Men's Postseason chatter thread (Merged)

tigerbrotha12

11 minutes ago, ellitor said:

The staff does not have the pulse of these players at all and are straight up to soft with them. So much loafing on defense. At one point I wish I was there to yell at Jared to stop lolligagging and get his A back on D and show some leadership for once in this season. It was so quiet the entire arena would have heard it and I would not care if I had gotten thrown out.

I think Jared is a good guy and a good player, but I really hope Davion Mitchell can take over. Jared plays with no effort, and is a very streaky shooter, I like Jared but we really need Davion to win the job and carry us

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, au302 said:

I think Jared is a good guy and a good player, but I really hope Davion Mitchell can take over. Jared plays with no effort, and is a very streaky shooter, I like Jared but we really need Davion to win the job and carry us

Yup!

23 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@jared52 Umm. If you look up you will see I took the part out that you soapboxed about before you replied. The reply is pointless.

It had a point when I saw your reply. I didn't know you took it out.

21 minutes ago, au302 said:

Jared had a lot of success early in the season and in his mind he became a 3 point shooter. He hit several late in the season, but his penchant to take 25"+ threes was never reigned in by Bruce for some reason. He hurt AU with shot selection, but he still has a lot of quickness and can get to the lane and create. He's just a tad undersized though and gets in trouble at times when he gets down low. As a PG though, he does have a long way to go. 

With this loss, I believe any NIT hopes are nil.  Is there any benefit for the department to pony up the money for this squad to participate in the CBI, CIT or that tournament in Vegas at the Mandalay Bay?  Would another week or two of practices have an impact on next year?  Maybe Coach Pearl and Jay Jacobs can answer those questions in the next few days.

3 hours ago, greg6363 said:

With this loss, I believe any NIT hopes are nil.  Is there any benefit for the department to pony up the money for this squad to participate in the CBI, CIT or that tournament in Vegas at the Mandalay Bay?  Would another week or two of practices have an impact on next year?  Maybe Coach Pearl and Jay Jacobs can answer those questions in the next few days.

JMO the problems of this team are not going to be solved by 2 more weeks of practice .....time to put this season behind us.  No point in paying for a vacation trip for this basketball team...has not earned that reward.  Let 'em get back to the books and act like regular students for a couple months.   

Well, they the chips fall where they may and let's see what post season AU has. If it's the CBI, fine, maybe they go win it or have a good showing and it builds confidence going into next year. I know Bruce doesn't want last night to be the last thing they remember about the season.

If we decide to play in the CBI and I were coach, I'd have a 7 man rotation. I'd tell the seniors I appreciate their efforts this season and everything they've brought to the program, but this tournament would be to start preparing for next year. If the older guys are willing to understand and accept that they won't play unless they absolutely needed, then keep them on the roster. If not, let them move on and start working on next year.

54 minutes ago, boomstick said:

If we decide to play in the CBI and I were coach, I'd have a 7 man rotation. I'd tell the seniors I appreciate their efforts this season and everything they've brought to the program, but this tournament would be to start preparing for next year. If the older guys are willing to understand and accept that they won't play unless they absolutely needed, then keep them on the roster. If not, let them move on and start working on next year.

There is no way I would treat Ronnie Johnson and TJ Dunans like that. Heck, even Laron Smith. The first two are the reason AU is even in consideration for the CBI. This would be a reward trip for the season and it wouldn't look good for Bruce to drop his seniors from the team to "prepare for next year". Let them play as much as they have been and let them continue to contribute to the team's success. You don't get players to be loyal if you kick them to the curb before the season is over.

I am torn about the CBI tournament.  On one hand, this team doesn't deserve a post season tournament. They haven't EARNED that reward.  On the other hand, it's tough to go through the off season with such a bad taste in your mouth.  For some, that would be motivation, but probably not for this team.  I'm glad that CBP is an optimist, because this group of players would suck the fun and optimism out of most coaches.  I know Harper is getting criticized, but he has to be a smarter player that what he shows.  They are going to foul you so driving up the court with your arm raised and extended is stupid.  Protect the ball with your body not your extended arm!  He does not play like a PG, more like a 2 that wants his 3 point shots like the rest of the gang.  This team (and I use that term loosely) has a thousand miles to go in the off season.  I think CBP and his assistants have to take their share of the blame for looks like a poorly prepared and coached team.  Hard to understand but we do have too many "I want my shot" types on this team.  That may be helped in the off season. 

I think I did see Johnson and Harper on the floor at the same time last night.

I liked Harper as the 2.  Thought he looked more in his natural element there.

15 minutes ago, AUGoo said:

I think I did see Johnson and Harper on the floor at the same time last night.

I liked Harper as the 2.  Thought he looked more in his natural element there.

Yes, they were. I thought it was interesting. I don't know if Harper has the size to play the 2 though, and his shooting went down late in the season, but he forced a good deal of his shots too. Maybe as a 2 he will be getting better (and closer) looks. He shot 34% from 3 which is respectable but I'd rather the 2 have the 3 point percentage of someone like Mustapha (42%). Hitting almost half is just a lot better than hitting a third.

11 hours ago, jared52 said:

Jared had a lot of success early in the season and in his mind he became a 3 point shooter. He hit several late in the season, but his penchant to take 25"+ threes was never reigned in by Bruce for some reason. He hurt AU with shot selection, but he still has a lot of quickness and can get to the lane and create. He's just a tad undersized though and gets in trouble at times when he gets down low. As a PG though, he does have a long way to go. 

Jared was way too inconsistent down the stretch. And as our PG that made our problems worse. He is not the best at creating assists. He can dribble and drive, but he doesnt draw fouls as much as Heron because he lacks physical size. Just like in last night, late he tried to drive, but then tried to adjust his shot rather than draw the foul, and ended up on the floor simply with a missed shot.

But his charge at a most crucial time was all on him. He had no business putting his arm out to push a way a player that was only trying to foul him. He needed to slow down, and get fouled with a 3 pt lead and the ball, and in double bonus. Why he was trying to go so fast with the shot clock off, to run up the court was a bad instinct for a player who has played so much at the point.

I actually didn't understand why RJ was not in the game, down the stretch. He didn't even see the OT.  And he is a veteran. 

1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

Jared was way too inconsistent down the stretch. And as our PG that made our problems worse. He is not the best at creating assists. He can dribble and drive, but he doesnt draw fouls as much as Heron because he lacks physical size. Just like in last night, late he tried to drive, but then tried to adjust his shot rather than draw the foul, and ended up on the floor simply with a missed shot.

But his charge at a most crucial time was all on him. He had no business putting his arm out to push a way a player that was only trying to foul him. He needed to slow down, and get fouled with a 3 pt lead and the ball, and in double bonus. Why he was trying to go so fast with the shot clock off, to run up the court was a bad instinct for a player who has played so much at the point.

I actually didn't understand why RJ was not in the game, down the stretch. He didn't even see the OT.  And he is a veteran. 

I think this is the question of the day for a lot of people. It is like in football where all you have to do is take a knee, but your quarterback gets cute and tries to gain a yard for his stats or something, and fumbles the ball. Completely boneheaded in a time where literally the only thing you can do to mess it up, you do it. I hope Harper learns from that and realizes he's not all that as a PG yet.

I can't help but think Spencer's injury cost AU the NIT as well. McLemore is fun to watch but he's not going to stop a guy like Peryear. AU wins the needed games even before this tournament is Spencer is in there. AU is close, so close, but lack depth. Next year should be more fulfilling, then they will have to deal with losing a lot of talent. Pulling for BP big time to get the depth set before that drop off in 2018-19. 

1 hour ago, jared52 said:

I can't help but think Spencer's injury cost AU the NIT as well. McLemore is fun to watch but he's not going to stop a guy like Peryear. AU wins the needed games even before this tournament is Spencer is in there. AU is close, so close, but lack depth. Next year should be more fulfilling, then they will have to deal with losing a lot of talent. Pulling for BP big time to get the depth set before that drop off in 2018-19. 

We need a full 13 man team, and the 11-13 guys need to be better than Laron Smith and Devin Wadell. I wouldn't mind a big, defensive minded grad transfer or maybe another shooting guard.  I saw we're looking at a skilled European big as well

11 minutes ago, au302 said:

We need a full 13 man team, and the 11-13 guys need to be better than Laron Smith and Devin Wadell. I wouldn't mind a big, defensive minded grad transfer or maybe another shooting guard.  I saw we're looking at a skilled European big as well

Probably nice to have that big roster but lots of teams ...good teams...are playing with 7 or 8 man squads.  JMO but the downside of so many players is that if coach tries to play most of them the frequent shuffling has to affect cohesion.  Even now, BP can't seem to get the right players in a game to best suit the circumstances.  For example, last night Ronnie Johnson was on the bench during crucial times late in the game...when his maturity and ball handling would have been a benefit. 

A big from Europe or somewhere would be nice but I don't think depth was our problem. That and youth seem to be favorite excuses for a team that can't play like a "team" and gets outrebounded and outhustled but about everyone they play.   Our 6'-11 center gets one rebound and our top freshman guard was by far our leading rebounder....a 6-5 guard of all things....but  commits 7 turnovers.....    The box scores for this team just don't make sense after most games.     

I see what you're saying, and it's a good point. The only reason I want 13 is because that would allow BP to run more press. Lets be honest, BP is not a defensive minded coach. His press is masterful and when we ran it last night it worked out. Once the guys learn to get back on defense when the opponents beat the press we will be ok. I think conditioning was an issue for the pace we play at. I don't think our guys are in bad shape but as fast as we play it's tough. I wish there was a way to have the guys at the end of the bench be good players who are better than Waddell and Smith. I guess its just not possible as guys don't want to come here to sit on the bench. If I'm correct we should have 11 capable guys next year, assuming no one transfers, which don't be surprised if we see someone like TJ Lang go to get more minutes his senior year.  I'm sure BP will want to use the other two scholarships, one at the least. Maybe he'll bring in a high school big who would be a major project and try to develop him. 

On the Ill fated offensive foul I was wondering why he was flying down the court. I kept saying, slow it down, the clock is on your side. I've said this on more than one occasion about this team. A heads up bunch they're not.

Maybe we ought to look at basketball the same way as football.....the guys beat a pretty good bama team TWICE....  That alone should make us view this as a successful season. :)

I'm cooled down after a day of being hot and I think it's a good idea to take the CBI bid if we get it. Does nothing but give your guys more experience, and lets the freshmen play together in a survive and advance format, experience that could pay dividends next year- teach them they have to treat every game like they've GOT to have it.

I'm still upset how we could not hold on when we were up 72-62 real late in the game. BTW, I saw Ole Miss blow away Missouri last night.

Troy won the Sun Belt tournament today. So they're going to the NCAA Tournament for the first time since 2003, which was the year we last made the tournament under Cliff Ellis. But Troy won't be the only school in Alabama going, Jacksonville State won the Ohio Valley tournament so they're also going to be in NCAA Tournament. This is Jacksonville State's 1st time making the NCAA Tournament. They've only been in Division I since 1995.

That makes 2 Alabama schools in the tournament this year. Troy's coach, Phil Cunningham, is in his 4th year. Jacksonville State's coach, Ray Harper, is in his 1st year. I know both teams are in mid-major conferences but winning the conference tournament is still a tough feat to accomplish, even at the mid-major level.

33 minutes ago, Auburnfan91 said:

Troy won the Sun Belt tournament today. So they're going to the NCAA Tournament for the first time since 2003, which was the year we last made the tournament under Cliff Ellis. But Troy won't be the only school in Alabama going, Jacksonville State won the Ohio Valley tournament so they're also going to be in NCAA Tournament. This is Jacksonville State's 1st time making the NCAA Tournament. They've only been in Division I since 1995.

That makes 2 Alabama schools in the tournament this year. Troy's coach, Phil Cunningham, is in his 4th year. Jacksonville State's coach, Ray Harper, is in his 1st year. I know both teams are in mid-major conferences but winning the conference tournament is still a tough feat to accomplish, even at the mid-major level.

And Troy got rewarded with playing Duke- good luck (I do hope Troy upsets them though).

Archived