Auburn picked to finish 11th in SEC

aujeff11

53 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Just saw this. I'm just nervous and want us to be good so I may be over reacting. Especially from film of a pre season scrimmage. There were some habits I noticed from some guys defensively that I didn't care for and they were effort related and effort related mistakes scares me. If you want though we can talk about it and I can tell you what I thought I saw and you can tell me the things you notice as well

I figure  BP is not going to accept effort related issues.....but I also figure the way the rules are going now, people who love good defense are going to  have a hard time with college basketball ..period...not just AU.    

The game is being deliberately changed.....maybe for the good...like putting more life in the baseball or bat....or not calling holding so tightly.   Everything is designed to enable more scoring.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, AU80cruiser said:

I don't want to put words in aujeffs mouth but I think this is what he meant by the program was in shambles. It was so bad that Pearl couldn't just start by recruiting good players. He had to recruit fans first, to sell the better players on the idea of Auburn basketball. Who wants to play in front of a stagnant fanbase? Not many highly ranked 5 stars (or even 1 for that matter). Now that the fans are coming, so are the stars. It's just a matter of time before it pays off big. I don't watch or care about basketball but Im starting to because of Pearl and what I see he's doing for AU.

That's exactly what I meant. Pearl had to build up our program from the ground up because the previous coach bled out every ounce of support from its already small fanbase. Not only has Pearl rejuvenated the small fanbase that withered away during the Barbee days, he has successfully marketed the Auburn basketball brand which is allowing the fanbase, and its support to increase. I know a lot of programs that would write a blank check just for that alone. The stud recruits are now taking notice which does nothing but add credibility to the notion that Auburn basketball is successfully being marketed to the fans and its players. From there, the wins and team goals will most assuredly be achieved. 

It's extremely unrealistic to expect Pearl to have had much success in his first couple years. He had to piece-meal a roster with juco recruits and only a few Barbee leftovers. Maybe people are being naive in thinking that Malzahn had success his first year, so Pearl should've had success as well? If so, thats totally wrong. In basketball, the X's and O's are important, but without having the Joe's, the X's and O's wont mean much. Gus had a lot to work with compared to the talent that awaited Bruce. Auburn football still had its support as well. The basketball program was dead.

On 10/25/2016 at 4:26 PM, cole256 said:

Just saw this. I'm just nervous and want us to be good so I may be over reacting. Especially from film of a pre season scrimmage. There were some habits I noticed from some guys defensively that I didn't care for and they were effort related and effort related mistakes scares me. If you want though we can talk about it and I can tell you what I thought I saw and you can tell me the things you notice as well

I'm all about hearing any insight you want to bring to the table. Though basketball was my sport, when I was a kid, I lost touch with it in high school, where we had a coach who sold spots on the roster, and don't have near the knowledge that I have about football. I'm excited to see what Pearl is going to do, and I want him around for a long time, because he's one of the things about Auburn that my wife really likes.

On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 6:08 PM, aujeff11 said:

That's exactly what I meant. Pearl had to build up our program from the ground up because the previous coach bled out every ounce of support from its already small fanbase. Not only has Pearl rejuvenated the small fanbase that withered away during the Barbee days, he has successfully marketed the Auburn basketball brand which is allowing the fanbase, and its support to increase. I know a lot of programs that would write a blank check just for that alone. The stud recruits are now taking notice which does nothing but add credibility to the notion that Auburn basketball is successfully being marketed to the fans and its players. From there, the wins and team goals will most assuredly be achieved. 

It's extremely unrealistic to expect Pearl to have had much success in his first couple years. He had to piece-meal a roster with juco recruits and only a few Barbee leftovers. Maybe people are being naive in thinking that Malzahn had success his first year, so Pearl should've had success as well? If so, thats totally wrong. In basketball, the X's and O's are important, but without having the Joe's, the X's and O's wont mean much. Gus had a lot to work with compared to the talent that awaited Bruce. Auburn football still had its support as well. The basketball program was dead.

Agree with you Jeff, and I believe we should at least make the NIT this year.

Archived