Mizzou Preview

JwgreDeux

I read over the preview I did for our first Mizzou game and it is scary how spot on it is for this team in the third installment of the series this season: 

Replace Purifoy being out due to injury, with Spencer being out due to injury and it can be completely recycled. We have an RPI in the 90's, need this win, and are the better team. We have seen Mizzou twice, they have lost their coach, there are no Xs and Os to discuss here really. I think what we did vs Mizzou on senior night shows how confident CBP is that we can handle them. He started the seniors, played the most zone we have seen all season, and still won comfortably. I wouldn't expect to see that again. Maybe we continue to see us work on our zone defense, but the time for experimentation is over. I'd like to see CBP have his rotations set, utilize the soft zone press with the second unit that was effective, and put this game away as quickly as possible. I am telling you now, let MIzzou hang around and they will be dangerous at the end of the game. We have to get this Win. With all the 1 seeds losing in conference tourneys a win vs Ole Miss may or may not be enough to get into the NIT, but we don't get there without beating Mizzou first. This season has been a step in the right direction, but a loss here would make progress (although present) hard to see. 

Things we need: Dunans to play his game, quit shooting threes, drive the ball and create. Wiley to stay on the court, when he isn't in foul trouble Mizzou has no response for his size and abilities. Production from Johnson, Johnson has had a few very unproductive games late in the season, and we need his boost off the bench. Defense from Purifoy and Herron. Most often the 3 and the 4 do most difficult rotations in help defense settings. Example: the point guard beats Harper and Wiley steps up to contest a layup, it is typically Herron or Purifoy that is responsible for getting to Wiley's man to prevent a drop off pass, or an easy put back. That is where our help defense has struggled most. When they fill those rotations we are adequate enough on defense, when we don't we aren't. 

Games at neutral site big arenas that aren't made for basketball can have weird sight-lines and deceiving depth perception backdrops. The Bridgestone Arena in Nashville holds 20,000 and is normally a hockey venue, while this is better than the Georgia Dome, it is still going to be very different than our games to this point. This can affect shooting percentage and change the dynamic of the game a bit. This is why Dunans driving and creating is very important, as is the defensive end if shots don't fall early. 

We are a 6 point favorite on the neutral floor per the opening lines. 

We have a favorable draw in the SEC tourney, it starts with Mizzou, win or go home. 

War Eagle!

Great preview! I agree we need Dunans to drive, especially with the sight-lines being weird. This has me a little concerned being that we are a shooting team. I also think we need Rojo to step up. Like you mentioned Mizzou has no answer for Wiley so it would be cool to see Rojo drive and then dish it to Austin under the goal. The only other reason I'm concerned is because I think Mizzou will play very hard. Their situation seems to be different from most teams. For example, NC State just completely quitting on Gottfried yesterday. I think their players respect Kim Anderson and I think they play hard, at least until the game is out of reach. You hit all the points, we need to come out quick and send them on their way to the offseason before the first half ends. I think we win this game but I am uneasy about it. Lets hope the boys come out playing hard! WDE!!

I think the biggest pitfall this game offers is merely us looking ahead to Ole Miss. No big traps matchup wise, and Mizzou is just kind of in shambles. Sure, they're playing hard and you gotta credit a team for that when they're not winning games at all, but this is a game we should win even in the Barbee years. If the guys come out even half-focused to get this one, we should take care of business. 

Several air balls and turnovers in the first game. I think the sight-lines really do mess with guys. Hopefully we overcome it early

JwgreDeux, just want to say thanks for all the previews this season. As a casual basketball fan (as opposed to many on these boards who are quite knowledgeable), these have been helpful and enjoyable reading.

:wareagle:

7 hours ago, au302 said:

Great preview! I agree we need Dunans to drive, especially with the sight-lines being weird. This has me a little concerned being that we are a shooting team. I also think we need Rojo to step up. Like you mentioned Mizzou has no answer for Wiley so it would be cool to see Rojo drive and then dish it to Austin under the goal. The only other reason I'm concerned is because I think Mizzou will play very hard. Their situation seems to be different from most teams. For example, NC State just completely quitting on Gottfried yesterday. I think their players respect Kim Anderson and I think they play hard, at least until the game is out of reach. You hit all the points, we need to come out quick and send them on their way to the offseason before the first half ends. I think we win this game but I am uneasy about it. Lets hope the boys come out playing hard! WDE!!

Guess folks noted that Johnny Jones got his walking papers from LSU this week...before they ever got eliminated in the SEC tournament.  

For the life of me, I just can't understand it..... if a school is almost to the end of a dreadful season, what 's the reason to fire the coach before their season is actually over? 

Teams like LSU or NC State...what does that give them ? ...a couple extra days to look for a new coach and how many coaches on those schools "list" will talk to them before their own seasons are over ?   JMO but that's beyond cold blooded...it's an insult to the players on those teams who in most cases actually like their coach...and usually guarantees that the team will not come forward with some kind of surprise that makes firing the guy harder....though in tonight's game, LSU is actually showing a pulse and giving MSU a little bit of a struggle.

I guess it's possible that Mizz might do the same?  :dunno: 

It's disgusting honestly. These players come in and work hard every day, and firing their coach is a slap in the face. I think people sometimes forget that when a coach gets fired so does all his staff. It's sad and not right. Schools need to wait until they lose in the conference tourney

Archived