5* SG Mustapha Heron commits to AU!

RunInRed

11 minutes ago, milehighfan said:

How many times have all of us been excited about basketball recruiting at Auburn? We  might come away with one, maybe two bona fide stars. Then, for one reason or another they would not pan out. Hopefully, these guys will have the mindset to turn  the basketball program around:wareagle:

Hiring jackass coaches doesn't really help either though.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, milehighfan said:

How many times have all of us been excited about basketball recruiting at Auburn? We  might come away with one, maybe two bona fide stars. Then, for one reason or another they would not pan out. Hopefully, these guys will have the mindset to turn  the basketball program around:wareagle:

It has been many years since we got anybody as talented as Herron or Purifoy and while they are both good and have potential to go to next level neither is Super Star quality  yet and have to develop more. Both have the capability to grow into NBA players which is good for Auburn as I expect both to be with us at least 2 years. A long with the other talent we are accruing we should get better year to year.

I like getting very good but not quite elite players who can develop into elite players and it gives you some consistency and is easier to build a program around. I am both happy and sad that Wiley is playing this year. With his size and Skill set he to has NBA potential but needs a couple of years seasoning. Being that he plays this year I am worried that after next year we could have 3 players leaving early. Hopefully some of these guys will stick around 3 or 4 years then our program will really be in great shape.

Kentucky gets the elite players who will be replaced by elite players after one year other programs have to develop their talent over 2-4 years.

Just now, AuburnNTexas said:

It has been many years since we got anybody as talented as Herron or Purifoy and while they are both good and have potential to go to next level neither is Super Star quality  yet and have to develop more. Both have the capability to grow into NBA players which is good for Auburn as I expect both to be with us at least 2 years. A long with the other talent we are accruing we should get better year to year.

I like getting very good but not quite elite players who can develop into elite players and it gives you some consistency and is easier to build a program around. I am both happy and sad that Wiley is playing this year. With his size and Skill set he to has NBA potential but needs a couple of years seasoning. Being that he plays this year I am worried that after next year we could have 3 players leaving early. Hopefully some of these guys will stick around 3 or 4 years then our program will really be in great shape.

Kentucky gets the elite players who will be replaced by elite players after one year other programs have to develop their talent over 2-4 years.

Wiley can't leave until after next season. He needs to be 1 full year removed from graduating HS before being able to enter the NBA draft.

Or he can declare for the draft next December but I'd put money on him not doing that.

Unless Purifoy and Heron really light it up consistently for the rest of the year, and show out against our big time opponents, I'd guess both are back next season. Usually you know who your one and done guys are before the season starts and neither was on that radar prior to the season. But you never know with the NBA, as it's not really about college production but how much potential you flash to the scouts.

4 hours ago, Tiger said:

Wiley can't leave until after next season. He needs to be 1 full year removed from graduating HS before being able to enter the NBA draft.

Or he can declare for the draft next December but I'd put money on him not doing that.

Unless Purifoy and Heron really light it up consistently for the rest of the year, and show out against our big time opponents, I'd guess both are back next season. Usually you know who your one and done guys are before the season starts and neither was on that radar prior to the season. But you never know with the NBA, as it's not really about college production but how much potential you flash to the scouts.

That is exactly what I said after next year meaning they would play this year and next year and then all 3 leave. I was also hoping that would not happen or if it did it would only be 1 or 2 of those 3.

19 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

That is exactly what I said after next year meaning they would play this year and next year and then all 3 leave. I was also hoping that would not happen or if it did it would only be 1 or 2 of those 3.

Gotcha. Sorry I misread what you said. Personally I think it's exciting if we are getting 2 and done players because that means we actually have really good players and that alone should result in a major improvement in our program's success compared to our history.

I really think we are going to enjoy the best years in Auburn basketball history under Bruce Pearl and I can't wait for our program to fully get on its feet. We are finally on our way IMO.

But I understand what you are saying, but college basketball is a sport with lots of turnover from year to year so if we want to join the big boys that is something we will have to be taking on...and I'm OK with it.

18 hours ago, Tiger said:

Gotcha. Sorry I misread what you said. Personally I think it's exciting if we are getting 2 and done players because that means we actually have really good players and that alone should result in a major improvement in our program's success compared to our history.

I really think we are going to enjoy the best years in Auburn basketball history under Bruce Pearl and I can't wait for our program to fully get on its feet. We are finally on our way IMO.

But I understand what you are saying, but college basketball is a sport with lots of turnover from year to year so if we want to join the big boys that is something we will have to be taking on...and I'm OK with it.

Yep, and there is nothing easier to sell to a highly rated recruit on than playing time that just opened up because the guy in front of you just decided to start playing for a living.  

I think it's safe to say that we're already doing a good job of selling that idea to recruits given the attention we've been getting from guys like EJ Montgomery and and Khavon Moore in the 2018 class, both of whom are even more highly touted than  Heron or Wiley was. 

He is the most complete player on the AU roster, and he is a true freshman. His play in the Mercer game sealed the win. He did blow a couple of late free throws, but made up for it in his hustle and heady play in the last minute or so. I have provided the link to a video of the final play of the game. Don't focus on Dunans. Watch Heron and the other 3 AU players on the court (once the ball is in-bounded): Purifoy, Wiley, and Harper. Heron is the ONLY player who has the foresight to crash the board for a potential rebound/put-back. Purifoy and Harper do absolutely nothing and stand there watching the ball sail toward the goal. Wiley has a defender put a body on him, so at least he had some resistance. And I understand how the worst possible thing would be to have an off-ball foul, so I understand the other 3 not going crazy with such little time left on the clock. With only over 1 second to play, there didn't exist the opportunity for a put-back or even an impromptu alley-oop, but he had the mindset to be in position and be prepared. No one else really did. He has intangibles that can't really be coached. He's the real deal, and he really reminds me of Marquis Daniels. Complete game on court and just kind of quietly goes about his business being very productive.

NOTE: I am not suggesting in the least that the other 3 are bad or lazy players, just that Heron has the "it" factor mentally for the game of basketball, and we are sure fortunate to have him on our roster. 

https://www.seccountry.com/auburn/auburn-basketball-recap-box-score-result-tj-dunans-shot-austin-wiley

Ditto regarding Herron.

My biggest rebounding beef with this team ... shot goes up and folks start running the other way, except for the undersized PF/C under the basket.

im guessing there is some concern about fast breaks but it seems we should have 2 or 3 guys headed toward the backboard on every shot.

Sorry ... this is an old guy, how it used to be thought ... I guess.  The above isnt 100% true but true too often 

Archived