Tony Barbee Out as Head Coach.

WarDamnEagle#1

From a different topic, here is a list of UA schools, their conferences, and their records. Can this be coincidence that all but a couple have losing records?

Updated through 3/2/14

Conference record; overall record; position in conference

SEC

AU 5-11; 13-14; tied 12 of 14

USCe 4-11; 11-18; 13 of 14

ACC

Maryland 7-9; 15-14; T8 of 15

Boston College 4-12; 8-21; T13 of 15

American

South FL 3-13; 12-17; T8 of 10

Temple 2-14; 7-21; 10 of 10

Missouri Valley

Southern Illinois 9-9; 13-18; T4 of 10

Big 10

Northwestern 5-11; 12-17; Tlast

Pac 12

Utah 8-8; 19-9; T7 of 12

Big 12

Texas Tech 5-11; 13-16; 9 of 10

Atlantic 10

LaSalle 6-8; 14-14; 8 of 13

Southland

Lamar 2-14; 3-259; 14 of 14

Big Sky

Montana St 9-8; 14-14; 6 of 11

America East

UMBC 5-11; 9-20; 6 of 9

Summit League

South Dakota St 10-4; 18-11; 2 of 8

Colonial Athletic Association

Towson 13-3; 22-9; 2 of 9

Patriot League

Loyola (MD) 6-12; 11-18; T7 of 10

As previously stated Colorado St and St Johns are in year 1 for hoops as UA teams. Notre Dame switched during the first few weeks of the hoops season. I am including them with an asterik since they haven't had time to be affected by the recruiting disadvantage that I think UA teams enjoy. These teams are included below.

Mountain West

Colorado State 6-10; 15-14; 8 of 11

Big East

St. John's 9-8; 19-11; 6 of 10

ACC

Notre Dame 6-11; 15-15; 11 of 15

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alabama signed most of the state's top talent as well.

That isn't saying much. Not like Alabama's been kickin' ass lately either.

Don't tell the resident basketball expert that! :laugh:/>

Lol. Feelings hurt? What will I ever do!

Not a very impressive list...but then again, none of them have been national powers in the past 2 decades so it's hard to draw conclusions.

JMO but anyone who buys the shoe argument must also believe that the UA outfits were the cause that our ice skating team did not win at the Olympics. Losers always looking for excuses reasons for their failures.

Actually you make my point. They suck but they will still get one or two high rated players every year. And they sucked this year I know but how long have they been thisbad? Really a question because I was thinking one year they were pretty good but maybe this isn't recent

Not a very impressive list...but then again, none of them have been national powers in the past 2 decades so it's hard to draw conclusions.

JMO but anyone who buys the shoe argument must also believe that the UA outfits were the cause that our ice skating team did not win at the Olympics. Losers always looking for excuses reasons for their failures.

You and others are missing the point it seems. Its not about the product that Nike and UA produce. Its about the access they provide to recruits.

I personally thought the UA vs Nike thing was a bunch of crap when I first heard about it. But the more I keep hearing and the fact that multiple people that would know about these things keep saying that it is a problem then I have to believe the problem exists. I don't know to what extent the UA contract hurts our BB program but it must to some extent or people wouldn't keep bringing it up.

This isn't logical because Olympics you get the best athletes in the country on one team regardless, but if say the brand of ice skates made a difference in the top 5 skaters skating for a us select team and a us national team then it would make a difference

The fact of the matter is, AU is not going to change the contract with UA. Just not going to happen. I understand that UA could be a disadvantage in basketball. The only way AU is going to compete in the SEC and get around the UA disadvantage is to make a homerun hire. I thought Lebo was a strikeout from the get go. I thought that the Barbee hire was good based on what he did at UTEP, but I was wrong. To get the kids to come to AU, you have to have a "brand name" coach. The only coach out there that is available and may come to AU is Bruce Pearl. Bruce Pearl can recruit elite talent, even to Auburn. I think that anyone else, other than Bruce Pearl, would be a major disappointment. WDE!

The fact of the matter is, AU is not going to change the contract with UA. Just not going to happen. I understand that UA could be a disadvantage in basketball. The only way AU is going to compete in the SEC and get around the UA disadvantage is to make a homerun hire.

You don't know this so don't state it as fact. I know we've considered doing so before so don't act like you know it's off the table to ditch UA for basketball.

Has nothing to do with the shoes and apparel UA puts out vs Nike.

The fact of the matter is, AU is not going to change the contract with UA. Just not going to happen. I understand that UA could be a disadvantage in basketball. The only way AU is going to compete in the SEC and get around the UA disadvantage is to make a homerun hire.

You don't know this so don't state it as fact. I know we've considered doing so before so don't act like you know it's off the table to ditch UA for basketball.

Also, right now Baylor has Nike for football and Adidas for basketball. Until Maryland's last basketball coach retired, they had Nike for basketball and Under Armour for everything else. It's not like this is unprecedented.

But they have the ability to. Bama biggest hurdle is style of play. Grant plays too slow for the talent he has.

Grant coaches them to play sets too much. These kids in the South have gotta be allowed to just play ball, use their street skills and talent to run the ball from one end of the court to the other and just play ball. Grant slows them down making them set up designed plays.

Also, right now Baylor has Nike for football and Adidas for basketball. Until Maryland's last basketball coach retired, they had Nike for basketball and Under Armour for everything else. It's not like this is unprecedented.

There was a time in the ACC when the basketball coaches had their own shoe deals...Dean Smith at UNCH and Coach K at Duke got more money from their shoe contracts than their salaries. http://www.nytimes.com/1993/04/14/sports/sports-people-college-basketball-a-lucrative-nike-deal-for-krzyzewski.html

So maybe AU could find a way to let the coach make his own deal?

Lord have MERCY!

It's not about the dang product Under Armour provides over the product Nike provides!

Nike is King to AAU basketball - Nike funnels money to the AAU coaches, programs, AND the parents of the players - those coaches have a basic obligation to give access to colleges with a Nike brand over other colleges. Because those AAU coaches can't upset the cash flow that Nike pads their pockets with. AAU basketball is as dirty as they come and if the NCAA ever chose to look into the schenanigans that go in those programs, the kids would never be eligible to play for a NCAA program. AAU is a filthy buisness, but in the world of basketball AAU runs the show and their sponsor "Nike" gives them the $$ to do it. The AAU coaches are nothing more than pimps, Nike is the paying John and the kids have the goodies.

But they have the ability to. Bama biggest hurdle is style of play. Grant plays too slow for the talent he has.

Grant coaches them to play sets too much. These kids in the South have gotta be allowed to just play ball, use their street skills and talent to run the ball from one end of the court to the other and just play ball. Grant slows them down making them set up designed plays.

Funny, that's almost what I want out of our next coach. Not to slow our guys down, push the ball down the court fast and force them get back on D. But... I want a half court offense with a lot more definition and play sets than what we have been running. We had too little off ball movement and lack of screens for me.

Don't tell the resident basketball expert that! :laugh:/>

Lol. Feelings hurt? What will I ever do!

If it makes you feel like more of a man, sure. Feel better?

I've said it for years. Find a coach who will cheat. We haven't been to the big dance in over a decade (2002-2003). No coach is going to succeed at Auburn unless he cheats. You can tell me that's a lie, but I have history on my side. Auburn basketball is worse than both Vanderbilt football and Kentucky football. At least those programs have shown seasons of making it to a bowl game. What's the worse thing that can happen if Auburn cheats and gets caught? It can't be any worse than it is today.

I've said it for years. Find a coach who will cheat. We haven't been to the big dance in over a decade (2002-2003). No coach is going to succeed at Auburn unless he cheats. You can tell me that's a lie, but I have history on my side. Auburn basketball is worse than both Vanderbilt football and Kentucky football. At least those programs have shown seasons of making it to a bowl game. What's the worse thing that can happen if Auburn cheats and gets caught? It can't be any worse than it is today.

not-sure-if-trolling-or-just-stupid.jpg

not-sure-if-trolling-or-just-stupid.jpg

He/she/it actually has a point regarding AU basketball success in a historical sense. However; AU's athletic bread is buttered on both sides by football and if having a rogue basketball program brings unwanted attention from the NCAA towards the football program for any reason, it is not worth the risk. That being said, the NCAA has no power at this time.

wde

Lord have MERCY!

It's not about the dang product Under Armour provides over the product Nike provides!

Nike is King to AAU basketball - Nike funnels money to the AAU coaches, programs, AND the parents of the players - those coaches have a basic obligation to give access to colleges with a Nike brand over other colleges. Because those AAU coaches can't upset the cash flow that Nike pads their pockets with. AAU basketball is as dirty as they come and if the NCAA ever chose to look into the schenanigans that go in those programs, the kids would never be eligible to play for a NCAA program. AAU is a filthy buisness, but in the world of basketball AAU runs the show and their sponsor "Nike" gives them the $$ to do it. The AAU coaches are nothing more than pimps, Nike is the paying John and the kids have the goodies.

Bingo

Under Armour is a major player, just not in basketball yet. I bought their stock when they signed up AU and it has almost doubled. The whole thing with the Olympic speed skating was a positive for them. They have defied most experts who thought they could not ever complete with the big boys in the athletic wear dept. I expect them to make major inroads in the basketball front. Maryland is an UA school (where their founder played).

I tell you what we NEED though. A former nba coach. I don't know who off the top of my head but a former player that can still relate. Somebody like Sam Cassell or somebody like that. Hell see if Stockton or Gary Payton want to coach

As important as Nike may be to recruiting in basketball, we ultimately need to get the right coach to be successful first. Maybe during the summer we can take basketball out of the UnderArmour deal and go with Nike.

At this point I'm not confident we can get anyone established and will just end up getting another up-and-comer coach or an assistant.

Archived