Hanging On is not good enough

AURex

The thing that stood out to me the most in Malzahn's post game presser after the LSU loss was his comment the "we just couldn't hang on." I've been running this through my head, trying to make sense of it, because I've been a Mahlzan supporter.

I don't want to hear about hanging on. After halftime, you go for the jugular. I don't care if you are up by 20 or down by 20, you go for the jugular.

If you play "not to lose" (which is what anyone means by "couldn't hang on") you are playing loser ball. I hate to bring the turds into play, but has anyone ever heard of them playing "not to lose"? No. You play as if the 2nd half is Zero to Zero. You play offense to exploit their defense. You tear them apart. You do NOT play not to lose.

Yes, there were plenty of mistakes made by Auburn defensive and offensive players in the second half. But the real problem was play calling and the underlying strategy was Malzahn's  "let's just run the ball and hang on" strategy. The reason we don't hear from Lindsey or other coordinators is because Malzahn once again stuck his nose into the game plan.

I'm being optimistic in thinking that Lindsey would have pushed for a real offense in the second half.

I've been a long-time supporter of Malzahn. No more. Fire him now. Put Steele in as interim, let Lindsey go wild with the offense.

Gus try’s to hang on vs stabbing the bear in the head . Man he pisses me off. he Just can’t coach 4 quarters . Most any other sec coach wins that game by ten atleast 

This is just my rationalization of why Gus or whoever was calling the plays were thinking.   When it got to the fourth quarter and the score was the same,  they believed that LSU would not score an offensive touchdown in the fourth quarter.   Then the punt return happened and all momentum was gone.    

I would love to see Auburn go into a game and throw the ball 50 times no matter the score.  Start working on the passing game because that is what it will take to beat GA and bama 

"And I don't want to get any messages that say, "We are holding our position."  The only thing we are going to hold onto is to the enemy.  We are going to hold onto him by the nose and kick him in the a$$.  We are gonna run through him like crap through a goose!"  

-Patton

Gus is fundamentally changing the Auburn program:  we beat who we are supposed to and we want to just compete in tough games.  If we lose, "it's not the end of the world."  

I thought Terry Bowden got fired for going 8-4...Gus is averaging 2.5 points in the second half of his last 6 losses.   We are just "holding on".  

44 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Gus is fundamentally changing the Auburn program:  we beat who we are supposed to and we want to just compete in tough games.  If we lose, "it's not the end of the world."  

What worries me is how much of our fan base is willing to accept this as normal...

Good post AURex. I always have said..if I was a coach I would always play aggressively . If you do lose at least you went out swinging..

I still think of those two missed opportunites against Clemson. There we are in the red zone twice and Gus  wusses out with field goals... got a stinking delay of game on a 3rd and 3..if I remember and had to kick the field goal...I mean just run a play. It's only flipping 3 points

The momentum was gone just before the end of the first half and nothing was done to get it back

I don't have the desire to rewatch the game, so I don't remember when it occurred, but Stidham did throw an intermediate pass. Hastings crossing, out in the flat, WIDE open. The ball was on the money. Hastings dropped it. I think he got eager eyes and looked away from the ball to see how much running room he had. Well, it would have been a good gain. I don't remember Auburn returning to that play again, but my memory may have failed.

You know that when a team goes in down at half their coach is not saying” look guys we’ve already loss so just throw in the towel and maybe they will have mercy on us”. No he is ranting and raving and questioning their manhood . He is lighting their wick. The opposing coach needs to tell his guys” hey they are over their planning on kicking your butt when you come back out. So you better go out their prepared to finish this feat”. First two posessions need to be with the best you got. Then if you are successful they might quit. Until you see the white flag assume them still to be fighting.

There was also a corner route by Hastings where he was wide open inside the 10 in the first half and JS over threw him by a mile.   Had to settle on a field goal that possession 

23 hours ago, alexava said:

You can go conservative without abandoning logic. We abandoned logic Saturday. 

I do agree with this on occasion....but...Take the Clemson game we had not won a against them since 2010 ....we are in their house and they are the national champs...you've GOT to play aggressive. Throw conservative notions out the window. 

Now if the roles were reversed then you could call a more conservative game ....maybe

2 hours ago, CountStandya said:

I do agree with this on occasion....but...Take the Clemson game we had not won a against them since 2010 ....we are in their house and they are the national champs...you've GOT to play aggressive. Throw conservative notions out the window. 

Now if the roles were reversed then you could call a more conservative game ....maybe

I think the Clemson game plan was(not defending it) conservative because Gus thought our only chance was to not turn it over hold them to minimal points and get a big play or two to win a 13-10 type of game. He knew from practice we weren't ready for the big time. By this LSU game we had proven what we could do and did it very well in the first half. there was no reason to stop beating the hell out of them. if we had stayed up like 20-0, i understand going run heavy and protecting the ball. but 23-14 is not 20-0. you gotta get up 3 scores. And the passes we did throw were not safe or high percentage. 

On 10/18/2017 at 9:18 PM, Beaker said:

"And I don't want to get any messages that say, "We are holding our position."  The only thing we are going to hold onto is to the enemy.  We are going to hold onto him by the nose and kick him in the a$$.  We are gonna run through him like crap through a goose!"  

-Patton

I thought Terry Bowden got fired for going 8-4...Gus is averaging 2.5 points in the second half of his last 6 losses.   We are just "holding on".  

10 hours ago, FullBloodedTiger91 said:

Absolutely embarrassing....no abysmal.      

We should never be playing to hang on or not to lose. We should be playing pedal to the metal every second of the game until the clock says 00:00. So the "we just couldn't hang on" comment annoyed me too.

Up until the LSU game I was supporting Malzahn. He must’ve taken control of the offense after the first or second quarter. He HAD to have. He is the reason we have lost these games... we’ve collapsed far too many times in the second half because we get too conservative. I want him gone. I wish to keep our offensive scheme (Lindsey’s, NOT Gus’) and obviously keep Steele. 

13 hours ago, alexava said:

I think the Clemson game plan was(not defending it) conservative because Gus thought our only chance was to not turn it over hold them to minimal points and get a big play or two to win a 13-10 type of game. He knew from practice we weren't ready for the big time. By this LSU game we had proven what we could do and did it very well in the first half. there was no reason to stop beating the hell out of them. if we had stayed up like 20-0, i understand going run heavy and protecting the ball. but 23-14 is not 20-0. you gotta get up 3 scores. And the passes we did throw were not safe or high percentage. 

Those are baffling plans for a coach that climbed the offensive coaching ladder.  They are even more baffling for a coach who's core philosophy (in his book) is predicated upon using relentless tempo to wear out the opposing defense.  Coming into the season, my biggest problems with Gus' tenure were consistent red zone struggles and his penchant for long-developing plays that get eaten alive by decent defenses.  Both of those have continued, but now I have to add harnessing his inner Tuberville to that list.

Of all the games on the schedule that I expected to see the offense continue attacking aggressively, I expected that to be LSU.  He had coached Auburn (as OC or head coach) four times in Baton Rouge coming into that game, and had lost every one of them, badly.  I expected that Gus would not feel comfortable enough to just run out the clock until the scoreboard showed something like 42-7.

Archived