Stoops vs. Malzahn

GordoAU

9 hours ago, DAG said:

I absolutely agree with this . Particularly when Kansas State was running things in the late 90s. Of course Nebraska but that was before Stoops . Although , I will say Nebraska had a couple of teams who were legit during the Stoops era. Not to mention Oklahoma state . I just can't think of any who were legitimate NC threats other then maybe Oklahoma state 

Not NC threats but you didn' turn your back on them....and the the criminal at Baylor had their moment. But none had the depth of talent to be a long term problem.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, jAUSon said:

Lionheart I'm a fan of yours so I'll just back this thing down. I'm all in on the changes CGM has made this off season, it fixes (on paper) a lot of our very tangible issues. I'll always blame CGM for Clemson, and UGA. I almost threw a party when CRL took a job elsewhere, and I'll always believe 100% JF3 had enough for a "save" in the UGA game. I'll quit right here by admiting all this adds nothing to the comparisons between Malzahn and Stoops. Great forum. Even when we're arguing. WDE.

No need to back down... You're 100% right about Clemson. I'm also very intrigued to see how Lashlee does this year. If he crashes and burns, that will tell a very interesting tale. So... really all we disagree about is the Georgia game, and when it comes down to it, that's not a huge disagreement.

Think I might give Lash more than one season to produce an offense where had almost nothing to do with the kids playing there.

As for UGa....no reason to lose to them this year.....at AU...that would be crushing.

On 6/8/2017 at 1:51 PM, McLoofus said:

It's impossible to compare Stoops and Gus. Stoops won a national championship as a head coach before Gus had even entered college football as an assistant. 18 years as a head coach vs 5. And if not for a really unfortunate series of events- to include a freaking kicker injury- Gus would already have as many national titles as Stoops.

If Gus keeps recruiting at this level, hiring quality staff and letting them do their jobs, then he absolutely has a chance to be better than Stoops. We might not be able to compare W-L records because of the differences in competition, but we might be able to compare the actual quality of the teams- wins and losses vs ranked opponents, bowl games, players put in the NFL, etc. 

He's definitely got work to do, though. 

Loof drops the mic. 

This should be the end of this discussion....but I know it won't be. Lol. 

Gus should have won the national championship in 2013. We were up 21-3 and Gus and Rhett took their feet off the gas and allowed FSU to hang around and they ended up beating us in the final minutes. We've all seen Auburn go out in front like that but to only have Gus to slow things down instead pooring more gas on the fire. We could have clubbed FSU 42-3 or more if it hadn't been for Malzahn calling off the dogs.

21 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

Gus should have won the national championship in 2013. We were up 21-3 and Gus and Rhett took their feet off the gas and allowed FSU to hang around and they ended up beating us in the final minutes. We've all seen Auburn go out in front like that but to only have Gus to slow things down instead pooring more gas on the fire. We could have clubbed FSU 42-3 or more if it hadn't been for Malzahn calling off the dogs.

completely clueless...and not even remotely close to the truth.

19 minutes ago, WarTiger said:

completely clueless...and not even remotely close to the truth.

But consistent

19 hours ago, AU64 said:

As for UGa....no reason to lose to them this year.....at AU...that would be crushing.

Hope you're right. I like to think the Kirby is in over his head, but Georgia has a lot of talent. If he figures it out, they could be formidable. That's the big problem that a lot of our fans can't seem to deal with... our rivals are often among the best teams in the country, so you can never say, pre-season, that they should be a win.

4 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Hope you're right. I like to think the Kirby is in over his head, but Georgia has a lot of talent. If he figures it out, they could be formidable. That's the big problem that a lot of our fans can't seem to deal with... our rivals are often among the best teams in the country, so you can never say, pre-season, that they should be a win.

No doubt about that...but last year at Georgia and with no QB we had a chance to beat them.

I'm considering that this year's AU team with a healthy QB (only an assumption at this point, since the game is late in the season)  AU should be a substantially better team than last season in about every phase of the game.....

Whether you wish, hope, expect, think or whatever.....if AU were to lose to Georgia at Auburn in Nov, such a loss would be considered a disaster. JMO

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

No doubt about that...but last year at Georgia and with no QB we had a chance to beat them.

I'm considering that this year's AU team with a healthy QB (only an assumption at this point, since the game is late in the season)  AU should be a substantially better team than last season in about every phase of the game.....

Whether you wish, hope, expect, think or whatever.....if AU were to lose to Georgia at Auburn in Nov, such a loss would be considered a disaster. JMO

You're right, they sucked last year and we should be formidable this year.  I just hesitate to ever write them off... especially with Chubb and Eason.

• 2 weeks later...

So what your saying is that though we were up 21-3, we shouldn't have won the 2013 championship game. I always thought that if a team is up by 18 or more, they have a great chance of winning. Most winning head coaches never let up when their team is ahead by that much. Now remember I said most head coaches.

1 minute ago, auburn4ever said:

So what your saying is that though we were up 21-3, we shouldn't have won the 2013 championship game. I always thought that if a team is up by 18 or more, they have a great chance of winning. Most winning head coaches never let up when their team is ahead by that much. Now remember I said most head coaches.

Please just shut up. My goodness.

Archived