All things Malik Willis (Merged)

Elephant Tipper

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Charhair said:

I like that Malik knew the depth chart was going to be stacked coming in and he still chose to enroll early and compete with the possibility of red shirting. 

I don't know what the consensus is here as I haven't been able to get on the forum much lately but from the blogs/reporters I keep up with, it seems people are optimistic about coach chip's ability to develop QB's.

Malik seems to have some electric speed and moves in his highlights and while I doubt we see him throwing for 3.5k and running for 1.5k his sophomore year, I could see him really shining in years to come. if he sees coaching consisentcy, proper delevopment and the time he needs. 

To your first paragraph, I'm with you. I hate to quote a certain coach.... one we all here hate. But we agree his wisdom is unmatched. He said if you can get everyone focused on the process of building something instead of the results, the results will follow. Not exactly quoted but close. I liked Malik when I first checked him out and I think it was when he committed. 

7 hours ago, Charhair said:

I like that Malik knew the depth chart was going to be stacked coming in and he still chose to enroll early and compete with the possibility of red shirting. 

Agree. Really, his competition is Woody Barrett and Joey Gatewood, and Joey might redshirt. That's not an "easy" path, but QBs won't usually have it any easier at a top flight program. 

28 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Agree. Really, his competition is Woody Barrett and Joey Gatewood, and Joey might redshirt. That's not an "easy" path, but QBs won't usually have it any easier at a top flight program. 

I wouldn't be totally shocked if Gatewood becomes Kheil Frazier 2.0. 

36 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I'm going to say that Willis will be ahead of Barrett at the end of spring. Might not be publicly but we will hear that Willis is. 

10 minutes ago, thaitopher said:

I would.

Kiehl came into the program when it was in the most toxic state it's ever been in. He had no offensive line. Our leading receiver that season was Emory Blake. After him? An injured Lutz and then CJ Uzomah. We lost Mike Dyer in the offseason. Onterrio McCalebb was our 2nd leading rusher. The offense got absolutely no help whatsoever from the defense. None of the QBs stood a chance that year.

Now, Kiehl shoulders some of the blame, don't get me wrong. He probably wasn't as good as we'd hoped. But Gatewood will be surrounded by much better talent and leadership than Kiehl was. He won't be asked to singlehandedly raise a sinking ship as a sophomore, I don't think. At a minimum, he won't get Loefflered. 

6 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I would.

Kiehl came into the program when it was in the most toxic state it's ever been in. He had no offensive line. Our leading receiver that season was Emory Blake. After him? An injured Lutz and then CJ Uzomah. We lost Mike Dyer in the offseason. Onterrio McCalebb was our 2nd leading rusher. The offense got absolutely no help whatsoever from the defense. None of the QBs stood a chance that year.

Now, Kiehl shoulders some of the blame, don't get me wrong. He probably wasn't as good as we'd hoped. But Gatewood will be surrounded by much better talent and leadership than Kiehl was. He won't be asked to singlehandedly raise a sinking ship as a sophomore, I don't think. At a minimum, he won't get Loefflered. 

Lets hope. 

28 minutes ago, thaitopher said:

I would. Joey will be Jordan Reed 2.0 long before KF.

4 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I'd be sooooo okay with that. I actually thought of him before when we were having the "If Joey moves..." conversation. BUT... I'm not looking for him to move yet. 

47 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Is there chatter about him possibly moving to TE, or is that just something that you are thinking might happen?

I would be more than ok, if we could flip Justin Fields then move Gatewood to TE. That would pretty much be a win win scenario. At this point I think I would rather have Justin Fields anyways.

32 minutes ago, thaitopher said:

Is there chatter about him possibly moving to TE, or is that just something that you are thinking might happen?

Just fan speculation. Any time we have an athletic QB and there is competition, people talk about moving the kid. People are even talking about moving TQ to Hback or TE, for example. In Joey's case, it's a little bit exacerbated by the fact that he's been moonlighting at WR at his high school. As for WR vs TE, that's just a guess from some based on his frame.

But... all speculation. Nothing from Joey, the recruiting services or our coaches. 

46 minutes ago, thaitopher said:

I would be more than ok, if we could flip Justin Fields then move Gatewood to TE. That would pretty much be a win win scenario. At this point I think I would rather have Justin Fields anyways.

Just a realistic possibility. WDE & Bird have hypothisized it for a long time FWIW. Reality is if he has to split time at QB again this year he will not have many reps to develop coming into AU. Add to that True frosh rarely get more than scout team reps after a starting QB is named. Not much development to be had there before going into a RS Fresh year.

8 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I'm going to say that Willis will be ahead of Barrett at the end of spring. Might not be publicly but we will hear that Willis is. 

I would bet on it happening

On 3/15/2017 at 10:41 AM, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Wait.... did you not say something last fall about Woody getting playing time after a couple of games? Now he's getting passed up by a freshman!?! Your prognostications remind me of Leonard's Losers, good for a laugh. 

13 hours ago, TigerTy said:

Wait.... did you not say something last fall about Woody getting playing time after a couple of games? Now he's getting passed up by a freshman!?! Your prognostications remind me of Leonard's Losers, good for a laugh. 

That was before Willis was heard of..... I guess. 

On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 7:49 AM, JDUBB4AU said:

Kid is a winner. Marshall 2.0 

Here we go again.........

12 hours ago, alexava said:

That was before Willis was heard of..... I guess. 

30 post in and he couldn't wait to get a shot in LOL. Clearly, he has some sort of axe with WDE.

On 3/15/2017 at 8:49 AM, JDUBB4AU said:

Kid is a winner. Marshall 2.0 

You know this how?

wde

7 hours ago, AUIH1 said:

You know this how?

wde

Because I do bro. Look at his recruiting page or topic or whatever it is. One of the top players in GAs biggest classification.. you can read.. go find the article ... that's how I know 

15 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Because I do bro. Look at his recruiting page or topic or whatever it is. One of the top players in GAs biggest classification.. you can read.. go find the article ... that's how I know 

LOL.  1.  I am not your bro.  2.  I have seen him play in person about 8 times in high school so I do not need to look at his hyped recruiting page and I am well aware of his high school's classification in GA.  Yes I can read and I can find a hyped article.  You know nothing other than what you have read online. He may turn out to be great, but he needs a lot coaching.  No one knows anything about him at this point, especially you.

wde

1 hour ago, AUIH1 said:

LOL.  1.  I am not your bro.  2.  I have seen him play in person about 8 times in high school so I do not need to look at his hyped recruiting page and I am well aware of his high school's classification in GA.  Yes I can read and I can find a hyped article.  You know nothing other than what you have read online. He may turn out to be great, but he needs a lot coaching.  No one knows anything about him at this point, especially you.

wde

Ok so to make you feel better . Willis is gonna suck .. since optimism isn't in your vocabulary. I thought we both loved Auburn University. If that's true you are indeed my bro or sister depending on which gender you identify with which apparently tonight is 12 year old spoiled brat little girl. I get that you know more about this kid. Congratulations. I think he will be a good pickup. Please remove the stick from your ass. 

Wde

Archived