Jarrett Stidham Film Study

WFE12

I'm okay with this.  In a few of the plays, he didn't HAVE to make any second reads.  Couple that with the fact it was a SPRING GAME (vanilla offense) with a guy that has only been with the team 3-5 months.  Also, with Oklahoma, he was a true freshman (although an early enrollee) and still stepped up to the plate and played admirably.

What was the point of the Cam Newton insert?  All the examples weren't even read plays.  It was a pump and go to the primary receiver.  If he's saying Stidham will be in the same gameplan as Cam, I ain't mad at all.

Not much weight in this for me.

@AuburnTiger4Life What? No respect for the better defenses we'll face including Alabama, Clemson, and possibly LSU?

I didnt mean the seasons over by any means but if it truly is a one read and run for our QB then i am concerned about Stidhams health for the season.

1 hour ago, MCPeePants said:

I'm okay with this.  In a few of the plays, he didn't HAVE to make any second reads.  Couple that with the fact it was a SPRING GAME (vanilla offense) with a guy that has only been with the team 3-5 months.  Also, with Oklahoma, he was a true freshman (although an early enrollee) and still stepped up to the plate and played admirably.

What was the point of the Cam Newton insert?  All the examples weren't even read plays.  It was a pump and go to the primary receiver.  If he's saying Stidham will be in the same gameplan as Cam, I ain't mad at all.

Not much weight in this for me.

You make too much sense

95% of college QB's are one read guys for the most part. All those plays from the spring game were pretty much pre snap reads. If he can identify the single coverage once the play starts, I'm not worried. I think this guy is being pretty disingenuous labeling a sophomore QB as a one read QB before his second season even starts. Now that we know this dude knows a little about offensive football, he can have a nice day somewhere else!

If he has one read, and a check down, I'm good with that. 

16 minutes ago, AU Is Gold said:

Wait, I thought if the receiver is open you throw the ball to him. 

Yep, I am much more interested in the fact that Stidham has a fairly quick release, and can hit a receiver in stride 40 yards down the field. This guy reminds me of a guy that read a book on Freud, and thinks he's a psychologist. 

Gus' offense has been a one route, quick hit offense from the beginning.  It has nothing to do with what QB is running the offense.  In 2015, when Duke was having his issues, he would not run a route if he knew he wasn't the primary receiver.  SEC defenses have figured this out and is one of the reasons the "good" defenses are so affective against Auburn's offense.

This offense is a run first offense and if the running game is clicking, the one route, quick hit pass will work just fine.  If the run game is not on and this offense has to rely on that quick his, one route offense, Auburn, historically, has been in trouble.  With the new OC and a QB that can make all the throws, I hope we see an offense that can work even though the run game may not be hitting on all cylinders.

15 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

With the new OC and a QB that can make all the throws, I hope we see an offense that can work even though the run game may not be hitting on all cylinders.

Perhaps Al "Gorgeous" Borges can provide some valuable input here.  

First, who is the guy doing the film breakdown? Second, if the first read is open, you throw it there every time. Third, anything from him at Baylor was him as a true freshman. It's possible for him to have not had enough time to develop this part of his game at that point in his career. And it's possible that he's learned to progress through reads by now. Fourth, a lot of this offense is designed on creating and revealing pre-snap matchups so the QB knows where to go with the ball and get it out very quickly. A lot of Briles' and Malzahn's ofense is designed this way. Fifth, the film breaker downer is dead wrong on Stidham's second throw. He's looking off a safety before throwing to NCM on the 9 route. If you watch closely (or on a better quality video than this jackal posted) you can see Stidham turn his head slightly before he delivers the throw. Still one read, but he manipulates the defense to make that read right. Not one thing wrong with that type of QB play. Sixth, in the fourth play he diagnoses, he shows Stidham going through a progression. He looks off quickly to the right then back to the center and checks the shallow cross (I think that's where he initially wants to go). Hastings isn't open so he goes to his second read and completes it. Seventh, not really sure what he's trying to prove with the Cam pump fake clips.

The videographer's analysis of trying to take away the initial or primary read is solid as it's what every defense in the country tries to do. I don'think that's a novel concept. The offenses Stidham has played in do a great job, for the most part, of forcing defenses to declare pre-snap and allowing him to have a very good idea where the ball needs to go after the snap. I believe Lindsey's passing schemes bring the ability to have 2-3 reads and a check down in the passing game and not always being a one read play. And I think Stidham will be just fine handling that role. 

Who gave A4E the illustrator? Seriously, this guy is out of his depth, IMO. For example,  "These are extremely basic offenses"...that avg 40pts(BU).  "He doesnt read through progressions"...except the clip at 5:10, when he throws a check down, or when he looks off a defender then comes back to his primary.  "This offense is based of quick hitters"...except its more about overloads, isolation, mismatches, and play action deep routes.   

Sorry I stopped watching after 30 seconds. Guys "film study" is pretty dumb imo. Vanilla offense and WRs were open lol. Majority of passing plays you want the QB looking down field THEN if no ones open check down or tuck and run. Not worried at all.

9 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Who gave A4E the illustrator? Seriously, this guy is out of his depth, IMO. For example,  "These are extremely basic offenses"...that avg 40pts(BU).  "He doesnt read through progressions"...except the clip at 5:10, when he throws to the check down, or when looks off a defender then comes back to his primary.  "This offense is based of quick hitters"...except its more about overloads, isolation, mismatches, and play action deep routes.   

It's been a while since something got me worked up like this video did. It's a rambling contradiction almost the entire time. I get the point he's trying to make, but he did it so poorly that it's laughable.

I feel like this dude had a bone to pick with HUNH spread offenses/Gus/Briles lol. 

I would've had a better chance of buying what he was selling if he had shown JS (or Cam for that matter) forcing the first read instead of showing screens LOL

1 hour ago, I_M4_AU said:

In 2015, when Duke was having his issues, he would not run a route if he knew he wasn't the primary receiver.  SEC defenses have figured this out and is one of the reasons the "good" defenses are so affective against Auburn's offense.

This was definitely an issue. There were also other players that year just lollygagging on pass plays that were not on their side, as in not even running their route :o

Regarding the video:

I feel like this dude had a bone to pick with HUNH spread offenses/Gus/Briles lol. I would've had a better chance of buying what he was selling if he had shown JS (or Cam for that matter) forcing the first read instead of showing screens LOL

Who is Jake Wimberly?

I'm sorry, but this guy has no idea what he is talking about. Couldn't get past the first minute. "Not a progression quarterback." "Quick hitters." "Just like Nick Marshall." 

13 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Who is Jake Wimberly?

I'm sorry, but this guy has no idea what he is talking about. Couldn't get past the first minute. "Not a progression quarterback." "Quick hitters." "Just like Nick Marshall." 

Ahh, looky here:  http://gridironnow.com/author/jake-wimberly/

A Miss State grad and football blogger.  I guess that's the reason for the Cam Newton reference.  Some people's butt hurt lasts a long time.

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

Who gave A4E the illustrator? Seriously, this guy is out of his depth, IMO. For example,  "These are extremely basic offenses"...that avg 40pts(BU).  "He doesnt read through progressions"...except the clip at 5:10, when he throws a check down, or when he looks off a defender then comes back to his primary.  "This offense is based of quick hitters"...except its more about overloads, isolation, mismatches, and play action deep routes.   

Yep. The guy was OBVIOUSLY biased. He was criticizing JS for running the offense effectively!  And ignoring anything that didn't prove his ridiculously flimsy argument anyway. The Cam clip was so irrelevant it wasn't even funny. Not the same offense!  And Cam regressed in the NFL?!?!?!?  Why was he league MVP and took his team to the Super Bowl?!?!?!

Pure garbage!  Was that Pondscum disguising his voice?

Spread offenses are at its core based on alignment and making a read of the defense off of that alignment.  Generally speaking there will be a couple options in the throwing game based off the defensive alignment.  First read, then second read...  if neither are open take off running.  It's to keep from getting behind the chains so you can stay at pace and with the run game and the quick passes.  

The PAtriots are a spread offense that dinks and dunks much like a run game until they get the safeties flying down hill.  Then they go over the top.  Same with our power inside run game then over the top.  

We aren't asking our QBs to make 4-5 reads.  2 reads and if they aren't there take off.  

I think the analyzer needs to decide if he doesn't think Stidham can go through progressions because he doesn't have the ability or if the offensive design doesn't call for or allow it. Saying a kid can't do something that's he's potentially never been asked to do is a big conclusion for an "analyst" to make. 

Archived