if they want to but not have any time restriction on the O. If the D gets caught in transition of moving players in and out they either get a penalty for too many players or they are just out of alignment. In other words, substitute at your own risk.

So the only reason this is considered a safety concern is that tired defensive players could get hurt, is that right? So what is the difference between them being tired during the game and being tired at practice? During Bielema's press conference at SEC media days he spoke about how hard and tough his practices were. He talked about all the hat on hat middle drills they did and how gassed the players were. What is the difference in terms of player safety? This is a slippery slope. If a coach wants to talk about player safety when players are tired then they need to be ready for some interference at practice for safety concerns.

Imagine one could argue the inverse... that with a fresher "D" there's greater risk of injury to the offense? Maybe with fresher legs, rested strength, and re-restored stamina it could be argued, that an individual is more capable of inflicting greater damage, and more often. Unless being winded resulted in additional frustrated cheap shots like chop blocks and late hits.

Maybe we could have a 15 minute break time between each quarter. We're trying to avoid injuries here.

Better yet, let's make the game an all day affair. We'll have the first quarter in the morning and break for Brunch. Play a quarter,get out our blankies and have siesta time. Third quarter in the mid afternoon followed by Tea and Crumpets. And finally in the evening we'll finish the game. No kick offs, mind you, someone could get hurt. Two hand touch and 5 mississippi rush.

Sounds good huh?

They should just let the Defense substitute if they want to but not have any time restriction on the O. If the D gets caught in transition of moving players in and out they either get a penalty for too many players or they are just out of alignment. In other words, substitute at your own risk.

Generally this is the rule now.....and it's because the defenses often get caught in the transition, that defensive oriented coaches want slow the pace of play so they can easily substitute to suit the down and distance situation. The age of defensive specialization (nickel packages, dime packages, etc) is being neutralized by offensive schemes that utilize multi-purpose players throughout a series. Adapt or die.....that's what it's always been.

HUNH could be what starts Saban down the path of retirement. The game is obviously changing, either he has to change with it or move on. Obviously more and more teams are starting to run some form of this offense. "By change with it" doesn't mean to change your offense to the HUNH if you don't want to but rather change how your defense has to scheme against it, which sounds like he is already doing. With Bama notorious for medical hardship's seems odd that Saban would say anything about another team not being safe for the players.

Its funny how hockey has figured out how to substitute while a play is going on without being hurt on defense. Yes the puck is usually shot to the other end, but the replacements are always ready to hit the ice and the others come off. Just takes preparation.

So the only reason this is considered a safety concern is that tired defensive players could get hurt, is that right? So what is the difference between them being tired during the game and being tired at practice? During Bielema's press conference at SEC media days he spoke about how hard and tough his practices were. He talked about all the hat on hat middle drills they did and how gassed the players were. What is the difference in terms of player safety? This is a slippery slope. If a coach wants to talk about player safety when players are tired then they need to be ready for some interference at practice for safety concerns.

Yeah, I thought that was pretty funny too. In my experience, practices were far more fatiguing - and brutal - than any game I ever played it.

But then, that was when concussions were simply laughed off as "getting your bell rung". Heck, we were dehydrated the whole time (and the rest of the day for that matter). Our water intake during summer two-a-days was restricted to a few oz. for Chrissakes. It was totally insane.

Maybe we could have a 15 minute break time between each quarter. We're trying to avoid injuries here.

Better yet, let's make the game an all day affair. We'll have the first quarter in the morning and break for Brunch. Play a quarter,get out our blankies and have siesta time. Third quarter in the mid afternoon followed by Tea and Crumpets. And finally in the evening we'll finish the game. No kick offs, mind you, someone could get hurt. Two hand touch and 5 mississippi rush.

Sounds good huh?

LOL! :hellyeah:

Bourbon in the morning? That may be a long siesta!

Saban just hates the fact he can not stop it. He believes that everything in football should be catered to him, and his beliefs. He is a spoiled coach JUST like the fans of his program.

Saban just hates the fact he can not stop it. He believes that everything in football should be catered to him, and his beliefs. He is a spoiled coach JUST like the fans of his program.

^^ Spot on^^

Saban can stop it. It just puts him out of his comfort zone IMO. AtM barely beat him with a heisman qb. We barely beat him with a heisman qb. I think it just throws off his defensive play calling a bit and makes him work harder and he doesn't like it.

Archived