Tony Barbee Out as Head Coach.

WarDamnEagle#1

The Under Armour deal hurts recruiting, but ultimately a coach who can develop a team of players that execute under a designed system WILL win. There is way more to college basketball success than just recruiting.

Yep, this has been proven many times over by the Gonzaga's and Butler's of the world.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always hate to see AU lose in any sport but I was kind of glad that it went down like this. We needed a new coach bad and a couple of wins in the SEC tournament might have persuaded JJ to keep Barbee. We will stink next year but atlast we can have someone new in that can hopefully start to actually build a team.

The Under Armour deal hurts recruiting, but ultimately a coach who can develop a team of players that execute under a designed system WILL win. There is way more to college basketball success than just recruiting.

Yep, this has been proven many times over by the Gonzaga's and Butler's of the world.

Butler and Gonzaga are Nike schools....just saying

Barbee signed 21 players in his four signing classes at Auburn; Of those 21, only 9 remain on the roster, and five of those just finished their first year in the program, putting Auburn's APR at risk.

Nike nor UA controls this. This falls directly on the coach's shoulder's, everything else is an excuse. Winner's find a way and Loser's find an excuse!

Butler and Gonzaga are Nike schools....just saying

They weren't always good though. Those programs were built more recently. Nike doesn't hurt though.

I have a cousin who played for Lsu and now plays for nc state and he was all freshman all American. I have a cousin right now who has offers from at least 15 D1 schools right now and is a high prospect going through the process as we speak. I have a close friend who played for Oregon transferred to Wichita st and led them to the final 4 and I've played college ball (not on d1 level but seen alot on AAU teams).

Some of you seem to really know your football but once again if you want to try to make believe the shoe contract is no big deal you just don't know b ball. You may know what you just see on t.v.but that's about it. A nba hall of famer, players, coaches all says it matters then you guys on the board want to say ehhh no big deal! Lol! Ok then....

@AllenPayne2_: I can say this now... We'll struggle as long as we are under Under Armour.

Interesting that a player (former now) would say this. Do shoes and jerseys preclude a team from getting any better over the course of a season?

It's not just the shoes in this case. It's the insider trading. AAU basketball has monopolized college basketball recruiting.

^^This - Nike pours a lot of big $$$ into those AAU teams/coaches and Nike sponsored camps. It's big money and the AAU coaches feel obligated to steer their hot shot players to Nike schools.

The Auburn Administration should have picked up on this a long time ago and acted accordingly. Instead they chose to stick their heads in the sand and rake in the Under Armour contract money. :-\

I have never been a fan of basketball. The only reason I care about this ----- Auburn. Seriously doubt we hit the homerun hire of name like in softball and baseball. I know Bruce Pearl's name has been kicked around (no pun intended) and I hope we can land someone of his talent - NCAA be damned. I dont care if our basketball team wins a NC - it would be nice - but I would take a win in the SEC tourney and for us to be condsidered a bubble team each season. I dont think that is too much to ask.

Edit: Not too much to ask for even an Under Armor school. Basketball is just a weird game if this actually means something.

On the Pearl topic, since there is always outside "encouragement" for the NCAA to snoop around Auburn, I don't see us risking a hire that may bring extra scrutiny. Pure and simple, Auburn doesn't want the NCAA showing up on campus over basketball. Football is so much more important than basketball that it's not worth the risk. The new coach will have to be clean coming in.

I have a cousin who played for Lsu and now plays for nc state and he was all freshman all American. I have a cousin right now who has offers from at least 15 D1 schools right now and is a high prospect going through the process as we speak. I have a close friend who played for Oregon transferred to Wichita st and led them to the final 4 and I've played college ball (not on d1 level but seen alot on AAU teams).

Some of you seem to really know your football but once again if you want to try to make believe the shoe contract is no big deal you just don't know b ball. You may know what you just see on t.v.but that's about it. A nba hall of famer, players, coaches all says it matters then you guys on the board want to say ehhh no big deal! Lol! Ok then....

Well explain why it matters instead of giving us your resume.

The AU Administration has spent +$90 million on the new Arena, they're willing to pay a coach $1.5mm/yr, the fan support is fantastic if there's a good product on the court. With all that said, if there is even one hint of a hurdle or an obstical (Under Armour contract) that impedes the program from being successful, then AU needs to remove that hurdle ASAP and go from there. Don't bring in a coach that can't get access to the best players (NIKE AAU players) because he works under the umbrella of Under Armour.

I too played AAU ball and some college ball (not on the D1 level) and have many friends go through the AAU / college process. Basketball recruiting is more focused/involved at the AAU level than the actual high school level. Nike has like a 98% market share in the basketball shoe market and pour money into sponsorships of all the elite AAU teams. Those coaches have a deep relationship with Nike to fund their teams, attract top players and keep their jobs (their jobs and reputations literally depend on Nike's sponsorship). This obviously creates a bias towards what schools their players will attend and does affect recruiting. However, let's not go crazy with this being the CAUSE of AU's problems.

There are plenty of Nike basketballs schools who are terrible at basketball, switching is not the answer. Besides UA has been great for us in other sports, including football. Have to look at the issue as a whole.

It matters because of the money Nike funnels to the AAU coaches/teams/camps. The best athletes play AAU ball - not YMCA or church league ball. AAU basketball is big time, and Nike funds it and those coaches steer their players to Nike affiliated schools. The parents of those players give the AAU coaches total control and (for lack of a better word) negotiating power with colleges that are interested in recruiting those players.

To get the best recruiting advantage you have to appeal to the kids, in the "basketball culture" Under Armour sucks. Nike knows what they are doing - they provide the hottest brand of shoes, they've done it for decades. They know how to get their brand out to the public and kids will pay any amount of money to wear Nike shoes.

Attend an AAU game - a high school game at some of this states big high schools - what kind of shoes are those players wearing?

I too played AAU ball and some college ball (not on the D1 level) and have many friends go through the AAU / college process. Basketball recruiting is more focused/involved at the AAU level than the actual high school level. Nike has like a 98% market share in the basketball shoe market and pour money into sponsorships of all the elite AAU teams. Those coaches have a deep relationship with Nike to fund their teams, attract top players and keep their jobs (their jobs and reputations literally depend on Nike's sponsorship). This obviously creates a bias towards what schools their players will attend and does affect recruiting. However, let's not go crazy with this being the CAUSE of AU's problems.

There are plenty of Nike basketballs schools who are terrible at basketball, switching is not the answer. Besides UA has been great for us in other sports, including football. Have to look at the issue as a whole.

The UA shoe contract is not the CAUSE of AU's problems. But when a program is willing to spend $90mm on a new arena, and $1.5mm/yr on a coach, and pour money into the sport for recruiting then that program would be wise to remove even the smallest of hurdles the coach may have to get the attention of the best athletes. If Under Armour can't get you access to the AAU coaches and his players, then your program is at a recruiting disadvantage. Nike is the King of AAU basketball - why have a contract with an inferior product that also puts you in an immediate recruiting disadvantage?

For those wondering, the reason Payne said that is because Under Armour is not a sponsor of AAU, Nike is, so many AAU coaches do not want to send their kids to schools not sponsored by Nike, because Nike would begin to pull sponsorship money. This doesn't have anything to do with fear, shoes or jerseys. It's all recruiting

Just for what it is worth, the national championship game last year was between Michigan and Louisville, neither is a nike school.

Just for what it is worth, the national championship game last year was between Michigan and Louisville, neither is a nike school.

They are adidas though, and adidas is on par with Nike as the two major players in AAU sponsorship land. You guys can be stubborn. Under Armour = no clout in AAU recruiting = huge obstacle in getting best players. Our Basketball program can be under a different sponsorship than football. To me it's a no brainier to switch. If your argument is shoes don't matter and it's not the reason we aren't good, then I'm sorry but you are wrong.

I'm waiting on you or anyone else to explain why it doesn't matter.....especially when you don't have a resume....

They are adidas though, and adidas is on par with Nike as the two major players in AAU sponsorship land. You guys can be stubborn. Under Armour = no clout in AAU recruiting = huge obstacle in getting best players. Our Basketball program can be under a different sponsorship than football. To me it's a no brainier to switch. If your argument is shoes don't matter and it's not the reason we aren't good, then I'm sorry but you are wrong.

+1

When a program is willing to spend millions upon millions on a sport why not remove a huge obsticle that puts your program at an immediate disadvantage from recruiting the best players and getting access to their AAU coaches?

I'm waiting on you or anyone else to explain why it doesn't matter.....especially when you don't have a resume....

You don't know what I have kid.

Provide the link to your "resume" on this discussion....I'll wait. But really I don't care what you have I suggest if you don't want any replies like that you pick a different way to talk to people. I have no problem either way

Archived