Softball vs. Georgia - game 3

Fagan flies to deep center.   Veach sends one deep to left center and its off the wall and Veach ends up with a triple.   1 out.  Shea coming up.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like I said Friday night, I don't understand why Rivera hasn't been playing.  I know she's a true freshman, but she got selected for the USA junior team for some reason.  She can play.

1 minute ago, wareagle13 said:

From the announcers explanation, I think by the letter of the interference rule she was justified in not calling it. The spirit of the rule is another beast. That runner clearly ran outside of the baseline and made contact with a player attempting to field a ball and shouldve been ruled out for that alone. The "needing to make an act of throwing" is BS reason if the interference makes a throw an unreasonable choice.

No issue about her running out of the base line (unless she is doing it to avoid a tag).  runner was right to run out to avoid the interference issue.  Not sure about this needing to make a throwing stuff unless that is in the college officials manual.

Just now, WarTiger said:

Common misnomer.  There is not such thing as a base line between 1st and 2nd or 2nd and 3rd.  

While true, I have seen and been a part of calls involving a deviation of running path resulting in interference. She was running on a straight line and deviated her course resulting in contact. If that isn't classic interference then i've clearly been away from the game for too long.

Shea chops one to the right side, 2nd baseman fields it and takes it to first and tags the base.  2 outs.   run scores.  Auburn leads 4-3.  Rivera bloops one up on the infield, caught at 2nd to end the inning.  But, Auburn gets a run and takes a 4-3 lead going to the bottom 5th.

3 minutes ago, wareagle13 said:

While true, I have seen and been a part of calls involving a deviation of running path resulting in interference. She was running on a straight line and deviated her course resulting in contact. If that isn't classic interference then i've clearly been away from the game for too long.

Agree if the runner changes her course resulting in contact - you can get interference, but on that play I did not see contact, so the runner changing her course to avoid contact is not an issue

Just now, GBAU83 said:

Agree if the runner changes her course resulting in contact - you can get interference, but on that play I did not see contact, so the runner changing her course to avoid contact is not an issue

I guess that shows the power of perception, I thought i saw contact, especially with the runner tripping and stumbling coming immediately after being in Fagan's vicinity.

Here's a NOTE from the college rule book on Interference:   This could very well be what the umpires were applying in the previous inning:

Note: If both players’ actions are appropriate to the situation and contact could
not be avoided, it is incidental contact and neither interference nor obstruction.

Carlson sets them down in order in the 5th.  Auburn still leads 4-3.   Jordan, McCrackin and Draper coming up

1 minute ago, wareagle13 said:

I guess that shows the power of perception, I thought i saw contact, especially with the runner tripping and stumbling coming immediately after being in Fagan's vicinity.

If there hadn't been any contact that runner wouldn't have stumbled after Fagan made the catch.  There was definite contact, although it could have been very minimal.  It was definitely there. 

Perry strikes out looking on a pitch that didn't look like a strike.  2 outs.  Draper up

That called 3rd strike on Perry was the same spot as the first pitch of the ballgame and called a strike.  So have to give this blue credit for consistency.

georgia sends one deep to center and Draper sprints back and makes a nice catch.  1 out.

Carlson is a great fielder as a pitcher.

pop up on the infield and caught by Veach right on the line to end the 6th.   Auburn leads 4-3.     Top of the order for Auburn.   Wallace, Cooper and Fagan.  Let's get a couple of runs here.

Wallace grounds it back up the middle, cut off behind the bag at 2nd but throw not in time.   Wallace on 1st to start the 7th.   Kasey Cooper up.    Morgan Podany in to pinch run for Wallace.

So what was the issue for the Georgia player - just a substitution or an injury?

Slow roller to 1st but they get Fagan.  Podany moves to 3rd.   2 outs.  Kendall Veach up.

Archived