Jarrett Stidham in the pocket

Barnacle

Jarrett Stidham is the best quarterback in the SEC, and one of the best quarterbacks in the country. Earlier this week, Kirby Smart called him the most improved player in the SEC from the start of the season to now. His biggest area of improvement? Navigating the pass rush. Through the LSU game Auburn gave up 22 sacks. Since LSU, Auburn has given up only 5, and only 3 between Georgia and Alabama. Granted, Stidham's 11 sacks against Clemson were not entirely his fault. We were starting a Sophomore at LT who only began learning the position two years prior, and we've since found continuity on the line. Still, early in the season Stidham showed a reluctance to step up in the pocket and a tendency to bail on pass plays, resulting in both sacks and missed opportunities down the field. Against Georgia and Alabama, Stidham showed exactly why he is the most improved player in the SEC. Aside from protecting the ball through the air,  Stidham is correctly throwing the ball away and showing remarkable poise against the pass rush, turning a few certain losses into gains or no loss at all. In other cases, he's shown a willingness to hang tough and make a big throw, even in the face of pressure. 

The scary thing is, as well as Stidham played against Georgia three weeks ago, he played even better last week against Alabama. We were the best team Georgia had faced all season long in our first meeting. We will once again be the best team Georgia has played this weekend.

yr9k3z.gif

pQkV0X.gif

N9Y14N.gif

He has definitely improved throughout the year with his best performance coming in the last game.  I think a big part of helping Stidham is avoiding third and long. If you look at the clips above ya of them are third and long. With the problems our receivers tend to have getting open quickly, avoiding third and long is key. He has improved vastly in that area as well however. 

2 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

That throw to NCM was probably his best throw this year imo. Thought it was gonna assuredly be a sack or pick

Think I would say the fade to slayton for a td, forgot who it was against.

He makes at least 1-2 throws a game that really impress me. He has the arm talent to make all the throws, and his progression in the offense is becoming increasingly evident.

9 minutes ago, alexava said:

Had two very catchable deep balls to slayton last week. Like to see a different wr get some of those shots. 

Wasn’t he basically pulled down by the dB on both of those? Maybe I’m thinking of other throws

24 minutes ago, BJCrawford said:

Wasn’t he basically pulled down by the dB on both of those? Maybe I’m thinking of other throws

Definitely interfered with on one. Maybe could have fought through it. Don't recall anything egregious on the other. 

Love what Studham is doing right now. The prince who was promised. Agree with the observation that his pocket presence is his most significant/noticeable improvement. I hate to be cliche, but the game seems to be slowing down for him. Very very good stuff. 

The one that we got a penalty on for 12 on field by defense, I thought he was tackled and easily interfered with. But commentators didn’t talk about it. The other was less obvious but I think his arm was held down. This is the one he slowed down a step probably to get separated more. I am not so much criticizing slayton. Those are low percentage balls. I just think other wr could sneak open deep because they have all gone to 81 so far. 

Both the offensive line and Stidham have got noticeably better at handling the blitz. I think pass protection has improved tremendously and that is making all the difference in the world.

On 11/30/2017 at 8:57 AM, BJCrawford said:

No; I believe you are thinking of the correct throws.

If he keep improving weekly, he may be the MVP of the superbowl in Feb.   Seriously, he has really changed his game to compete and start to dominate in the SEC.   Crazy happy for him and us.

Archived