Baseball vs Georgia Tech

42 minutes ago, wareagle13 said:

11-8 GT final, Dylan Ingraham grounds into his upteenth billion double play. When will CBT bench him and let him work on his swing.

He needs to be benched. Honestly, there's a good portion of our lineup that needs to pick it up. We've leaned on 3 or 4 guys who have really helped. We need Anthony and Ingram to start hitting the ball. I'm not trying to say the rest of the lineup has been bad but we have even more potential, which is great considering we've had such a good year so far. 

Not a big loss. I think CBT experimented a lot and Klobo's bad outing haunted us. We should've had it but I don't think we should worry about it too much. 

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, AU64 said:

Well...hated to see that loss....AU had enough runs to win this game but other that the top 5 pitchers...maybe top 6....we don't have enough to reliably protect the leads in these mid week games.   I guess BT has to take the risks to develop the kids but once the game was there to be had, to let it get away like that hurts. JMO

The players let it get away by losing focus after the horrible homerun call. They started swing mad for homers instead of sticking to the solid, patient approaches that got them their 8 runs. Obviously I can't know for sure but if the umps didn't blow that call I strongly believe we win that game. Hitting approaches would have been much better and I feel; we would have gotten double digit runs fairly easily. And I think Lipscomb closes the door in the 9th likely not giving up the homer Herndo did.

A lot contributed to that loss, but sloppy defense stood out to me as it's uncharacteristic of this team.  The error in the 1st allowed the 5 run rally to start.  Without that error, it's 2 out with nobody on for Tech.  Later in the night you had a missed pop up behind the plate and other little things throughout the game.

Also not sure I understand the decision to start Klobo over Camacho unless Macho is pitching this weekend while Keegan sits one more week.

The missed home run call is one more in a line of questionable or absolutely blown calls by umpires in the last few weeks.

im curious if other schools are getting these types of bad calls.  Have other schools gotten these types of game changing bad calls in games against us?  That I don't remember?

I just hated that they let Klobo get in so deep before making a change...but I've seen him pitch enough times to know that the wheels can come off so fast, that BT doesn't have time to even call the bullpen and get someone warming up.  Guess it would be a "lack of faith" to have his reliever already warming up when Klobo puts his first runner on base.....but he sure does need a short leash.

The other issue was the succession of fly balls to the outfield during the final 3 or 4 innings.....was everyone going for the fences?.   The Tech pitcher was pretty good but when five or six guys hit medium deep flies to the outfield in almost consecutive at bats.... it's on the batters and not just about the pitcher IMO.  Probably the worst thing that can happen to a light hitting team is for a couple guys to hit HRs....gives everyone the idea that they can do it too I guess.

1 hour ago, Brad_ATX said:

A lot contributed to that loss, but sloppy defense stood out to me as it's uncharacteristic of this team.  The error in the 1st allowed the 5 run rally to start.  Without that error, it's 2 out with nobody on for Tech.  Later in the night you had a missed pop up behind the plate and other little things throughout the game.

Also not sure I understand the decision to start Klobo over Camacho unless Macho is pitching this weekend while Keegan sits one more week.

Camacho didn't pitch because he has soreness in his pitching arm. He was going to be the starter last night. 

1 hour ago, Brad_ATX said:

As stated in the interview posted on page 1 Butch held out Macho due to tenderness in the arm developed last week in the Bama game. Keegan is likely back this weekend.

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

The other issue was the succession of fly balls to the outfield during the final 3 or 4 innings.....was everyone going for the fences?.   The Tech pitcher was pretty good but when five or six guys hit medium deep flies to the outfield in almost consecutive at bats... it's on the batters and not just about the pitcher IMO.  Probably the worst thing that can happen to a light hitting team is for a couple guys to hit HRs....gives everyone the idea that they can do it too I guess.

That was on the hitters swinging pissed off, losing focus, & not being patient after the bogus home run call. Butch essentially said the same thing after the game.

2 hours ago, mustache eagle said:

The missed home run call is one more in a line of questionable or absolutely blown calls by umpires in the last few weeks.

im curious if other schools are getting these types of bad calls.  Have other schools gotten these types of game changing bad calls in games against us?  That I don't remember?

The home-run was reviewed. I feel sure that cameras are set up on the foul lines. How do you review that and miss it? Bad angle from Birmingham perhaps??

Umps and Refs in the SEC are not what one would expect in a top conference but I am of the view that if you look objectively at their "work" they are pretty balanced in their bad calls.   

For example the guy that McGuffn threw out from RF on the sac fly looked pretty much like he was safe....which would have kept an inning alive and given Tech another run too.    But the timing of the HR was awful....I looked several times on my HD and could not tell for certain....thought the ball might have come out from behind the pole but could not tell for sure with the dark background.

PS....stormy day in NC mountains this afternoon.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

As stated in the interview posted on page 1 Butch held out Macho due to tenderness in the arm developed last week in the Bama game. Keegan is likely back this weekend.

Gotcha.  Sorry, don't always have time to listen to interviews.  Actually prefer written recaps since they are faster :)

6 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Umps and Refs in the SEC are not what one would expect in a top conference but I am of the view that if you look objectively at their "work" they are pretty balanced in their bad calls.   

For example the guy that McGuffn threw out from RF on the sac fly looked pretty much like he was safe....which would have kept an inning alive and given Tech another run too.    But the timing of the HR was awful....I looked several times on my HD and could not tell for certain....thought the ball might have come out from behind the pole but could not tell for sure with the dark background.

PS....stormy day in NC mountains this afternoon.

Someone took a zoomed in screenshot of the replay video. 

1C126F0A-1DDF-4AE1-AD9F-542CB13989F6_zps

15 hours ago, jared52 said:

I shouldn't have said anything about hosting a regional. :)

It's one loss- we were swept by Arizona State in 2010 and still were pretty comfortably a regional host.

8 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

It's one loss- we were swept by Arizona State in 2010 and still were pretty comfortably a regional host.

That team had much larger margin of error than this team does. Don't forget, with few high school JRs & Sophs on the team this was supposed to be another rebuilding year. 2010 was loaded with Sophs, Jrs, & SRs that had been in the program at AU. Of the 33 players on this team 20 are new to the program.

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

That team had much larger margin of error than this team does. Don't forget, with few high school JRs & Sophs on the team this was supposed to be another rebuilding year. 2010 was loaded with Sophs, Jrs, & SRs that had been in the program at AU. Of the 33 players on this team 20 are new to the program.

You a correct but I'm looking more at the body of work, not looking at what the team will "probably" end up winning. I'm saying The 2010 team's record was about like this in their season and they had some bad losses too.

8 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

You a correct but I'm looking more at the body of work, not looking at what the team will "probably" end up winning. I'm saying The 2010 team's record was about like this in their season and they had some bad losses too.

I know and I'm saying it remains to be seen if this year's team can follow suit to the extent the 2010 team did.

On 4/4/2017 at 7:54 PM, wareagle13 said:

Daniel Robert looks like he just got robbed of a double, that ball looks like it hit the foul line. He struck out two pitches later.

There was no doubt seeing it live and multiple replays later that night. Kicked up chalk right in front of him and still blew the call. This is same ump who totally whiffed on the phantom HR! DRob was robbed of a hit and another potential RBI. 

9 hours ago, HitandRun5 said:

There was no doubt seeing it live and multiple replays later that night. Kicked up chalk right in front of him and still blew the call. This is same ump who totally whiffed on the phantom HR! DRob was robbed of a hit and another potential RBI. 

Andy Burcham & Scott Sullivan said on the telecast it didn't kick any white paint up. It was foul. On the tv you can see the divet it created in the dirt outside the white.

7 hours ago, ellitor said:

Andy Burcham & Scott Sullivan said on the telecast it didn't kick any white paint up. It was foul. On the tv you can see the divet it created in the dirt outside the white.

Don't mean to beat a dead horse here, but on the replay I saw, nothing got kicked up at all, even dirt. It really looked like it hit the white line when they did the slowmo of it. Granted I was watching on a computer screen and not a big 55 inch tv.

4 hours ago, wareagle13 said:

Don't mean to beat a dead horse here, but on the replay I saw, nothing got kicked up at all, even dirt. It really looked like it hit the white line when they did the slowmo of it. Granted I was watching on a computer screen and not a big 55 inch tv.

If you look closely you can see the divet it created in the dirt that wasn't there before the ball landed.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

If you look closely you can see the divet it created in the dirt that wasn't there before the ball landed.

watching again on the replay, now in HD quality not streaming quality, i agree. There was a slight disturbance of dirt about .000005 inches from the white line lol but it was foul. i concede.

Archived