Spotlight on Auburn's "screen" game.

StatTiger

A couple of points, and notice a change from the CGM/CRL WR screens.

First, CCL likes to run an option play out of stack WR formation. One WR drops back for the screen, the other cuts inside on a slant, forcing one of the defenders to choose between the two prospective receivers. This is a big difference from the CGM/CRL WR screen where instead of running a route, the other WR simply blocks one of the DBs. The other is this play, which is somewhat similar, but forces a DB coverage switch. The stack means there is not a clear 1 WR (outside) and 2 WR (slot). Ordinarily, the expectation is the 1 WR will go deep, and be covered by the CB. Here, the stacked 1 WR cuts inside while the 2 WR drops into the backfield for the screen. The inside cut of the 1 WR forces the Safety to pick up the coverage, then the 1 WR goes for the corner.

I think this play would work well against the pass defense schemes UAT and Ole Miss run.

Both of these plays go to something in CCL's philosophy: WRs who are not pass targets on a play should always initially run routes, not block. CCL believes in WRs running a route to pull DBs away from the play, and only switch to blocking after the WR is confident the play has happened. When you look back at CGM/CRL's offense in the past, often times our WRs were engaging in blocks immediately after the snap. This caused the opposing DBs to immediately realize a running play. If the WR did not block, the DB was confident in covering the WR and assuming any play action was a fake.

• Like 2

Regarding SW in the Red Zone, I think this had more to do with play calling and a lack of confidence in our pass blocking.

SW was most effective at short to intermediate distances. His accuracy dropped off on long passes, and I don't think he was as accurate when moving. In the Red Zone, the pass coverage is compressed, you can run a one-deep zone or be effective with man to man, so the defense can cover effectively but rush more.

With man coverage a quick pass is more effectively covered, but with more pass rushers there is less time to wait for a receiver to get open. It is a challenging environment unless your pass blocking is rock solid.

It is in the Red Zone where crossing routes, rubs, picks, etc. have the most success (see Clemson in the CFB NC game last year). We did not seem to have many plays of that type in the last two years.

• Like 1

Guest WarEagleSteve
2 hours ago, VipersStrike1 said:

Sean%20White%20INTs.gif%7Eoriginal

87-11-14%20WHOO.gif%7Eoriginal

Not that I'm necessarily a SW apologist or anything but I hardly think that cherry picking three throws (none of which were in the red zone) from games in which it is quite well known that Sean was significantly injured makes whatever point it is that you're trying to make. 

12 minutes ago, WarEagleSteve said:

Not that I'm necessarily a SW apologist or anything but I hardly think that cherry picking three throws (none of which were in the red zone) from games in which it is quite well known that Sean was significantly injured makes whatever point it is that you're trying to make. 

Was he injured in the Memphis game? Proof please. The infinite excuse as to why White under-performs.

Cherry picking THREE throws, TWO of them which were pick sixes? I DID provide a red zone pass that was intended for Manute Bol. Would you like for me to cherry pick more inexcusable throws? Just let me know as there's more where that came from.

Edited by VipersStrike1
  • Like 1

Guest WarEagleSteve
4 minutes ago, VipersStrike1 said:

Was he injured in the Memphis game? Proof please. The infinite excuse as to why White under-performs.

Cherry picking THREE throws? Would you like for me to cherry pick more inexcusable throws? Just let me know as there's more where that came from.

He was coming off the Arkansas injury and still in a knee brace. The argument at hand is whether or not Sean White is an effective RED ZONE passer. All of the plays you referenced were between the 20s. I personally think that Sean is a capable passer albeit one with limited physical tools who has had the misfortune of playing in a schematically inept offense (at least, from a passing standpoint) for the past two years. If you'd like to make an argument that this isn't the case, by all means but at least make a cogent argument. Stringing a handful of clips together free of any context and framing them as a "mic drop" indictment of SW abilities or lack thereof isn't an argument. 

Just now, WarEagleSteve said:

He was coming off the Arkansas injury and still in a knee brace. The argument at hand is whether or not Sean White is an effective RED ZONE passer. All of the plays you referenced were between the 20s. I personally think that Sean is a capable passer albeit one with limited physical tools who has had the misfortune of playing in a schematically inept offense (at least, from a passing standpoint) for the past two years. If you'd like to make an argument that this isn't the case, by all means but at least make a cogent argument. Stringing a handful of clips together free of any context and framing them as a "mic drop" indictment of SW abilities or lack thereof isn't an argument. 

So you purposely ignored the red zone pass intended for Manute Bol? Oh wait...I cherry-picked that one too.

Guest WarEagleSteve
7 hours ago, meh130 said:

Regarding SW in the Red Zone, I think this had more to do with play calling and a lack of confidence in our pass blocking.

SW was most effective at short to intermediate distances. His accuracy dropped off on long passes, and I don't think he was as accurate when moving. In the Red Zone, the pass coverage is compressed, you can run a one-deep zone or be effective with man to man, so the defense can cover effectively but rush more.

With man coverage a quick pass is more effectively covered, but with more pass rushers there is less time to wait for a receiver to get open. It is a challenging environment unless your pass blocking is rock solid.

It is in the Red Zone where crossing routes, rubs, picks, etc. have the most success (see Clemson in the CFB NC game last year). We did not seem to have many plays of that type in the last two years.

I don't think we've had many crossing routes or rubs at all the past two years, red zone or no. We seemed to rely almost entirely on bootlegs for our red zone passing game (at least, it certainly seems that way) to very little success. 

30 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Drop it this has nothing to do with the OP. If you want to discuss SW start another thread.

Oh right. Only POSITIVE White comments on this forum, injuries and all.

Start another White thread and you get banned. Unreal how you guys defend a Sun Belt QB.

Can't wait till you guys dismiss Stidham's 30+ passing TD passes this season by saying "Oh but Sean could have done the same thing had he been in Lindsay's system."

10 TOTAL passing TDs in TWO seasons notwithstanding. Oh wait...he got injured 98 Bazillion times. Such a reliable guy.

Edited by VipersStrike1

On 5/1/2017 at 8:53 PM, bigbird said:

One of our biggest issues. People harped on our QB's lack of red zone TDs, but seldom would listen to this stat.

I'll bet defensive coordinators started to notice it. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, homersapien said:

I'll bet defensive coordinators started to notice it. 

That why we saw 9 men 4-5 yards from the LOS so often.

• Like 1

Looking at those three plays that Viper posted again, the thing that jumps out to me is how avidly Tony Stephens is trying to avoid contact in the play against UGA, lol. All the talent in the world but just never looked like he really wanted to play tackle football. Maybe professional 7vs7?......But, back to the screen game discussion, sorry for the derail.