Just bring me a sammich an' a beer

AURex

Where do you come down on the definition of a sandwich? Personally, I don't like sweets and don't eat sweets, so I'm biased. And I'm an old guy, so I've always thought of a sandwich as anything between slices of bread -- the bread being the requirement for defining something as a sandwich. But I don't eat a lot of bread these days. I like wraps and stuff in tortilla shells and such. So I guess my definition has evolved over the years. I'm now Ingredient Neutral, Structural Rebel. If it is inside breading of some sort, and you can pick it up and eat it, I consider it a sandwich. But as for sweet stuff, for me, No, an Oreo is not a sandwich. Ice cream between waffles is not a sandwich.

Where do you come down on this?

C-wyhyfXYAALcbz.jpgC-wyhyfXYAALcbz-1.jpg?w=1200

3 hours ago, WarTiger said:

what the hell is a sammich?

Something your wife brings you when you're hungry.

I'm structure neutral, ingredient purist. Only because a sub is obviously a sandwich. If not for that, hardliner.

The container has to be some kind of bread for me. Like these stupid fast food gimmicks where they put things between chicken patties or whatever are NOT sandwiches. The whole point of a sandwich, or burrito, or taco, or egg roll, or samosa, or a Hot Pocket or whatever is to use some sort of cooked dough to separate hand from meat, cheese, vegetables, condiments, etc. 

I vacillate on this question. Currently leaning towards a taxonomy where all of the above are species belonging to the same genus, but I'm not sure what you'd call the genus. 

Take a piece of sliced white bread, tear it in half, pile on a lot of deli style roast beef and smoked turkey breast, cover with American, Swiss, or Cheddar cheese. Put other half of bread on top and you have a sammich with mostly meat and half the bread. Yum!

On 5/7/2017 at 10:28 PM, Bigbens42 said:

I'm structure neutral, ingredient purist. Only because a sub is obviously a sandwich. If not for that, hardliner.

Color me the same, except that I'm also perfectly comfortable with a properly "filled" open-face in the right setting. 

On 5/8/2017 at 8:39 AM, McLoofus said:

The container has to be some kind of bread for me. Like these stupid fast food gimmicks where they put things between chicken patties or whatever are NOT sandwiches. The whole point of a sandwich, or burrito, or taco, or egg roll, or samosa, or a Hot Pocket or whatever is to use some sort of cooked dough to separate hand from meat, cheese, vegetables, condiments, etc. 

I vacillate on this question. Currently leaning towards a taxonomy where all of the above are species belonging to the same genus, but I'm not sure what you'd call the genus. 

Not sure we can define it generically. I'll certainly go with bread as a defining quality, but even if it doesn't qualify as finger food. I do think we need to exclude dumplings.

1 hour ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Not sure we can define it generically. I'll certainly go with bread as a defining quality, but even if it doesn't qualify as finger food. I do think we need to exclude dumplings.

HAS to be handheld. Absolutely.

Also, thoughts on savory vs sweet? PB&Js and monte cristo/croque monsieurs are definitely sandwiches, but I'm almost tempted to exclude ice cream sandwiches and choco tacos.

33 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Why should no one ever starve in a desert?

Well, I feel like maybe this is a joke that involves food with sand in the name, but this is a thread about hot dogs so I'm really not sure where you're headed with this one. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Well, I feel like maybe this is a joke that involves food with sand in the name, but this is a thread about hot dogs so I'm really not sure where you're headed with this one. 

Yeah, sorry, but I feel committed now. Old childhood.

Because of all the sand which is there.

14 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Yeah, sorry, but I feel committed now. Old childhood.

Man. I was thiiiiiis close.

Btw, I'm trying to make "@" connect with "-gie" in your new handle but I'm not quite getting there. I think I'm on the wrong track?

51 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Man. I was thiiiiiis close.

Btw, I'm trying to make "@" connect with "-gie" in your new handle but I'm not quite getting there. I think I'm on the wrong track?

Smart ass. It's supposed to be a play on Old Folks At...[Home, implied]. (figured readers would mentally pronounce the "x")

Btw - is my sig pic showing up or do I need to translate into [img} format?

1 hour ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere.

10 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Smart ass. It's supposed to be a play on Old Folks At...[Home, implied]. (figured readers would mentally pronounce the "x")

Btw - is my sig pic showing up or do I need to translate into format?

I see a photo containing a few things I'd rather be doing...

As for the name, at least I got the Auld/Old part right...

47 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I see a photo containing a few things I'd rather be doing...

As for the name, at least I got the Auld/Old part right...

Humble apologies for apparent perseveration and continued burdens. Not sure if I'm using the right terminology (Luddite that I am). Wish to be sure I've got this new ID right before I go "back out in public" (Football Forum), because I suspect there're some there that may be interested in the ID-Theft process.

When I get onsite here, what I'd call my "Avi pic"always shows up:

xpDatTX.jpg

When I log-out, and then log back in, however, what I'm calling my "Sig pic" (down at the bottom of the post) reveals itself as a boxed question mark. Are you seeing this one:

62cVJdh.jpg

or do I need to do something else?

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Ahh, gotcha, @AUld fAUx@. Your avi is good, your sig is indeed wonky. 

By Jove! I think he's got it? Many thanks for eyeballs and patience.

Am I ready (as I ever was) ready for prime time? [I'm reminded of the old Marx Bro's "Will he ever play the piano?"]

19 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

By Jove! I think he's got it? Many thanks for eyeballs and patience.

Am I ready (as I ever was) ready for prime time? [I'm reminded of the old Marx Bro's "Will he ever play the piano?"]

Aye. I can see clearly now the little annoying box is gone. 

Archived