Where the 3 freshmen RB's fit into the offense

WFE12

Where Harold Joiner, Asa Martin, Shaun Shivers fit in Auburn’s offensive plans

AUBURN, Ala. — When Harold Joiner committed to play for Auburn football last weekend, an already crowded Tigers running backs room had to make room for one more.

Even though Auburn lost Kerryon Johnson and Kamryn Pettway early to the 2018 NFL Draft, Auburn is set to have seven running backs on its roster this upcoming season:

1. Kam Martin
  2. Malik Miller
  3. Devan Barrett
  4. JaTarvious Whitlow
  5. Asa Martin
  6. Shaun Shivers
  7. Harold Joiner

Judging by Auburn’s use of running backs under Gus Malzahn, it’s safe to say the Tigers won’t use all of them in a rotation in 2018.

During Malzahn’s tenures as offensive coordinator and coach, Auburn has regularly used no more than four scholarship running backs in a given season. Most of the time, the fourth comes into the picture because of an injury higher on the depth chart. Auburn likes to play fast with a tight rotation at running back.

So what will that mean for Auburn’s numbers in 2018?

MORE: Auburn reportedly set to hire Buffalo AD Allen Greene to same position

Redshirts are possible for the trio of incoming freshmen, but Asa Martin, Shivers and Joiner will get their chances to contribute right away with what they show in the preseason. As for transfers, there hasn’t been much talk of any since Martin squashed those rumors after the Peach Bowl. Things can change quickly, though, especially if certain backs separate themselves in spring practices.

Auburn has already given traditional running back reps, either in games or in practice, to Kam Martin, Miller, Barrett and Whitlow. None of them seem like candidates to change positions. Whitlow already moved from wide receiver to running back in the preseason because the coaching staff liked his potential there.

That being said, two of Auburn’s incoming backs could have long-term futures in different roles than standard rushers.

Asa Martin-Auburn football-Auburn Tigers-Auburn
Auburn running back commit Asa Martin participated in Peach Bowl practices. (Benjamin Wolk/SEC Country)

Asa Martin fits the bill as a potential all-around back for the future. Malzahn compared him to Kerryon Johnson on the early signing day in December, and he’ll enroll early with a chance to fight for the starting running back job.

“He’s very good running the football. He’s got great quickness, he’s strong, he protects,” Malzahn said. “He was a very good protector in high school, which is rare. … And he catches the football out of the backfield like a wide receiver. So I think he’s going to give coach [Chip] Lindsey a lot of flexibility. He’s here early and he’s got a very good skill set, so he’ll be in the mix.”

Auburn coaches have already talked up Martin — the top prep running back in Alabama — like a future feature running back. They’ve already discussed different plans for Joiner and Shivers.

auburn recruiting-harold joiner-official visit-us army all american bowl-auburn football
Auburn commit Harold Joiner could fit a different type of role in the Tigers offense. (Sam Spiegelman/SEC Country)

Harold Joiner is a unique running back prospect. He stands 6-foot-3 and weighs 220 pounds, which makes him much taller than the average back. He brings a lot of athleticism, and his tape shows that he prefers running past opponents rather than through them.

“That boy is a dude,” Shivers said of Joiner. “He can do it all. He can run through the backfield, he can line up at slot, tight end and catch the little seam route — he can do everything.”

Versatility is a key aspect of Joiner’s game. At his size, he can play a number of positions. And during his official visit, Malzahn showed Joiner tape of Charles Clay, one of his former players at Tulsa. The current Buffalo Bills tight end was a do-it-all back at Tulsa, as he caught 189 passes for 2,544 yards and recorded 179 carries for 911 yards in his college career.

“They said my primary position would be running back, but they’d put me out in the slot a little bit and run some sweeps and things like that,” Joiner said. “[Clay], he played at Tulsa. He showed me clips of him. … It’s something different. I’m a versatile guy. I can make moves and run you over if I need to. I can do it all.”

With Auburn still in transition mode when it comes to its H-back and tight end positions — which will kick in fully after Chandler Cox and Jalen Harris complete their senior seasons in 2018 — Joiner could be the missing piece. His skill set will allow Auburn to be creative, even if he starts out as a standard running back.

Auburn football-Auburn Tigers-Auburn-Shaun Shivers
Auburn signee Shaun Shivers (center) could play several different positions on the Plains. (Benjamin Wolk/SEC Country)

Shaun Shivers can bring that same amount of versatility in a much different package. The Florida native said he was measured at 5-7 and 174 pounds during his official visit.

Shivers has track-star speed, much like Auburn wide receiver commit Anthony Schwartz. He also brings a lot of power, as he’s not afraid to run through tackles for a player his size.

Durability would be a major concern if the smaller Shivers ever tried to be an every-down back in the SEC, but Auburn is already talking about different ways of getting the ball in his hands.

“You know, slot, kick return, punt return,” Shivers said. “Move me around. Just get the ball in space and let me do what I do.”

MORE: Auburn OL coach J.B. Grimes makes first recruiting visit to see grad transfer

Auburn still has to find its next go-to running back among veterans Martin, Miller, Barrett and Whitlow. Martin will be a contender there as an early enrollee with an all-around game.

With all that depth, Auburn could afford to get creative with a couple of its spots. The athletic potential of Shivers and Joiner was too intriguing to pass up, even if they never become starting running backs at Auburn.

As Auburn’s offense continues its evolution to a more balanced attack with plenty of variety at its skill positions, there’s a lot to like about the future at running back. And the players themselves are leading that charge.

“We’ve got the best backfield in the nation,” Shivers said. “No one’s better than us three on the same team. We’re just going to do what we do when we get here. We’re going to have the best backfield for the next three or four years.”

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, logan adams said:

By far most excited about Joiner. I’ve been craving a large RB in this offense for a while. 

Probably going to be more of a TE.

12 minutes ago, DAG said:

Probably going to be more of a TE.

He’d be a very undersized TE and a waste of talent with how little we use TEs. 

Just now, logan adams said:

Apparently it’s more of a hybrid type . The insiders hinted at that was the sell to him on the recruiting thread.

24 minutes ago, logan adams said:

By far most excited about Joiner. I’ve been craving a large RB in this offense for a while. 

Yeah interesting to see the quote of him saying he can run people over but we've hardly seen that. Here's to hoping he becomes that monster. I mean c'mon our 5'7 174? Pound rb runs people over more than him.

1 hour ago, WFE12 said:

He’s very good running the football. He’s got great quickness, he’s strong, he protects,” Malzahn said. “He was a very good protector in high school, which is rare. … And he catches the football out of the backfield like a wide receiver.

Quick? Strong? Can protect? Can catch the ball?  If he can protect the football, he is Gus’s guy. 

3 hours ago, logan adams said:

WHEN U R HIS SIZE AND RUN LIKE A TOTEM POLE, YOU HAVE A SHORT LIFESPAN, NOT SAYING HE CAN'T CHANGE, BUT THAT IS HIS CURRENT PATH

10 hours ago, logan adams said:

10 hours ago, logan adams said:

IMO, Whitlow is the big RB you're looking for, and Joiner could easily play at 235-240, which isn't really undersized for a pass catching TE. 

12 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

IMO, Whitlow is the big RB you're looking for, and Joiner could easily play at 235-240, which isn't really undersized for a pass catching TE. 

You said "pass catching".    :laugh:

15 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

To tag onto what you said, I think Joiner needs to redshirt and let Whitlow handle this year.  By all accounts Whitlow is ready for action this year with the high praise from teammates.  Joiner needs to add a little more weight to his frame and to prove to Horton he is not afraid of contact like he is showing on tape.  Running backs that are afraid of contact in this league will not succeed.  This is definitely something that can be fixed though.  This was KJ's knock, until this year when he would take on defenders and then just throw them to the ground like they were nothing.

I think Asa will be the feature back out of these three.  I can see Shivers being used a lot like O Mac was.  Joiner?  I really hope that Gus gets him involved like the kid at Tulsa was.

We needed big RB's, so I'm glad Harold Joiner committed to Auburn last week and we already have JaTarvious Whitlow. Whitlow is  6-0, 205 and Joiner is 6-3, 210.

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Evan Engram 6'3 240lbs

11 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Evan Engram 6'3 240lbs

Yup. We don't need Rob Gronkowski. We need a serviceable guy that can get open and catch passes...and be decently effective in run blocking. Despite the offensive "numbers", the lack of a pass threat TE is hurting this O in the long run. That and a lack of short middle pass game in general.

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

But like I’ve said, we don’t really utilize the TE position. Would be a waste. Joiner needs to play a skill position, at RB. 

52 minutes ago, AUatHeart said:

I think Asa will be the feature back out of these three.  I can see Shivers being used a lot like O Mac was.  Joiner?  I really hope that Gus gets him involved like the kid at Tulsa was.

I honestly see Joiner getting treated like Barrett was...Getting brought in for one specific, obvious play and back to the sideline.

4 minutes ago, logan adams said:

But like I’ve said, we don’t really utilize the TE position. Would be a waste. Joiner needs to play a skill position, at RB. 

Since 2014 and Uzomah who have we had.

Just now, bigbird said:

Since 2014 and Uzomah who have we had.

Not sure, we haven’t had any plays to utilize them other than blocking. Would rather Joiner get the ball 20ish times a game than 3-4 times a game anyway. 

1 minute ago, logan adams said:

Not sure, we haven’t had any plays to utilize them other than blocking. Would rather Joiner get the ball 20ish times a game than 3-4 times a game anyway. 

Its a cycle, we don't have any plays for a TE because we don't have any capable TEs. We don't have capable TEs because we don't have any plays for a TE.

FTR, he won't be a featured back, and he will never get it 20+ times a game. His best chance is to become a matchup nightmare and take advantage of that.

23 minutes ago, logan adams said:

A lot of people have said that, and a lot of people have countered that we haven't been using one because we haven't had a good one. Maybe one of these days we'll find out who's right. 

3 hours ago, abw0004 said:

To tag onto what you said, I think Joiner needs to redshirt and let Whitlow handle this year.  By all accounts Whitlow is ready for action this year with the high praise from teammates.  Joiner needs to add a little more weight to his frame and to prove to Horton he is not afraid of contact like he is showing on tape.  Running backs that are afraid of contact in this league will not succeed.  This is definitely something that can be fixed though.  This was KJ's knock, until this year when he would take on defenders and then just throw them to the ground like they were nothing.

He absolutely should not redshirt for this new dynamic hybrid role they are inventing for him. We need something like this pronto and it is only right that we implement it as soon as possible.

Archived