top wide receiver

aubiefifty

We have too many young WRs for all of them to put up impressive stat lines. I wouldn't be surprised if one or 2 are phased out of the rotation and end up transferring after the season. Also considering we probably will be throwing to our RBs out of the backfield often there will be less balls to go around for the WRs. I hope an improved passing offense means we deviate from the 1 guy getting seemingly ~70% of the balls thrown their way like in Gus' past offenses, though.

In a perfect world there would be a way to get Kyle Allen-Davis, Nate Craig-Meyers, Eli Stove, Slayton, Davis, AND McClain on the field as much as possible (I may be forgetting a guy or 2) and at the same time but throw in the fact that we may actually use our new TE Sal IDK how everyone will be kept happy. I seriously think we have the WR talent to throw it 30-35x a game. If our front 4 goes back to getting no push and doing the middle school dance routine with the OL we may just have to do throw it a ton for a game or 2.

Oh, and while I'm not a Hastings hater if Gus was calling the O still I would prefer all of our other options at WR get snaps over Hastings. But with Chip and his re-tooling of our passing game maybe we can actually utilize Hastings properly. Maybe he revamps our route combinations to actually allow a guy like Hastings to excel. It wouldn't surprise me, we have been dealing with an elementary pass offense so it's not 100% fair to write Hastings or any of our WRs off quite yet IMO. If Renfroe (sp?) for Clemson can be a weapon IDK why we can't make Hastings just as productive. Both guys have similar skill sets and limitations. I understand the argument that if we are looking for that guy why not just put Ryan Davis in there, and really I don't have an argument against that as I liked the potential Davis flashed last year. We have options that is for sure. Also Davis can be a sweep threat which I can't remember if we tried with Hastings but if you can do more than 1 thing well I think it will go a long way into determining whether you're on the field often or not for us this year.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Tiger, I've been thinking a lot about ball distribution, too. Just for fun...

Some encouraging stats:
-ASU had 7 guys with double digit receptions last year (Shockingly, Auburn had 8)
-2 guys with over 50 receptions (Auburn, none)
-3 guys with over 40 receptions (Auburn, none)
-5 guys with over 20 receptions (Auburn, 3)
-11 receptions between 2 TEs (Auburn, 2)
-2 RBs in the double digit club (Auburn, 1)

Now, some of that disparity between that offense and ours is due to us running it a lot more. I mean, I can only assume. So let's say we cut the number of all ASU receptions in 2015 by a completely arbitrary number, let's say 20%, but we keep the distribution the same. This is how they would look:
-WR1 has 46 catches (Auburn, 31 from Stevens)
-WR2 has 45 catches (Auburn, 25 from R. Davis)
-WR3- a running back- has 35 catches (Auburn, 23 from Stove)

-WR4 has 21 catches (Auburn, M. Davis and KJ tied at 17)
-WR5 has 17 catches (Auburn, 15 from Slayton) 
-WR6- another RB- has 14 catches (Auburn, 12 from K. Davis)
-WR7 has 8 catches (Auburn, 11 from Hastings) 
-The TEs have 8 catches (Auburn, 2)

So, in both cases, 8 guys really contributed if you combine the TEs at ASU. The obvious differences, to me, are what happens at the top of the order, at RB, and at TE. Which would be exactly what I think most of us are hoping for, I think. It wouldn't mean cupcakes for everybody, though. If things held true to the nonsense scenario above, Smith, Hastings and McClain would be essentially fighting over a handful of looks. 

No, you can never have the time you took out of your life to read this back. 

Who's going to be our Sammie Coates this year?

Who's going to be the possession, 3rd down, gotta get open, gotta catch the ball, this year?

How much are we gonna sub receivers?

What's gonna be our main formation?

Are we gonna HUNH or HU Meerkat?

Doubt we find out in spring, but those are the crucial questions.

35 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Who's going to be our Sammie Coates this year?

No one... K. Davis and NCM should be our deep threat, circus catch guys, but Sal is probably the only guy, who's primary job is catching the ball, who can also rag doll a DB in the process.

36 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Who's going to be the possession, 3rd down, gotta get open, gotta catch the ball, this year?

My money's on Stove.

37 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

How much are we gonna sub receivers?

Hopefully only when they are tired.

37 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

What's gonna be our main formation?

Great question. Based on what they tend to excel at, I would say K. Davis, Stove, and R. Davis, but you could easily rotate in NCM, Slayton, and Hastings in the same 3 rolls and maybe no see any drop-off.

39 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Are we gonna HUNH or HU Meerkat?

I would expect to see a little of both.  The Meerkat didn't even go away in 2013.

Of the guys returning, Kyle Davis and Jason Smith have probably run the most go routes. Jason's were all in 2014. I think he caught one big one, had another called back, and another where he was open but the pass was off. 

12 hours ago, milehighfan said:

I know he is not a WR but I 'm interested to see how Canella is utilized. 

As are we all. Fingers crossed.

17 hours ago, McLoofus said:

@Tiger, I've been thinking a lot about ball distribution, too. Just for fun...

Some encouraging stats:
-ASU had 7 guys with double digit receptions last year (Shockingly, Auburn had 8)
-2 guys with over 50 receptions (Auburn, none)
-3 guys with over 40 receptions (Auburn, none)
-5 guys with over 20 receptions (Auburn, 3)
-11 receptions between 2 TEs (Auburn, 2)
-2 RBs in the double digit club (Auburn, 1)

Now, some of that disparity between that offense and ours is due to us running it a lot more. I mean, I can only assume. So let's say we cut the number of all ASU receptions in 2015 by a completely arbitrary number, let's say 20%, but we keep the distribution the same. This is how they would look:
-WR1 has 46 catches (Auburn, 31 from Stevens)
-WR2 has 45 catches (Auburn, 25 from R. Davis)
-WR3- a running back- has 35 catches (Auburn, 23 from Stove)

-WR4 has 21 catches (Auburn, M. Davis and KJ tied at 17)
-WR5 has 17 catches (Auburn, 15 from Slayton) 
-WR6- another RB- has 14 catches (Auburn, 12 from K. Davis)
-WR7 has 8 catches (Auburn, 11 from Hastings) 
-The TEs have 8 catches (Auburn, 2)

So, in both cases, 8 guys really contributed if you combine the TEs at ASU. The obvious differences, to me, are what happens at the top of the order, at RB, and at TE. Which would be exactly what I think most of us are hoping for, I think. It wouldn't mean cupcakes for everybody, though. If things held true to the nonsense scenario above, Smith, Hastings and McClain would be essentially fighting over a handful of looks. 

No, you can never have the time you took out of your life to read this back. 

Out of likes from yesterday but this is a good post I don't feel like I wasted any time reading this. This is very encouraging how CCL likes to distribute the ball through the air. And great job breaking ASU's stats down. If we have 2 guys with 40 catches it will make us much harder to defend IMO

13 hours ago, milehighfan said:

I know he is not a WR but I 'm interested to see how Canella is utilized. 

Flex TE/Slot in my opinion.  Cox will get Hback duties.  Or that's how I think it will go.  Flex TE will also motion into the backfield some but not sure Sal will be the blocker Cox is

29 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Flex TE/Slot in my opinion.  Cox will get Hback duties.  Or that's how I think it will go.  Flex TE will also motion into the backfield some but not sure Sal will be the blocker Cox is

Good call.

Archived