All things Malik Willis (Merged)

Elephant Tipper

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, ClaytonAU said:

Where's the ignore button? 

If only it were 100% effective. I use it liberally, and yet I still have to maneuver around the same idiots starting arguments with everyone. 

But the problem's not them. It's the rest of us. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

If only it were 100% effective. I use it liberally, and yet I still have to maneuver around the same idiots starting arguments with everyone. 

The ignore feature is for sissies. 

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

So,

Willful Ignorance?

WDE

Just now, AUinTLoosa said:

So,

Willful Ignorance?

WDE

Attempted ignorance. 

If every sip of the world's finest whiskey were accompanied by 10 gnats buzzing around my head while I drank it, I think it would be easy for me to switch to gin.

48 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Attempted ignorance. 

If every sip of the world's finest whiskey were accompanied by 10 gnats buzzing around my head while I drank it, I think it would be easy for me to switch to gin.

w./ tonic

Classic malaria prevention

27 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Actually just read the history of the stuff. Didn't know it was Dutch!

Drifting even farther (further?) afield, I think Bols Genever is about the only Dutch gin we can get around here.

Typically comes in a heavy clay bottle that stands up to freezers. Dad used to make (pretty wet) martinis and so stash them. Poured like Karo syrup. He called them "crystal yum-yums,"

2 hours ago, Barnacle said:

The ignore feature is for sissies. 

Guilty

At least he admits it 

32 minutes ago, AUinTLoosa said:

Drifting even farther (further?) afield, I think Bols Genever is about the only Dutch gin we can get around here.

Typically comes in a heavy clay bottle that stands up to freezers. Dad used to make (pretty wet) martinis and so stash them. Poured like Karo syrup. He called them "crystal yum-yums,"

I can't wait to try my hand at a crystal yum-yum. Just genever and vermouth chilled in the glass in the freezer?

I can't wait to try my hand at a crystal yum-yum. Just genever and vermouth chilled in the glass in the freezer?

Sorry for lack of clarity.

Freezer-chilled in the clay bottle! Once you got that, use any gin/wetness of your choice (and Genever is a bit heavier than London-style gin). Trust me, nothing glass is built for it.

Neighbors did tend to come by in the summertime.

Why did Malzahn not ever won't his QB's to go to a QB camp and have someone who could teach them how to be better QB's? I don't understand.

1 hour ago, auburn4ever said:

Why did Malzahn not ever won't his QB's to go to a QB camp and have someone who could teach them how to be better QB's? I don't understand.

because damn it

20 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

He didn't want them to get the big head and think they knew more about quarterbacking than he does.

We have had good success with proven winners at the HS or JUCO levels:  Cam, Nick, etc.  It says a lot about the kid's leadership  (and his supporting cast in many cases)

I like Malik a lot. Great work ethic and proven winner to go along with sick athleticism. He's gonna be good!

As soon as JS signed, in Evan to feel good about our QB situation. After looking  around the league a little, I feel even better about it. 

1. Stidham (potential to be best QB in SEC)

2. SW (definitely best backup in SEC)

3.  Malik (Redshirt candidate. Great potential!)

3rd on the depth chart. Woody (large, athletic kid with a lot of potential)

Unfortunately, Queen will never be a factor. 

Hopefully, JF3 will change positions, work hard, and make major contributions this fall. 

• 3 weeks later...

Auburn freshman quarterback Malik Willis trying to 'soak in everything' this spring

Tom Green | tgreen@al.com

Malik Willis is taking advantage of the opportunity being afforded to him this spring at Auburn. With Sean White limited and John Franklin III splitting time at wide receiver, Willis is being given a chance to get in the mix at quarterback this spring in just his first semester of college.

Last week, offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey said Willis, former Baylor transfer Jarrett Stidham and redshirt freshman Woody Barrett are "getting the bulk of our reps" with the offense as Lindsey installs it this spring. Although Willis is very unlikely to actually win the quarterback job as a freshman, he is still turning some heads in practice.

"For a freshman, for a guy that really should be in high school getting ready for prom, I think he's been really, really good," Lindsey said. "He's a mature kid.... You can tell he's played a high level of high school football. I think Malik is a very talented guy, he's smart, he's trying everything he can to soak in everything."

The 6-foot-1, 185-pound Willis is one of Auburn's freshman early enrollees who arrived on campus in January. Like most freshmen going through their first college practices, there has been an adjustment period for Willis, who has been working to get up to speed through the first handful of practices.

Auburn quarterback competition expected to continue into fall camp

After the first week of practices, however, Lindsey felt that Willis started to come into his own during the team's fourth practice of the spring.

"Today I really thought the game slowed down for him a little bit," Lindsey said Tuesday. "He kind of got his feet going with his upper body, sometimes his feet are going one way and his body is going another. I really like his progress."

What has perhaps stood out most about Willis through five practices is his arm strength. As a senior at Roswell (Ga.) High, he threw for 2,562 yards, and he has been working with private quarterback coach Sean McEvoy since August to improve his mechanics.

"Malik's got a very strong arm and that's really what stands out to me right now," Auburn coach Gus Malzahn said. "It's just a matter of getting used to a new offense and everything that goes with it. There's a lot of moving parts just with the communication before the play and then you got the play and the reads and everything that goes with that. He's got a real good attitude but he's got a really strong arm."

For Willis, it's more about gaining experience and becoming truly comfortable with the position. Prior to his senior season at Roswell, Willis only played quarterback sparingly; he mostly played receiver during his sophomore and juniors seasons at Atlanta's Westlake High before being moved to quarterback out of necessity. When he transferred to Roswell before his senior season, he moved to the position full time.

The results were promising, even if his talent was mostly raw. To go along with his 2,562 passing yards, Willis rushed for 1,033 yards and accounted for 37 total touchdowns during his senior season while being named the Class 7A Offensive Player of the Year by the AJC.

Willis works out with private quarterback coach

Willis works out with private quarterback coach

Auburn freshman quarterback Malik Willis worked with a private quarterback coach on Sunday while back home in Georgia for the weekend.

He has worked with McEvoy, a private coach with Premier Quarterback Training, since last August and their work together continued after Willis enrolled at Auburn -- something that Malzahn used to prohibit his quarterbacks from doing but is now acceptable with Lindsey running the Tigers' offense. The two worked out in February while Willis was home for a weekend, working to build consistency in the young quarterback's throwing motion.

Willis, who is a likely redshirt candidate in 2017, still has room to grow at quarterback, but getting an opportunity to rep with the offense this spring is invaluable experience for his future with the program.

"Obviously, he's such a phenomenal athlete that colleges had him on the radar just because they saw him as a guy who could maybe play multiple places on the field," McEvoy said last month. "What he wanted to do was play quarterback, and he worked hard to develop that piece and wanted to make sure wherever he went was a school that loved him as a quarterback for them. Where he's gotten to now is just to a point where he could compete to play at that position in the SEC and go out there and do what it takes to be successful at it."

1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Hope he can put at least 10 pounds on. Dude physically could at least be the next Boykin 

Good comparison. I would be very happy with that result.

How many of you think Malik will be redshirted this year? After being redshirted last year, I hope Barrett will get a chance to show he can play QB.

I like that Malik knew the depth chart was going to be stacked coming in and he still chose to enroll early and compete with the possibility of red shirting. 

I don't know what the consensus is here as I haven't been able to get on the forum much lately but from the blogs/reporters I keep up with, it seems people are optimistic about coach chip's ability to develop QB's.

Malik seems to have some electric speed and moves in his highlights and while I doubt we see him throwing for 3.5k and running for 1.5k his sophomore year, I could see him really shining in years to come. if he sees coaching consisentcy, proper delevopment and the time he needs. 

Archived