Cooper a finalist for USA Softball POY

http://www.secsports.com/article/15728588/sec-running-collegiate-player-year

Auburn's Kasey Cooper and Florida's Aleshia Ocasio are two of the Top 3 Finalists for the 2016 USA Softball National Collegiate Player of the Year Award, announced by the Amateur Softball Association (ASA)/USA Softball.

This award, which is considered the most prestigious honor in Division I women's collegiate softball, recognizes the outstanding athletic achievement by female players across the country. Joining Cooper and Ocasio in the Top 3 is Michigan's Sierra Romero.

Past winners of this award from the SEC include Monica Abbott from Tennessee and last year's winner Lauren Haeger from Florida.

Cooper, the 2016 SEC and espnW Player of the Year, ranks in the Top 10 in the nation with a .591 on-base percentage, a .906 slugging percentage, 19 home runs, 75 RBI and 63 walks. A three-time All-SEC First Team honoree, she is a staple in the powerful Tigers lineup, providing strong offensive numbers while acting as a cornerstone of the Auburn defense. In addition to her outstanding performance on the field, Cooper also maintains a 4.0 GPA as a mechanical engineering major and was named the 2016 SEC Softball Scholar-Athlete of the Year. Auburn earned the No. 4 overall seed in the NCAA Softball Championship, and will look to lead the Tigers in their Super Regional against Arizona.

Is this decision made after the WCWS? Odds are pretty good that all three finalists will be in OKC. Wonder if that will be the determining factor?

That production is incredible!! Of course, when they walk you 4 times in a game to not allow you to hit....mad respect there of your hitting abilities.

She's on base about 60% of the time, one way or the other.....and .900 slugging percentage. Great stats.

The winner will be announced on May 31, prior to the start of the CWS. In the 14 years of the award, it has been won by a pitcher 12 times. Some of them won 2 or even 3 years.

The winner will be announced on May 31, prior to the start of the CWS. In the 14 years of the award, it has been won by a pitcher 12 times. Some of them won 2 or even 3 years.

I

Pitching has changed now that many schools have more than one starter. Mich pitcher is dominant and does not share the circle much which favors her IMO.

The Michigan player in the final 3 (Romero) is not a pitcher - plays second base, I believe. Her sister plays third for Oklahoma. Ocasio is the pitcher (20-1). Auburn inflicted her only loss. Florida pitcher won the award last year. (Lauren Haeger)

Wasn't Haeger a beast at the plate as well?

Yes, Haeger was a beast at the plate, as you said. Good point. Ocasio also hits well, though I don't know her stats as a batter. My thought is that Romero is the favorite for this year's award, because: 1) She is a senior, and was on the watchlist last year, I think. 2) Her team is in the WCWS. 3) Ocasio is a freshman and lost the game that eliminated Florida. 4) Cooper is a junior.

Naturally I hope Cooper wins it.

Yes, Haeger was a beast at the plate, as you said. Good point. Ocasio also hits well, though I don't know her stats as a batter. My thought is that Romero is the favorite for this year's award, because: 1) She is a senior, and was on the watchlist last year, I think. 2) Her team is in the WCWS. 3) Ocasio is a freshman and lost the game that eliminated Florida. 4) Cooper is a junior.

I was thinking Sierra would be a given if Auburn lost yesterday. Being that cooper came through and helped punch our ticket, she might have evened things up some. Isn't cooper the only one in the top 10 of all offensive categories. They both are tied in home runs at 19. Hopefully Kasey gets it

I was thinking Sierra would be a given if Auburn lost yesterday. Being that cooper came through and helped punch our ticket, she might have evened things up some. Isn't cooper the only one in the top 10 of all offensive categories. They both are tied in home runs at 19. Hopefully Kasey gets it

Plus her academic accomplishments.....Kasey is the poster child for what a student athlete is supposed to be.

Plus her academic accomplishments.....Kasey is the poster child for what a student athlete is supposed to be.

True. Great point.

If they consider off the field stuff, cooper will be hard to beat.

Don't know anything about the other kid but coopers consistency across all primary offensive categories and her excellent defense ... She should be tough to beat out

Cooper did not win the ASA/USA POY award ( the Michigan girl, Romero won it). But she did win the Elite 90 award.

http://www.auburntig.../053116aag.html

The ELITE 90 award honors the individual who has reached the pinnacle of competition at the national championship level, while also achieving the highest cumulative GPA among her peers.

Truly an Elite award.....there are a number of superior softball players.....the three finalists for POY and a couple dozen others who are just an eyelash behind in the way of their playing skills and results.

Combining those athletic skills with her academic accomplishment is truly exceptional....unique.

The Elite award seems to be a little more prestigious to me. To have the championship level in academics as well as athletics is truly remarkable. Besides, she can win the other one next year!! :)

Archived