Stidham: "all of the pieces of the puzzle"

aubiefifty

Jarrett Stidham believes Auburn has 'all of the pieces of the puzzle' this season

Posted on June 16, 2017 at 5:10 PM

3 minutes

The offseason buzz surrounding Auburn this summer is getting louder, and much of that is based on the belief that the Tigers' offense will be much improved under first-year offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey.

While Lindsey is revamping Auburn's scheme and making it more pass-heavy while staying true to the team's run-first identity, the man likely tasked with running that offense appears confident in the Tigers' ability to live up to the hype. Jarrett Stidham hasn't won the starting job yet -- that will be decided in fall camp -- but the former Baylor transfer is widely expected to be Auburn's quarterback this fall, and he is excited about what's in store for the team on that side of the ball.

"We got playmakers everywhere on the field," Stidham told ESPN's Tom Luginbill during a video interview that was published Friday. "I think all of the pieces of the puzzle are there. It's just a matter of time of just getting everybody on the same page."

Auburn returns leading rushers Kamryn Pettway and Kerryon Johnson to form a formidable one-two punch in the backfield, as well as a young but promising group of receivers led by sophomores Darius Slayton, Nate Craig-Myers, Kyle Davis and Eli Stove. Auburn also brings back three starters along the offensive line while also adding a pair of experienced graduate transfers in FSU's Wilson Bell and Jacksonville State's Casey Dunn.

Infuse that with Lindsey's scheme and the excitement brought from April's A-Day showing from that side of the ball, and it's easy to understand Stidham's point of view.

While Stidham impressed on A-Day, earning offensive MVP honors in the process, the 6-foot-2, 214-pounder still has to prove himself against SEC competition if he wins the job as expected. Lindsey said last month that the biggest area Stidham needs to improve in is his ability to read defenses, a sentiment he echoed during his interview with Luginbill.

The biggest area Stidham needs to improve in this offseason

"At Baylor, the offense kind of speaks for itself -- very explosive," Stidham said. "Coming here, it is a little different, having to read defenses a little more."

Still, Stidham remains confident in the offense's ability to improve upon last year's numbers and the defense's prospects of building off of last year's surprising turnaround.

"The ultimate goal is to win the SEC," Stidham said. "Everything after that just takes care of itself."

Watch Stidham's full interview with Luginbill, which also touches on his year away from college football and his relationship with incumbent starting quarterback Sean White, below:

I'm inclined to agree. But the real test will come on the field. Lotta other teams, many in our own division, can say the same. 

• WarTiger changed the title to Stidham: "all of the pieces of the puzzle"

I'm expecting greatness, but if White wins the job we're going undefeated. I think we know what we are with Stidham, so if White beats him... 

The only real concern I have is something that was brought up in another thread: chemistry on the offensive line. The old adage that football games are won in the trenches is absolutely true, and we have a rather tough battle up front in game 2. Now, losing to Clemson wouldn't necessarily derail the season, as it does nothing to SEC standings, but given the way things have gone the last few years it would still be a gut shot.

I'm thinking Stidham needs to get that "reading defenses" thing up to speed and fast. Seems like we had another can't miss QB who had the same issue. Having said that, Stidham looks like the real deal so far.

3 minutes ago, IronMan70 said:

I'm thinking Stidham needs to get that "reading defenses" thing up to speed and fast. Seems like we had another can't miss QB who had the same issue. Having said that, Stidham looks like the real deal so far.

I didn't understand that statement along with what preceded it in the article.

8 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

Jarrett Stidham believes Auburn has 'all of the pieces of the puzzle' this season

Posted on June 16, 2017 at 5:10 PM

3 minutes

The offseason buzz surrounding Auburn this summer is getting louder, and much of that is based on the belief that the Tigers' offense will be much improved under first-year offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey.

While Lindsey is revamping Auburn's scheme and making it more pass-heavy while staying true to the team's run-first identity, the man likely tasked with running that offense appears confident in the Tigers' ability to live up to the hype. Jarrett Stidham hasn't won the starting job yet -- that will be decided in fall camp -- but the former Baylor transfer is widely expected to be Auburn's quarterback this fall, and he is excited about what's in store for the team on that side of the ball.

"We got playmakers everywhere on the field," Stidham told ESPN's Tom Luginbill during a video interview that was published Friday. "I think all of the pieces of the puzzle are there. It's just a matter of time of just getting everybody on the same page."

Auburn returns leading rushers Kamryn Pettway and Kerryon Johnson to form a formidable one-two punch in the backfield, as well as a young but promising group of receivers led by sophomores Darius Slayton, Nate Craig-Myers, Kyle Davis and Eli Stove. Auburn also brings back three starters along the offensive line while also adding a pair of experienced graduate transfers in FSU's Wilson Bell and Jacksonville State's Casey Dunn.

Infuse that with Lindsey's scheme and the excitement brought from April's A-Day showing from that side of the ball, and it's easy to understand Stidham's point of view.

While Stidham impressed on A-Day, earning offensive MVP honors in the process, the 6-foot-2, 214-pounder still has to prove himself against SEC competition if he wins the job as expected. Lindsey said last month that the biggest area Stidham needs to improve in is his ability to read defenses, a sentiment he echoed during his interview with Luginbill.

The biggest area Stidham needs to improve in this offseason

"At Baylor, the offense kind of speaks for itself -- very explosive," Stidham said. "Coming here, it is a little different, having to read defenses a little more."

Still, Stidham remains confident in the offense's ability to improve upon last year's numbers and the defense's prospects of building off of last year's surprising turnaround.

"The ultimate goal is to win the SEC," Stidham said. "Everything after that just takes care of itself."

Watch Stidham's full interview with Luginbill, which also touches on his year away from college football and his relationship with incumbent starting quarterback Sean White, below:

JS is correct we have everything in place to make a big run at a title this year. 

10 hours ago, IronMan70 said:

It's not like it's a big problem.. Can't even compare to JJ. He doesn't throw straight to defenders. Just look at his games at Baylor. Plus like the coaches say he stays in the film room and is his biggest critic so I wouldn't worry about it.

5 hours ago, WFE12 said:

It's not like it's a big problem.. Can't even compare to JJ. He doesn't throw straight to defenders. Just look at his games at Baylor. Plus like the coaches say he stays in the film room and is his biggest critic so I wouldn't worry about.

I doubt JJ threw right to defenders in practice and the coaches were high on him too.

its also been about a year and a half since JS saw real game play. Expecting him to be as sharp to start this season as he was when he started his first game at Baylor, after seeing mop up duty for 3/4's of a season before taking the reigns of a high powered run oriented offense playing only B12 defenses, is reaching as much as the people saying they aren't counting they're chickens, imo. I don't like the JJ comparisons either because too many variables have changed but that doesn't take away the fact that we felt just about as confident in JJ taking over as we do with JS right now. 

15 hours ago, Charhair said:

I doubt JJ threw right to defenders in practice and the coaches were high on him too.

its also been about a year and a half since JS saw real game play. Expecting him to be as sharp to start this season as he was when he started his first game at Baylor, after seeing mop up duty for 3/4's of a season before taking the reigns of a high powered run oriented offense playing only B12 defenses, is reaching as much as the people saying they aren't counting they're chickens, imo. I don't like the JJ comparisons either because too many variables have changed but that doesn't take away the fact that we felt just about as confident in JJ taking over as we do with JS right now. 

I get your point but he has already shown more good than jj ever did big 12 defense or not. There's a chance he won't be sharp to start but he won't be JJ bad. He puts too much work in.

13 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

I get your point but he yas already shown more good than jj ever did big 12 defense or not. He might not be sharp to start but he won't be JJ bad.

Anybody who compares him to JJ is a fool and isn't even worth debating with. Jeremy Johnson and JS situation are insanely different. Been expressed 1000 times already.

And NEWSFLASH, none of our QBs were reading defenses in the past. This includes CN and NM. Like Baylor, they were guided by the sideline. Glad to see CCL factoring that in his offense.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/18/jon-gruden-puts-cam-newton-on-the-spot/ 

6 hours ago, DAG said:

Anybody who compares him to JJ is a fool and isn't even worth debating with. Jeremy Johnson and JS situation are insanely different. Been expressed 1000 times already.

And NEWSFLASH, none of our QBs were reading defenses in the past. This includes CN and NM. Like Baylor, they were guided by the sideline. Glad to see CCL factoring that in his offense.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/18/jon-gruden-puts-cam-newton-on-the-spot/ 

Click on the link and read the comments. Some terrible 'guesses' about how Cam would do in the NFL.

I am thrilled to have JS at Auburn.  Hoping he takes the reigns of the offense and becomes a leader.  But we MUST get some better play out of our wide receivers.  IMO, the WR corps have been awful over the last 3-5 years.  We need KD, NCM, DS and others to have banner seasons over the next 2-3 years to realize our full potential. 

My eyes are going to be on the WR corp early on to gauge how well the offense plays.

10 hours ago, DAG said:

Glad to see CCL factoring that in his offense.

Looking forward to seeing fewer meerkat stares to the sideline and seeing actual QB audibles at the LOS. And less situational substituting and maybe up tempo from the offense keeping the defense in a bad personnel situation.

10 hours ago, DAG said:

We're not comparing the players of JS and JJ. We are comparing the hype surrounding them. You were around preseason-2015, if you don't think the hype surrounding the team (and QB, in general) is very similar to that, then you're a fool and not worth arguing with.

its different because we have new coaches (still have Gus), new offenses (still have Gus), new players and new opponents. It's the same because it's another "next great QB at Auburn, will he be a first round pick this year or come back to auburn??" before the kid has taken a single meaningful snap at QB for AU. 

Based on JJ's play against WKU/Arky, and whoever else he played meaningful minutes against, probably shows that he could have come off the bench at Baylor 75% of the way through the season and had some good games against Ok state and such. 

I'm not saying that JJ and JS are similar on a playing level or even the situation he is in. The hype surrounding them is similar though. I am waiting until this coaching staff shows to me that they can properly develope a QB and put a non-run first QB in the position to have a great year. I believe CCL can do that. I'm 90% sure Gus will let him. 

Coaching aside, we have people on this forum that seem to be uninterested in JG because he won't have enough time at QB before AU but think Stidham is a first round lock this year even though he'll have gone almost 2 full years without playing a game once he takes his first snap at AU. 

Here's what i see on Stidham so far: 3 good games at Baylor, a good high school career, Coaches' words

heres what I saw on JJ before 2015: 2.5 (I believe) good games at AU, a good high school career, Coaches' words.

to say the people saying "I'm gonna wait it out. The situation reminds me too much of JJ." is foolish is very strange to me. 

4 hours ago, Charhair said:

We're not comparing the players of JS and JJ. We are comparing the hype surrounding them. You were around preseason-2015, if you don't think the hype surrounding the team (and QB, in general) is very similar to that, then you're a fool and not worth arguing with.

its different because we have new coaches (still have Gus), new offenses (still have Gus), new players and new opponents. It's the same because it's another "next great QB at Auburn, will he be a first round pick this year or come back to auburn??" before the kid has taken a single meaningful snap at QB for AU. 

Based on JJ's play against WKU/Arky, and whoever else he played meaningful minutes against, probably shows that he could have come off the bench at Baylor 75% of the way through the season and had some good games against Ok state and such. 

I'm not saying that JJ and JS are similar on a playing level or even the situation he is in. The hype surrounding them is similar though. I am waiting until this coaching staff shows to me that they can properly develope a QB and put a non-run first QB in the position to have a great year. I believe CCL can do that. I'm 90% sure Gus will let him. 

Coaching aside, we have people on this forum that seem to be uninterested in JG because he won't have enough time at QB before AU but think Stidham is a first round lock this year even though he'll have gone almost 2 full years without playing a game once he takes his first snap at AU. 

Here's what i see on Stidham so far: 3 good games at Baylor, a good high school career, Coaches' words

heres what I saw on JJ before 2015: 2.5 (I believe) good games at AU, a good high school career, Coaches' words.

to say the people saying "I'm gonna wait it out. The situation reminds me too much of JJ." is foolish is very strange to me. 

JG? Are you serious? The reason people are hardpress about JG is that he is splitting reps at the HIGHSCHOOL level. Analysts are saying he is still a project. How in God's name can you reflect that back to JS, who was a bonafide stud QB in high school? And exceeding expectations as a true freshman in college? I am almost baffled right now at your logic.

Jeremy Johnson played 1 half of good football against Arkansas. JS started against a playoff team in OU, a ranked Oklahoma State team and  Kansas state who is on par with Arkansas, as a TRUE freshman. I don't see how you can remotely assess those situations as being anywhere similar in nature. That is foolish to me. Now, if you want to play the wait and see game, that is totally fine. But to equate JS situation to JJs is way, way off base and inaccurate.

"Based on JJ's play against WKU/Arky, and whoever else he played meaningful minutes against, probably shows that he could have come off the bench at Baylor 75% of the way through the season and had some good games against Ok state and such. "

No, just no. Definitely not as a true freshman. Western Kentucky? Woooow.

BTW, the coaching staff WAS successful with a non-running QB. His name is Sean White.

No, actually the hype around the 2015 team was a lot bigger. National pundits were predicting us to meet tOSU in the NC game. I haven't seen any media personnel say that. I have seen a lot of people say we have the pieces to compete with Alabama (which is true). You also had the media and our HC pretty much handing JJ an invitation to the Heisman ceremony.   Not the case for Stidham, although people have talked about him being a part of the discussion IF he produces like he did at Baylor.  Absolutely nothing wrong with that assumption. Stidham himself has been very humble in this process.

The bottom line, if you are good, you are going to get hyped. Only at AU are we afraid of such expectations. The 2015 team had more than enough talent. They failed expectations horribly. The media is not to blame for that. The fans are not to blame for that. If we produce this year and somehow can bring in Fields and JG, expectations will go higher, as they should. Time to actually respond to expectations and pressure, starting with the HC.

7 hours ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Click on the link and read the comments. Some terrible 'guesses' about how Cam would do in the NFL.

Yeah, they were pretty funny.

48 minutes ago, DAG said:

JG? Are you serious? The reason people are hardpress about JG is that he is splitting reps at the HIGHSCHOOL level. Analysts are saying he is still a project. How in God's name can you reflect that back to JS, who was a bonafide stud QB in high school? And exceeding expectations as a true freshman in college? I am almost baffled right now at your logic.

Jeremy Johnson played 1 half of good football against Arkansas. JS started against a playoff team in OU, a ranked Oklahoma State team and  Kansas state who is on par with Arkansas, as a TRUE freshman. I don't see how you can remotely assess those situations as being anywhere similar in nature. That is foolish to me. Now, if you want to play the wait and see game, that is totally fine. But to equate JS situation to JJs is way, way off base and inaccurate.

"Based on JJ's play against WKU/Arky, and whoever else he played meaningful minutes against, probably shows that he could have come off the bench at Baylor 75% of the way through the season and had some good games against Ok state and such. "

No, just no. Definitely not as a true freshman. Western Kentucky? Woooow.

BTW, the coaching staff WAS successful with a non-running QB. His name is Sean White.

You can compare the two careers of JJ and JS because that's all we have to compare. The comparison is that: JS is a highly touted QB who was great in high school (JJ was Mr. Alabama football)  and limited time in college (250 yards and 2 TDs in JJ's first sec start). JS has a more impressive resume but comes to Auburn generating a lot of hype. JJ had the same sort of hype pre-2015. It doesn't mean the games JJ started were on the same magnitude as those JS played at Baylor, it just means that they both produced the same sort of results (in our eyes, regarding AU's future) at their respective times. 

If we hadn't gotten JS this year and we instead got a 6'4 230lb QB who had played 2 seasons at another major school were he had lit up both cupcakes he started against his freshman year and he played and threw for 250 yards and 2 TDs in the first half against the one SEC team he started against, our fanbase would probably be pretty happy about how our future looked. Seeing any comparisons? Maybe not quite as happy as they are about JS but I bet it would be up there.

"No, just no. Definitely not as a true freshman. Western Kentucky? Woooow."

Great arguement! Anyway, doesn't change the fact JJ still looked like a stud his freshman and sophomore year. Which is why we saw all of the hype. JJ also played significantly against FAU his freshman year, can't remember if he started though. 

You're convinced (and/or whoever else is) JS will be a stud at Auburn because of 3 games against teams from a conference whose defensive play has been the laughing stock of the country for 5-7 years, high school film and what some analyst/coaches have said. 

Sounds almost identical to the hype surrounding JJ in 2015. 

"BTW, the coaching staff WAS successful with a non-running QB. His name is Sean White."

i never said they weren't successful with a non-running QB. They were until he got sidelined with injuries. Both times. I said I'm waiting on the staff to show me they can put a non-running QB in "the position to have a great year".  Sean White threw for less than 1700 yards and less than 10 TDs. If the offense can't protect the QB, we'll never give a non-running QB the chance to have a good year. 

On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 3:06 PM, IronMan70 said:

23 hours ago, WFE12 said:

It's not like it's a big problem.. Can't even compare to JJ. He doesn't throw straight to defenders. Just look at his games at Baylor. Plus like the coaches say he stays in the film room and is his biggest critic so I wouldn't worry about it.

Oh I'm not. That's why I said JS looks like the real deal.

1 minute ago, Charhair said:

You can compare the two careers of JJ and JS because that's all we have to compare. The comparison is that: JS is a highly touted QB who was great in high school (JJ was Mr. Alabama football)  and limited time in college (250 yards and 2 TDs in JJ's first sec start). JS has a more impressive resume but comes to Auburn generating a lot of hype. JJ had the same sort of hype pre-2015. It doesn't mean the games JJ started were on the same magnitude as those JS played at Baylor, it just means that they both produced the same sort of results (in our eyes, regarding AU's future) at their respective times. 

If we hadn't gotten JS this year and we instead got a 6'4 230lb QB who had played 2 seasons at another major school were he had lit up both cupcakes he started against his freshman year and he played and threw for 250 yards and 2 TDs in the first half against the one SEC team he started against, our fanbase would probably be pretty happy about how our future looked. Seeing any comparisons? Maybe not quite as happy as they are about JS but I bet it would be up there.

"No, just no. Definitely not as a true freshman. Western Kentucky? Woooow."

Great arguement! Anyway, doesn't change the fact JJ still looked like a stud his freshman and sophomore year. Which is why we saw all of the hype. JJ also played significantly against FAU his freshman year, can't remember if he started though. 

You're convinced (and/or whoever else is) JS will be a stud at Auburn because of 3 games against teams from a conference whose defensive play has been the laughing stock of the country for 5-7 years, high school film and what some analyst/coaches have said. 

Sounds almost identical to the hype surrounding JJ in 2015. 

"BTW, the coaching staff WAS successful with a non-running QB. His name is Sean White."

i never said they weren't successful with a non-running QB. They were until he got sidelined with injuries. Both times. I said I'm waiting on the staff to show me they can put a non-running QB in "the position to have a great year".  Sean White threw for less than 1700 yards and less than 10 TDs. If the offense can't protect the QB, we'll never give a non-running QB the chance to have a good year. 

Umm OU whooped us pretty bad last year.  They would've destroyed us in 2015 too. Stop it. You sound silly. Or did you forget we went into OT against Jacksonville State University in 2015? What conference did they play in? You want to discredit what JS did at his previous institution to try to make a bizarre point, which is pretty pathetic in my eyes.

So your argument is since JJ looked like a stud against WKU, FAU and 1 half against Arkansas, it is a valid comparison to the potential of JS, who faced way better competition in his limited time period? SMH

Great arguement!

What argument? There was nothing to go off of. You made some idiotic scenario, which can't be validated one way or another.

Sean White threw for less than 1700 yards and less than 10 TDs

Oh, so you just want stats? I don't give a crap about high octane stats. SW was very efficient and the team was winning football games. I pray that JS is just as efficient as SW was before he got hurt. If so, the team will be in great hands because, at the end of the day, the only thing that matters for me is Wins and Losses. Having a QB to throw for over 3000 yards is just an added plus, not a necessity.

No, I am convinced JS can be a stud because he was a beast in high school. He handled adversity well as a true freshman against QUALITY COMPETITION, stepping in and exceeding expectations. He has come to AU humbled and willing to grow as a QB, knowing he has things he has to work on and he is very talented.

Ok, So?

Nope. Because the context isn't the same as JS. Let me help you with this. In this goofy scenario you just made up, you mentioned that this dude lit up cupcakes. GOOD. If you have earned a scholarship playing for a power 5 D1 school, you should be able to light up the Western Kentucky and FAUs of the world, off of talent alone. Point blank, period. I expect you to at the very least have a quality game against them.  Furthermore, who is the SEC team he played against? Was he lighting up Florida or was he lighting up Missouri? Makes a huge difference. Now, let's get back to reality. JS did not start against cupcakes his freshman year. He played against OU (a playoff team), OSU (A quality team) and KSU (An average team).  Personally, I think he exceeded expectations in those games. I also think he would've kept growing as the season went along if he had not got injured and Baylor's outlook would've been very different. Either way, I am damn happy he is here and I expect him to live up to the expectations set forth for him and this team this upcoming season.

I have wasted way too much time with this.

Stidham went to a developmental camp earlier this month in Cali. Any word how that went?  Seems his potential and hype are pretty well debated.  I am just happy we can have such a debate (ie: stidham chose Auburn over Tamu). 

On 6/22/2017 at 5:28 PM, Beaker said:

Stidham went to a developmental camp earlier this month in Cali. Any word how that went?  Seems his potential and hype are pretty well debated.  I am just happy we can have such a debate (ie: stidham chose Auburn over Tamu). 

I heard that after the first full day of drills they turned the camp over to Stidham. The other QBs said it was the best camp they had ever been to. 3 of them are now committed to AU so they can learn more from Stidham. But my source has been wrong before so TIFWIW. 

On 6/22/2017 at 4:28 PM, Beaker said:

I think Tamu made it easy for him. 

Archived