AU opens as a road dog at Ole Miss

RunInRed

6 hours ago, Barnacle said:

Great post. Jamaal Adams made a big impact in that game. I'm curious how much man coverage we can play. I though LSU's ability to play man was a big factor as well. 

We will be able to run the ball again and that will be our biggest advantage. 

Carlton Davis says hi 

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Almost no chance we shift Carlton Davis inside to play the slot. LSU's ability to play man was predicated on its confidence that Adams could take Engram, their best weapon, out of the game. That job won't fall to Carlton Davis. He's going to match up with all those big WRs, but he won't see a lot of Engram unless we're in zone.

Line has moved to 4 at the Westgate and 4.5 at one site. I'm telling you, this thing is still moving up. I know the risk to the books on hedges from early bets, but the books are already sideways on our game. All the money is coming on one side.

Some of the line movement also likely has to do with the news of the Ole Miss O-line coming out that two of their guys may not be back, or may be limited. 

2 hours ago, JwgreDeux said:

Some of the line movement also likely has to do with the news of the Ole Miss O-line coming out that two of their guys may not be back, or may be limited. 

I am happy to hear their OL will not be at 100%. The potential is there for a let down after such a dominating win, especially at night on the road in our first road game vs a real team (Miss St is all kinds of bad this year) so I'll take as many reassuring things in our favor as possible. If our team was a bit older I'd be less worried but we have a lot of first time contributors out there, and on young and developing teams sometimes focus eludes them after such a big win

11 hours ago, mcgufcm said:

Line has moved to 4 at the Westgate and 4.5 at one site. I'm telling you, this thing is still moving up. I know the risk to the books on hedges from early bets, but the books are already sideways on our game. All the money is coming on one side.

I'd put my savings on Auburn to cover and take the over. It's going to be ugly.

:wareagle:

1 minute ago, Tiger said:

I am happy to hear their OL will not be at 100%. The potential is there for a let down after such a dominating win, especially at night on the road in our first road game vs a real team (Miss St is all kinds of bad this year) so I'll take as many reassuring things in our favor as possible. If our team was a bit older I'd be less worried but we have a lot of first time contributors out there, and on young and developing teams sometimes focus eludes them after such a big win

Ole Miss has beaten Georgia, Wofford, and Memphis... that's it. Considering Georgia is, shall we say, less than stellar this year, Ole Miss isn't sporting a much better resume than Mississippi State, other than pre-season expectations that they failed to live up to.

Just now, lionheartkc said:

Ole Miss has beaten Georgia, Wofford, and Memphis... that's it. Considering Georgia is, shall we say, less than stellar this year, Ole Miss isn't sporting a much better resume than Mississippi State, other than pre-season expectations that they failed to live up to.

I guess I'm looking at it as Miss St had no weapons to use against us, at least Ole Miss has a legit QB and a very dangerous WR/TE unit

Just now, Tiger said:

I guess I'm looking at it as Miss St had no weapons to use against us, at least Ole Miss has a legit QB and a very dangerous WR/TE unit

They do... I just find myself wondering, after everything I've read about Kelly and his attitude, how much he's going to show up the rest of the year, now that their season is in the toilet. I think it would be hilarious if his famous temper flared up and he took a swing at Lawson or Monty after the umpteenth time they put him on his back, and he got his butt kicked out of the game.

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

They do... I just find myself wondering, after everything I've read about Kelly and his attitude, how much he's going to show up the rest of the year, now that their season is in the toilet. I think it would be hilarious if his famous temper flared up and he took a swing at Lawson or Monty after the umpteenth time they put him on his back, and he got his butt kicked out of the game.

I am also hoping Ole Miss' season to this point has screwed with their motivation!

Never placed a bet on football in my life but this is awfully tempting.  Maybe i'm getting too used to four touchdown leads at the half.  Honestly though, I think we score almost at will. OM might score 20, but I do not see us with less than 35. Their run defense is bad and we will gash them with no mercy.

Chad will continue to show up. He knows he's playing for draft stock. Even if it's about his money next year, he has plenty of motivation to play well.

Ole Miss is a much better team that State. I know on the surface that the resumes look the same (if we win and MSU beats Samford, both will be 3-5), but they aren't the same. Ole Miss is still a threat to A&M. State isn't. Win, lose, or draw this weekend, Ole Miss is likely to finish the season 3-1 at worst down the stretch. The collapse against FSU was brutal, the narrow loss to Bama hurt, the Arkansas loss is just a juju hex (similar to our inability to win at LSU). I really believe Ole Miss is the better team between those two.

Maybe I'm wrong, but this is a really talented team that took injuries at its thinnest positions (CB - lost their best guy Ken Webster on the first drive of the season; OL - looking like they may be starting two freshmen at Tackle) and lost games they could've won. Like Gus said pre-season, you have to win close games in this league. If you don't the season turns south on you pretty quickly. I think this will be a much stiffer test than Arkansas was last week.

2 hours ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

I'd put my savings on Auburn to cover and take the over. It's going to be ugly.

:wareagle:

I'd be careful taking the over in a game like this. That would almost absolutely require ole miss getting at least two touchdowns. We beat arky 56-3 but didn't cover the over and were 2-5 against the over under this year cause our defense is limiting points far beyond the expectation of vegas.

8 minutes ago, wareagle13 said:

I'd be careful taking the over in a game like this. That would almost absolutely require ole miss getting at least two touchdowns. We beat arky 56-3 but didn't cover the over and were 2-5 against the over under this year cause our defense is limiting points far beyond the expectation of vegas.

The over/under I saw for the Arkansas game was 52.5 or 53 depending on the book. Auburn covered that by themselves. Possible you saw one higher.

Just now, aufan57 said:

The over/under I saw for the Arkansas game was 52.5 or 53 depending on the book. Auburn covered that by themselves. Possible you saw one higher.

I thought I saw it at 63, but you could be right.

Just now, wareagle13 said:

I thought I saw it at 63, but you could be right.

i have seen 63 for this week. Definitely would not touch that.

I think Auburn beats Miss. easy, but they will score more than Ark.

Miss ranks 107th Nationally in total D and 113th in rush D. They have two starting OL that may be out or not 100%. 38-17

These stats are a little skewed since most of the teams Miss has played are running teams, but fact still remains those teams put up rushing yards on them.

Auburn puts on another Rushing showcase!

2 hours ago, Auburn4life said:

I think Auburn beats Miss. easy, but they will score more than Ark.

Miss ranks 107th Nationally in total D and 113th in rush D. They have two starting OL that may be out or not 100%. 38-17

These stats are a little skewed since most of the teams Miss has played are running teams, but fact still remains those teams put up rushing yards on them.

Auburn puts on another Rushing showcase!

42-13 Auburn

5 hours ago, lkeel75 said:

According to this link the line is now OM +4.5.  That is a huge swing in 4 days.

Looks like Vegas picked a bad starting point for the spread this week unless there was lots of money on the game from earlier in the season when the outlook for both teams was quite different.  Been a pretty good sized reversal in the past 3 weeks as to how both teams are viewed in the media.

Archived