Softball fall games

Fall ball probably a good time to experiment with player positioning and changes of style. 

Thanks Slot for your observations.

And Coach Dean, not knowing the personnel at all, would naturally want to experiment more with position switches.  That may also lead to lower scoring by Auburn, as players get fewer looks at the opposing pitchers.  The past fall or two, seems like we won these games 9-0, 15-0, and scores like that.  Probably get more out of it this way. 

7 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

And Coach Dean, not knowing the personnel at all, would naturally want to experiment more with position switches.  That may also lead to lower scoring by Auburn, as players get fewer looks at the opposing pitchers.  The past fall or two, seems like we won these games 9-0, 15-0, and scores like that.  Probably get more out of it this way. 

And seems more new players with a chance to work their way into the line up this coming season.   CCM had a pretty set line-up and pitching staff entering last season.....but looks like a lot of new faces this year.  Glad MD was able to keep the good recruiting class that was signed by AU.

And finally the softball website has posted an article on yesterday's games.  Very minimal information, apparently by design.

AUBURN, Ala. – The Auburn softball team earned its third and fourth victories of the weekend in back-to-back contests against Valdosta State and Snead State Saturday night. The Tigers wrapped up a perfect 4-0 weekend at Jane B. Moore Field.

“We pitched well as a staff,” head coach Mickey Dean said. “We had 23 strikeouts in 14 innings pitched. I thought the offensive standouts for the night were Courtney Shea and KK Crocker, who both had a good night.

“As a team, we put together some really good at-bats and had a lot of runners on base.”

Shea rattled off hits from the left side of the plate, while Crocker scorched a triple. Alyssa Rivera continued her strong fall with another home run.

Here's a 2-week old article I hadn't seen previously.  Among other things, says Dean plans to let pitchers hit according to their abilities.  http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2017/10/freshman_pitcher_chardonnay_ha.html#incart_river_index

Free ITAT article at https://scout.com/college/auburn/Article/Auburn-Softball-Pitcher-Showing-Progress-as-Tigers-Head-Into-Fin-109576475

talks about Swindle increasing her velocity (up to 66), among other things.  Another article at tigerland,com focused on McCracken competing for the third base job, as well as second.  Also mentioned increased emphasis on hitting the long ball from Glassco.

Happened to tune in to WEGL this aft. for a few innings of the final fall game against Columbus State.  I made some sketchy notes.  The score after 5 innings was 17-0.  Auburn took the field for the top of the 6th, and I went to the store for milk.  When I got back the game was over, so I'm guessing they called it after 5 1/2.

When I tuned in, it was top 3, Auburn led 6-0, and Carlson was pitching.  The Auburn lineup was

Draper cf

Crocker dp

Rivera rf

McCrackin ss

Shea c

Perry 1b

Olszweski lf

Dowell 2b

Nutt 3b

Auburn failed to score in the 3d, but pushed 7 across in the 4th, helped by a 3-run error in center field.  Columbus had 5 errors on the day, plus a couple of hit batters.  I didn't take good notes as to who had hits, but Shea, Crocker, and Perry all had RBIs.  Shea hit a foul that narrowly missed being a homer, per the announcer.  In top 5, Harris took the circle, with Tissier behind the plate.  Dakota Morrow came in at first, with Fornis in center and Maresette in rf.  The latter let a ball get past her, but relayed to Crocker, who threw out the runner trying to make third.

In bot 5, Morrow had a 2-run double, and Gutierrez had a hit as the Tigers scored 4 more.  Swindle came to the plate, as did McKayla Martin earlier in the day.  Auburn won the first game 9-0 over Central Alabama.  

I failed to mention that we ran a successful double steal at one point - I think it was Olszewski and Dowell.  Five stolen bases total in the two games.

I tuned in at top of 5th inning during game 1.  .  I know Martin pitched no hitter through 4th but I do not know who was catching.  Veach  was not in batting order for the remainder of game so I do not know if she played during first 4 innings.  Also never heard mention of either of the Snow sisters.  In 5th inning of 1st game Swindle pitched with Tissier behind the plate.  It was Bilodeau/Tissier in 7th inning with AU winning 9-0.  

Second Game (Columbus State) it was Carlson/Shea then Harris/Tissier taking over in 5th.  At the end of 5th inning score was 13-0.  They continued to play and I lost count of the final score but AU had several more runs.  I believe Columbus had about 5 errors.  

Just checked and there is a summary article on the Auburn Athletics site.

Here's a nice write-up from yesterday, with better notes than I took: http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2017/10/auburn_softball_closes_fall_wi.html#incart_river_index

I think that's from the Mobile Register.  I see I didn't give enough credit to Olszweski.

Like seeing the strikeouts up for our pitchers, but these batters were not the kind we will see in the spring or SEC.  Not taking aware from our pitchers, just putting some reality for those who did not see the game.  Our pitchers put it where it needed to be to get some swings and misses.

Ealry in first game, our bats were literally and figuratively cold.  Took about the 3rd or 4th inning to get any decent contact.  But after that, was pretty decent.  I think this team will have a lot of depth across the board.

As mentioned earlier, did not see either Snow sister play and Veach was not in uniform (she coached 1st base both games).  Does anyone know if she (Veach) has an injury (possible right knee??) as she seemed to be favoring right leg a bit walking to and from coaches box?

It looks like Hunter Veach is not being retained.  He helped with the transition during the fall season.  I wish him the best of luck and hope he lands at a good program.  

23 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Draper cf

Crocker dp

Rivera rf

McCrackin ss

Shea c

Perry 1b

Olszweski lf

Dowell 2b

Nutt 3b

McCrackin clean up?  Has she shown that much power?  I read an article where she favored the new approach to hitting along with showing some power in the post season last year.

4 hours ago, around4ever said:

It looks like Hunter Veach is not being retained.  He helped with the transition during the fall season.  I wish him the best of luck and hope he lands at a good program.  

Not surprising.  I wish him all the best as well.   I hope he learned a lot in his time as an assistant, both on and off the field.

9 hours ago, GBAU83 said:

As mentioned earlier, did not see either Snow sister play and Veach was not in uniform (she coached 1st base both games).  Does anyone know if she (Veach) has an injury (possible right knee??) as she seemed to be favoring right leg a bit walking to and from coaches box?

Veach will be out until Spring, but should (hopefully) be ready to go by then. Under old coaching staff, she was slated to be the starting catcher unless a player new to the team was brought in. Not sure how the new staff views the situation, but hoping she'll be back and have an opportunity to make a difference come Spring.

13 hours ago, AUBwins said:

McCrackin clean up?  Has she shown that much power?  I read an article where she favored the new approach to hitting along with showing some power in the post season last year.

I was kinda surprised by that, too; but maybe she's developing.  She had 4 homers last year, mostly late.  I recall one against Miss. St. and two in the postseason.  The latest photo I saw of her looked like she might have put on a little weight, also; perhaps deliberate.  I don't think she's homered this fall, but had a triple, I think this past weekend.

It seemed to me that we hit more homers last year in fall ball, so I checked the news release.  In the first two games last year, we hit 8 homers and our pitchers struck out 25.

11 hours ago, uncommonfan said:

Veach will be out until Spring, but should (hopefully) be ready to go by then. Under old coaching staff, she was slated to be the starting catcher unless a player new to the team was brought in. Not sure how the new staff views the situation, but hoping she'll be back and have an opportunity to make a difference come Spring.

Yep.....the number of injuries mentioned over the fall has been worrying.....hoping all of them are minor enough that by Feb the ladies are back to good health. 

On 10/30/2017 at 5:08 PM, around4ever said:

23 hours ago, saminbama said:

Not surprising.  I wish him all the best as well.   I hope he learned a lot in his time as an assistant, both on and off the field.

Headed to Samford.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived