Rhett leaves AU / New OC discussion (Merged)

auburnphan

3 minutes ago, weagl1 said:

I believe the Briles fix is in.  When we got Stidham something was already in the works.  I think KB bails on Lame Kitten and comes in as OC and Art will become an analyst until his name is cleaned up.  Gus knows he has to open up the passing attack to have a chance against Bammer.  You saw the blueprint Monday night.

If Art is involved in any way it will have to be from a much deeper hole than offensive analyst IMO. His name is that tarnished right now.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Do we know that Gus' meddling cost us Rhett?  I don;t see it that way at all.  I see 2 people joined at the hip that both need new perspective.  Honestly, this is the best AU news I've heard since we wrapped up Stidham.

Just to add to this...when you grow up under somebody, your voice rarely gets the full respect it's capable of...you often have to move on to fully grow.

No, you are correct - we do not know that. One man's "meddling" is another man's mentor is my point. 

8 minutes ago, weagl1 said:

I believe the Briles fix is in.  When we got Stidham something was already in the works.  I think KB bails on Lame Kitten and comes in as OC and Art will become an analyst until his name is cleaned up.  Gus knows he has to open up the passing attack to have a chance against Bammer.  You saw the blueprint Monday night.

Our run game is important, but...

A 1,000 rusher and a 1,000 reciever MUST be the standard. Two RB Or two WR with 1,000 seasons is great BUT it will not win championships.

Gus needs to learn to spell B-A-L-A-N-C-E !

8 minutes ago, ellitor said:

If Art is involved in any way it will have to be from a much deeper hole than offensive analyst IMO. His name is that tarnished right now.

Does he have a show clause? If he doesn't i wouldn't say he name is tarnished at all

Even Baylor admitted they jumped the gun on his firing.

5 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

No, you are correct - we do not know that. One man's "meddling" is another man's mentor is my point. 

Well we were most succussfull in 2013 when he wasn't "mentoring" is my point.

6 minutes ago, CCslim said:

Does he have a show clause? If he doesn't i wouldn't say he name is tarnished at all

With or without a show cause it's tarnished. You don't HC a program through a serious program domestic scandal and cover up without it being tarnished.

5 minutes ago, CCslim said:

Link?

8 minutes ago, CCslim said:

Are you kidding?  I don't think you have done enough research into it.  Read the independent investigation from Pepper Hamilton.  Here is a snippet of their findings:  "In at least one case, Briles "knew about an alleged incident and didn't alert police, the school's judicial-affairs staff or the Title IX office in charge of coordinating the school's response to sexual violence."

26 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I didn't say nor imply Rhett was annoyed. Just saying Gus has gone through periods of not letting his offensive assistants actually doing there job and it has cost him on the field.

I didn't mean to imply Rhett was the one annoyed, I was referring to the group of folks posting their annoyance and labeling Gus' interaction with his team's O as "meddling".

10 hours ago, Maverick.AU said:

The announcers were not exactly praising his play calling abilities during the bowl game, saying that fans were left scratching their heads at times due to play calls during the season. 

Should fit in well here then. Sorry couldn't resist that one.

32 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Where in the name of Bo Jackson do people come up with this stuff? I feel like I just had brain cells die from reading this. Sorry to be so blunt but damn! Kodi has 0% shot at being the next OC. If hell freezes over and it happens I will own up to being wrong...but it ain't happening.

I love Kodi, BUT if this were to happen I would have serious concerns!

I wouldn't mind Briles leaving Lane and have my fingers crossed that it was a plan waiting to happen. How would that work? Does AU buy him out of the FAU contract? 

And lane just drives me crazy - A grown man trolling on Twitter.

5 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Are you kidding?  I don't think you have done enough research into it.  Read the independent investigation from Pepper Hamilton.  Here is a snippet of their findings:  "In at least one case, Briles "knew about an alleged incident and didn't alert police, the school's judicial-affairs staff or the Title IX office in charge of coordinating the school's response to sexual violence."

The Pepper Hamilton report did not specifically name Briles or ANY Baylor coach for that matter, so not sure where you got this snippet from, but its not from that report.  It also did not reference any specific incidences.  

1 minute ago, AidiAU said:

I love Kodi, BUT if this were to happen I would have serious concerns!

I wouldn't mind Briles leaving Lane and have my fingers crossed that it was a plan waiting to happen. How would that work? Does AU buy him out of the FAU contract? 

A buyout is not usually put in for assistants leaving especially if he has not signed a contract yet which is very possible.

7 minutes ago, AEAugirl said:

The Pepper Hamilton report did not specifically name Briles or ANY Baylor coach for that matter, so not sure where you got this snippet from, but its not from that report.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/17912838/investigation-baylor-university-said-art-briles-failed-alert-police-allegations

"The Journal on Friday quoted Baylor regents who detailed some of the Pepper Hamilton findings for the first time. According to the regents, in at least one case, Briles "knew about an alleged incident and didn't alert police, the school's judicial-affairs staff or the Title IX office in charge of coordinating the school's response to sexual violence."

J. Cary Gray, a Dallas lawyer and member of the Baylor board of regents, told The Journal, "There was a cultural issue there that was putting winning football games above everything else, including our values. ... We did not have a caring community when it came to these women who reported that they were assaulted. And that is not OK."

While we do not have direct access to the report, I read the summary put out by Baylor which references the coach and his staff.

2 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/17912838/investigation-baylor-university-said-art-briles-failed-alert-police-allegations

The Journal on Friday quoted Baylor regents who detailed some of the Pepper Hamilton findings for the first time. According to the regents, in at least one case, Briles "knew about an alleged incident and didn't alert police, the school's judicial-affairs staff or the Title IX office in charge of coordinating the school's response to sexual violence."

J. Cary Gray, a Dallas lawyer and member of the Baylor board of regents, told The Journal, "There was a cultural issue there that was putting winning football games above everything else, including our values. ... We did not have a caring community when it came to these women who reported that they were assaulted. And that is not OK."

I think an independent investigation is needed to prove either way.  The regents of course are going to say Briles was guilty because they don't want the buyout or the lawsuit from Briles.  So you are only hearing one side of the story.  

I'm not endorsing Art just saying there are always 2 sides to every story.

Just now, steeleagle said:

so are you saying Lashlee was running the offensive playcalling in 2013? I had no idea that was going on. thought it was all Gus with help from RL.

2013 was the only year he truly took input from his assistants until part of this year & let them do their thing. I don't know about play calls but Rhett had much more freedom with the QBs than he has since then.

8 minutes ago, corchjay said:

I think an independent investigation is needed to prove either way.  The regents of course are going to say Briles was guilty because they don't want the buyout or the lawsuit from Briles.  So you are only hearing one side of the story.  

I'm not endorsing Art just saying there are always 2 sides to every story.

Yes I know there are two sides to the story.  I agree with that.  What upsets me is that people on this forum are so willing to ignore that there is a VERY strong chance Briles knew a great deal and did not do anything to stop it.  Everyone is so focused on winning that they could care less what happened to those women.  I come from a family where someone was raped.  I have seen first hand how it can destroy someone's life.  I remember getting into arguments with people on here over TE Landon Rice getting kicked off of the team because they think he should have stayed on.  That at that time, nothing was for certain, so he should keep playing until proven guilty, that we should not trust anything the girl says.  Well, it turned out the girl was telling the truth and Gus did the right thing.  So everything is pointing at Art knowing something, through reports and investigations.  The only thing saying he didn't do anything is Art himself saying "I didn't do it."  Of course he will say that.  I will trust the third party Pepper Hamilton report.

3 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Yes I know there are two sides to the story.  I agree with that.  What upsets me is that people on this forum are so willing to ignore that there is a VERY strong chance Briles knew a great deal and did not do anything to stop it.  Everyone is so focused on winning that they could care less what happened to those women.  I come from a family where someone was raped.  I have seen first hand how it can destroy someone's life.  I remember getting into arguments with people on here over TE Landon Rice getting kicked off of the team because they think he should have stayed on.  That at that time, nothing was for certain, so he should keep playing until proven guilty, that we should not trust anything the girl says.  Well, it turned out the girl was telling the truth and Gus did the right thing.  So everything is pointing at Art knowing something, through reports and investigations.  The only thing saying he didn't do anything is Art himself saying "I didn't do it."  Of course he will say that.  I will trust the third party Pepper Hamilton report.

As I stated in my post I'm not endorsing Art in any way.  I, to, believe in the higher standard.  And one of the reasons that I support Gus is his "standards".

I think folks are making too much of the money thing with Rhett....he's young and has about 30 years ahead of him as a coach...and taking this job is an investment in his future. Gus took a cut to go to Arky State and made it up quickly. Hoping Rhett has good success up there, brings them some offensive talent and proves what he can do on his own. And by the way, that is what KB needs too...his success came while he was standing at his father's side and though some people want to think that he was in charge of the offense, there is a need for him to prove it...and FAU is a good place. Bet he took a pay cut to go down there too...

Just now, corchjay said:

As I stated in my post I'm not endorsing Art in any way.  I, to, believe in the higher standard.  And one of the reasons that I support Gus is his "standards".

Sorry I didn't mean to vent all of that out on you.  I realized that may have come across that way.  I normally don't do that.  There are a few things that get me worked up and that subject is one of them as it hits home for me.

Jake Spavital, chip Lindsey or KB.

Two guys with auburn ties and another who has a good grip of knowledge with our current QB. Mind you , your would also  get his dad as a de facto help.

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

and FAU is a good place. Bet he took a pay cut to go down there too...

It's far from a given now that he will end up at FAU this season.

Rhett knew he was gone in Sept/Oct after the game where Gus was the apologetic little boy who stole candy.  While the timing in no way was right the ball started moving.  Gus had the opportunity to quote raise Rhett's value.  He publicly gave Rhett play calling duties, he would only publicly give Hand credit during the good run for the game planning.  How much actual play calling is debatable that he was doing.  Contact with Briles had been made and an offer was on the table.   Gus did his best to keep getting Rhett's name into the coaching conversation so that he left for another opportunity to grow.  Stidham comes on board while the offer for Briles gets rejected shortly after Stidham who previously only talked about Briles influence in going to Auburn now gives credit to Rhett who still does not have a new job.   Benedict gave Rhett an interview for the HC job, got grilled when he hired Edsall, the rest you know which happened before the dead period ended.  There are a ton of dots to connect that were put out there by Gus.  Rhett is a good guy and can very well be a good coach.  He was clueless when it came to teaching fundamentals and reading defenses, as is Gus, which was the problem, they are both experts in teaching their offense.  This move had to happen, Gus just couldn't let go of his adopted son(mean this in a nice way) with out it being forced.

Archived