2015 4* LB Richard McBryde commits to AU!

EagleDamnWar

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any idea why he hasn't pulled the plug and committed yet?

Was never planning to. His plan was to always get to his Senior season and commit. Not sure if Keith hits on this one but the most recent thing McBryde has said is he want to commit now a week before his senior season starts

• 1 month later...

Bump for some bad but not horrible news

http://www.al.com/sp...bryde_push.html

For months, Charles Henderson linebacker Richard McBryde eyed a summer day for when he'd announce to the world where he'd play college football.

But despite pressure to make a decision soon, McBryde now plans to wait until after his senior season to pick a school.

"I'm trying to wait until I take my official visits and get to the places I want to see," McBryde said. "LSU and Florida (are two). I'm planning on going west to Southern California."

The 6-foot-2, 210-pound linebacker from Charles Henderson in Troy has 17 scholarships offers, including Alabama, LSU and Florida, but has maintained Auburn as his leader for a long time. He says it's Auburn on top and then everyone else is fighting for second place at this point. The four-star prospect, according to 247Composite, visited the school for its Big Cat Weekend and continues to be impressed by the Tigers.

"They have a great coaching staff," he said. "It's like a family up there. They are real cool. It's not that far from home."

RELATED: Auburn's list of commitments for the Class of 2015

Auburn coaches have told McBryde he "needs to hurry up and get on board," but he's resisted committing anywhere thus far. He's intent on visiting different schools -- Miami is another possible visit -- before ending the recruiting process. In addition to Auburn, McBryde has visited Tennessee and Ole Miss this summer.

Beyond recruiting, McBryde is working on getting bigger and getting used to a new defensive scheme. McBryde and the rest of his Charles Henderson teammates are on their third head coach in the last 12 months.

Mike Dean, who guided the school to a runner-up finish in Class 4A, left in December. He was replaced by Jamey Dubose, but the former Florence coach left for Central-Phenix City before ever coaching a game at Charles Henderson.

"When I first heard about (Dubose leaving) I was sour, but it was a family thing," he said. "I'm just focused on football."

McBryde had 86 tackles, 23.5 tackles for loss and six sacks last season as a junior. He was named to the All-State team by the Alabama Sports Writers Association. He was also one of four linebackers selected to the 2013 AL.com Super All-State Football Team.

To me this doesn't sound too good for us. JMO though.

As bad as we need quality LBs do we "reserve" a slot for this guy until January? Guess that depends how confident the staff is that AU is really in the lead. ...and maybe what Holland does?

we still lead, kid just wants to take some visits. I know we were hoping he would commit soon and help build momentum, but honestly a commit just doesn't mean that much anymore until pen meets paper. If he wants to take his visits he probably still would even as a commit, and it would make very little difference, since other teams would still be going after him

I don't see anything negative. If he commits, his recruitment from others may drop off and he doesn't get to take the visits he wants. I'm ok with him continuously naming us his leader and enjoying the recruiting process of trips around the country. We'd all like a full class in July, but then we'd be bitching about the press or media or momentum before NSD.

As bad as we need quality LBs do we "reserve" a slot for this guy until January? Guess that depends how confident the staff is that AU is really in the lead. ...and maybe what Holland does?

Only if we can't get a suitable replacement that's enthusiastic about Auburn and wants to help recruit. We've been down this road with wishy-washy linebackers before and it has ended poorly for us.

We need to find a couple more guys like Tre Williams and Deshaun Davis were last year. They were all AU from the get go and didn't piddle around. Lets find two like that to accompany D. Williams in this class and then we can see if we still have a slot for Mr. Slow Play when the time comes.

The article mentioned that the coaches told him to hurry up and get on board so I can't blame the coaches for giving his spot to another quality linebacker. You snooze you lose. Jordan Colbert is taking a visit to Georgia later on and I won't fault him ever unless he decommits from Auburn . I have no problem with visits bc visits are the fun part about recruiting for 18 year old kid's. Mcbryde should go ahead and commit and take the visits he wants to take. He said in the article, that the other schools are only fighting for second place so why not commit?

Only if we can't get a suitable replacement that's enthusiastic about Auburn and wants to help recruit. We've been down this road with wishy-washy linebackers before and it has ended poorly for us.

We need to find a couple more guys like Tre Williams and Deshaun Davis were last year. They were all AU from the get go and didn't piddle around. Lets find two like that to accompany D. Williams in this class and then we can see if we still have a slot for Mr. Slow Play when the time comes.

Holland is key to the class though IMO. I wish he would go ahead. I know he has never planed to, but I agree with you Mikey, we could use a highly recruited LB to commit and start recruiting for us.

Holland has no affect. The staff want 2 more quality LBs if they can find them. If we miss on one or both then you start looking at guys like Tevon Coney and Josh McMillon

Haha ,never thought I would see you say that regarding a linebacker.

:thumbsup: Love it.

But this does makes me think someone has hacked Mikey's computer. But whether this is really Mikey or some cheap imitation, I'm 100% in agreement.

Why? I have repeatedly posted my high regards for Davis and Williams. I also realize that we've had over a 50% "disappointment rate" with linebacker signees, so last year's two weren't enough. The two we got were good prospects, but we needed at least three, four would have been better.

This year, if we've already got three good ones later on, then yes, McBryde might have to give way to some top player at another position. I do not see waiting for him and then ending up short of LB signees the first Wednesday in February because some girl at UCLA winked at him.

Why? I have repeatedly posted my high regards for Davis and Williams. I also realize that we've had over a 50% "disappointment rate" with linebacker signees, so last year's two weren't enough. The two we got were good prospects, but we needed at least three, four would have been better.

This year, if we've already got three good ones later on, then yes, McBryde might have to give way to some top player at another position. I do not see waiting for him and then ending up short of LB signees the first Wednesday in February because some girl at UCLA winked at him.

I just don't understand why you AU to take 4 LBS every year. I agree auburn has had some bad luck with linebackers, i feel it was because the previous staff not really recruiting well at the position and consistently changing defense coordinators. I think we are in a pretty good place right now though, i like D. Williams and im sure that we will get holland or/both mcbryde. I also really feel we are going to have good linebacker play this year with Frost and mckinzy, they looked like they were getting comfortable in the scheme by the end of the season.

I just don't understand why you AU to take 4 LBS every year. I agree auburn has had some bad luck with linebackers, i feel it was because the previous staff not really recruiting well at the position and consistently changing defense coordinators. I think we are in a pretty good place right now though, i like D. Williams and im sure that we will get holland or/both mcbryde. I also really feel we are going to have good linebacker play this year with Frost and mckinzy, they looked like they were getting comfortable in the scheme by the end of the season.

I think we need to take at least three, preferably four every year until we find two that actually go on the field and perform to the level that they are considered for all-SEC honors. We haven't seen all-SEC level LB play since Josh Bynes graduated in 2010.

Much as the QB is the key to offensive success, LB is the key to defensive success. We've had outstanding QB's recently. If the defense is to reach the performance level of the offense we must get outstanding LB's and we haven't had them. "Barely adequate" is the best we've done there since 2010 and the only way to correct that is to recruit numbers at the position until we get the talent that's needed.

I think we need to take at least three, preferably four every year until we find two that actually go on the field and perform to the level that they are considered for all-SEC honors. We haven't seen all-SEC level LB play since Josh Bynes graduated in 2010.

Much as the QB is the key to offensive success, LB is the key to defensive success. We've had outstanding QB's recently. If the defense is to reach the performance level of the offense we must get outstanding LB's and we haven't had them. "Barely adequate" is the best we've done there since 2010 and the only way to correct that is to recruit numbers at the position until we get the talent that's needed.

JMO but after QB's, Linebackers are probably the most heavily recruited athletes each year....and our 4-2-5 is not necessarily the defense that attracts kids who see themselves as a future NFL linebacker.... and It's tough to break into the list of top defensive programs that attract top rated LBs. Maybe we can get among the elite schools but we seem to have a way to go. I haven't researched the subject but seems that over the years many of our better LBs were developed on the job.

I'm still of the opinion that we should recruit as many top LBs as we can.... but also be looking at kids with the physical attributes that can be developed once they get here....

JMO but after QB's, Linebackers are probably the most heavily recruited athletes each year....and our 4-2-5 is not necessarily the defense that attracts kids who see themselves as a future NFL linebacker.... and It's tough to break into the list of top defensive programs that attract top rated LBs. Maybe we can get among the elite schools but we seem to have a way to go. I haven't researched the subject but seems that over the years many of our better LBs were developed on the job.

I'm still of the opinion that we should recruit as many top LBs as we can.... but also be looking at kids with the physical attributes that can be developed once they get here....

I'm with Mikey here. We tend to get into recruiting for the playmaker, the guy that has an awesome highlight reel, usually a QB, RB, WR on offense and a CB, S, or DL on defense because they are the guys that have the awesome highlights. But more important are the OL type guys, who pave the way for the highlight makers, or the LBs who have probably the toughest job on defense. Not only are the usually tasked with being the "defensive quarterback" in terms of getting the play in and making sure everyone is lined up correctly, but they also have to have extremely good athleticism to run with the offensive athletes, as well as good size to plug up holes in the middle.

If we could only improve one position on defense this year, I would choose LB. It's where we need the most improvement, and it will have the biggest impact on the rest of the defense.

I'm going to respectfully offer that Mikey might agree that he's had to explain his position on enough threads that we don't need to run the numbers yet again here. Yes, I know I'm pi$$in' in the wind, but I thought I'd try because I believe in work, hard work :)

I imagine the coaches will continue to gauge McBryde's interest and survey the landscape. If the 2 circles of the Venn diagram cease to overlap, then we'll know McBryde's out of the picture. Until then, he's just a stud recruit who we lead for and who is taking his visits. Good for us and good for him.

Ole Ellis "system" makes the Auburn linebacker recruiting discussion a bit more complicated than most programs. We always need pure run stoppers and guys playing linebacker in high school of course, but as far as singing "linebackers", more than most colleges we go after guys without the linebacker label -safeties, athletes and Jonothon Ford do-it-all types - recruited by AU as such and only projected/speculated as possible beef up projects for "star", spur, rogue, bandit, or whatever Ellis' fearsome label du jour is.

Ole Ellis "system" makes the Auburn linebacker recruiting discussion a bit more complicated than most programs. We always need pure run stoppers and guys playing linebacker in high school of course, but as far as singing "linebackers", more than most colleges we go after guys without the linebacker label -safeties, athletes and Jonothon Ford do-it-all types - recruited by AU as such and only projected/speculated as possible beef up projects for "star", spur, rogue, bandit, or whatever Ellis' fearsome label du jour is.

I still think that we should call that the "Talon" or "Claw" position.

Archived