Softball Awards

http://www.secsports.com/article/19342465/2017-sec-softball-awards-announced?addata=espn:ncaa:index

2017 SEC Softball Awards announced

about an hour ago

SEC Staff

PHOTO: TENNESSEE ATHLETICS

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. -- The Southeastern Conference announced its annual softball awards to cap the 2017 season and kick off the SEC Softball Tournament in Knoxville, Tenn., May 10-13. The All-SEC Teams consist of 29 total student-athletes, along with a 13-member All-Freshman team and a nine-member All-Defensive Team. No ties were broken.

Meghan Gregg of Tennessee was named Player of the Year, while Kelly Barnhill of Florida earned Pitcher of the Year honors. Freshman of the Year honors went to Caylan Arnold of Tennessee, while Kasey Cooper of Auburn earned the Scholar-Athlete of the Year award. Tim Walton of Florida was selected as Coach of the Year. The awards were voted on by the league's head coaches.

The complete 2017 SEC Softball Postseason Awards is as follows:

First Team All-SEC
P - Kaylee Carlson, Auburn
P - Kelly Barnhill, Florida
P - Delanie Gourley, Florida
IF - Nicole DeWitt, Florida
IF - Kayli Kvistad, Florida
IF - Katie Reed, Kentucky
IF - Caroline Seitz, Mississippi State
IF - Meghan Gregg, Tennessee
OF - Amanda Lorenz, Florida
OF - Cortni Emanuel, Georgia
OF - Bailey Landry, LSU
OF - Kylan Becker, Ole Miss
C - Carlee Wallace, Auburn
DP/U - Aleshia Ocasio, Florida

Second Team All-SEC
P - Alexis Osorio, Alabama
P - Allie Walljasper, LSU
P - Kaitlin Lee, Ole Miss
P - Matty Moss, Tennessee
IF - A.J. Belans, Arkansas
IF - Kasey Cooper, Auburn
IF - Alyssa DiCarlo, Georgia
IF - Kristen Cuyos, Texas A&M
IF - Riley Sartain, Texas A&M
OF - Alyssa Rivera, Auburn
OF - Justine McLean, Florida
OF - Sydni Emanuel, Georgia
OF - Regan Nash, Missouri
C - Sahvanna Jaquish, LSU
DP/U - Brooke Vines, Tennessee

Freshman All-SEC
P - Autumn Storms. Arkansas
P - Morgan Bruce, Ole Miss
P - Caylan Arnold, Tennessee
IF - Sophia Reynoso, Florida
IF - Alex Martens, Kentucky
IF - Braxton Burnside, Missouri
IF - Mackenzie Boesel, South Carolina
IF - Chelsea Seggern, Tennessee
OF - Elissa Brown, Alabama
OF - Alyssa Rivera, Auburn
OF - Bailey Vick, Kentucky
OF - Sarah Hudek, Texas A&M
DP/U - Bailey Hemphill, Alabama

SEC All-Defensive
P - Kaylee Carlson, Auburn
C - Carlee Wallace, Auburn
1B - Kaylea Snaer, South Carolina
2B - Nicole DeWitt, Florida
SS - Meghan Gregg, Tennessee
3B - Kasey Cooper, Auburn
LF - Bailey Vick, Kentucky
CF - Amanda Ivy, Mississippi State
RF - Sydni Emanuel, Georgia

Player of the Year: Meghan Gregg, Tennessee
Pitcher of the Year: Kelly Barnhill, Florida
Freshman of the Year: Caylan Arnold, Tennessee
Scholar-Athlete of the Year: Kasey Cooper, Auburn
Coach of the Year: Tim Walton, Florida

Kasey Cooper deserves first team SEC in my opinion

Seitz beats her about 20 points on batting average,and had 2 fewer errors.  Same number of homers.  I'm a little surprised by the omission of Draper, especially with Rivera being chosen for second team.  but no time to research that now.

2 hours ago, WeagleAU said:

Kasey Cooper deserves first team SEC in my opinion

I dont think she had the type of year she had last year, and although it was good year.. it was not first team caliber. Unfortunately she was also walked a lot, because the only consistent other hitter we had was Wallace, who usually batted in front of her...

She just didn't get a lot of chances like she did last year.

The best award awaits if they can make it three in a row.

I think Cooper's awards this year were correct. 2nd team is about what her hitting earned, particularly with all the walks. She made 1st team defense at 3b and she's clearly that. One of the more exceptional defensive 3b I've ever seen and I go back to Brooks Robinson.

8 hours ago, Mikey said:

I think Cooper's awards this year were correct. 2nd team is about what her hitting earned, particularly with all the walks. She made 1st team defense at 3b and she's clearly that. One of the more exceptional defensive 3b I've ever seen and I go back to Brooks Robinson.

Yep...only a foolish coach would let her bat beat them.  ..but we've not taken good advantage of her on base percentage of about .500....

Reminds me of the time when Frank Thomas  at Auburn and was intentionally walked with the bases loaded....opponent preferred to give up one run rather than see the bases cleared.

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Yep...only a foolish coach would let her bat beat them.  ..but we've not taken good advantage of her on base percentage of about .500....

Reminds me of the time when Frank Thomas  at Auburn and was intentionally walked with the bases loaded....opponent preferred to give up one run rather than see the bases cleared.

I believe this also happened with Richie Howard in the 1976 regional at Tallahassee.  It wound up being a 2-1 game (our way).

Congrats to all the Auburn players.

Rivera was the only freshman to make an All-SEC team! She could easily have been FotY.

Cooper has a good argument for first team over Reed and Seitz, and is a toss up with DeWitt. Looking at the numbers, Fagan is actually a more valuable hitter than Reed and a similar hitter, looks like a bit of a snub that Fagan didn't make second team imo. Looks like the selectors don't like walks.

Draper was probably close but deservedly left off.  You could def. argue Draper>Justine McClean and it's clsoe w Nash.

Archived