Quoting Missouri receiver J'Mon Moore

aubiefifty

Former Missouri receiver J'Mon Moore says Auburn corners among best he faced

Updated Jan 26, 12:19 PM; Posted Jan 26, 12:00 PM

By Tom Green

tgreen@al.com

J'Mon Moore took a long pause this week in Mobile.

When asked who the toughest cornerback the Missouri receiver went up against in 2017, Moore had to take a minute to think about it. For the 6-foot-2, 209-pounder, it came down to corners from two schools -- Auburn and South Carolina.

Both secondaries flustered Moore during their run-ins with Missouri last season. South Carolina limited him to three receptions for 29 yards, while Auburn kept him in check with two catches for 35 yards and a touchdown -- though his first reception didn't come until midway through the third quarter and he was targeted on just three or Missouri's 39 pass attempts.

Auburn cornerbacks Carlton Davis and Jamel Dean -- who were both recruited to Auburn by South Carolina head coach Will Muschamp and defensive coordinator Travaris Robinson -- drew the assignment on Moore, who finished the year as the SEC's second-leading receiver. The duo made Moore's night a difficult one as Auburn conscientiously gameplanned to make him a non-factor during the Sept. 23 meeting in Columbia, Mo.

Moore had some high praise for both Dean and Davis, the latter of whom was an All-American who declared early for the NFL Draft and is a potential first-round selection.

"I saw 6 (Davis) a little bit," Moore said. "He's a pretty good guy, big DB. I like them. A matter of fact, I'll give it to 6 when it comes to the best DB I've seen, just technique-wise. I forgot about him; 6 and 12 (Dean) were pretty good. I'll give it to them."

Auburn D keys in on Moore, locks down Mizzou's top WR

Auburn's secondary put on a strong showing against Missouri's potent passing game and limited J'Mon Moore to just two receptions for 35 yards on Saturday.

The performance by Auburn's cornerbacks against Moore, who was targeted just once in the first half of Missouri's 51-14 loss, was one of the most effective of the season against the talented wideout, who finished the year with 65 receptions for 1,082 yards and 10 touchdowns.

His two receptions against Auburn were his second-fewest of the season, behind only his one-catch effort against Georgia two games later. Only one of his receptions came while Davis and Dean were in the game, with his 25-yard touchdown catch in the fourth quarter coming with the outcome well in hand and Auburn reserves Traivon Leonard and Nick Ruffin in coverage on the throw.

At the time, it was the first time in 11 months that Moore was held to fewer than three catches in a game.

"I like 12 (Dean); 12 was big," Moore said. "I knew some things about him that I ain't gonna say, but he's a big guy, pretty big DB. He's got good size. He's pretty good. He's alright."

While Davis and Dean helped make Moore a nonfactor in their teams' matchup, Moore credited South Carolina's cornerbacks for getting in his head during Missouri's SEC-opening loss to the Gamecocks two weeks earlier.

"Their DBs kind of got in my head a little bit, like annoying little flies out there," Moore said. "They came out and they kept sending this big ol' linebacker, so I was looking at two people in front of me. They kind of did a good job of just annoying the hell out of me. I give it to South Carolina, man. I had a bad game against them, so I let them have that."

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

Sports

Can we now give Coach Greg Brown the love he deserves?

I’m not taking anything away from Davis, Dean, and others, but this year I saw our players playing with greater skill sets than anytime in the recent past. For example, countless times just as the ball arrived at the revievers hands, our DB’s would violently rip at their arms causing them to lose their grip on the ball and force an incompletion. 

Everyone wants to fwan over the big name coaches who preceeded CGB and the talent they brough in. Well so what? Bring in all the talent in the world and if you don’t teach them shi*, then you’re still going to have a pi$$ poor defence!

Coach Greg Brown - he’s good!

7 minutes ago, JoeinPF said:

I’m not taking anything away from Davis, Dean, and others, but this year I saw our players playing with greater skill sets than anytime in the recent past. For example, countless times just as the ball arrived at the revievers hands, our DB’s would violently rip at their arms causing them to lose their grip on the ball and force an incompletion. 

Everyone wants to fwan over the big name coaches who preceeded CGB and the talent they brough in. Well so what? Bring in all the talent in the world and if you don’t teach them shi*, then you’re still going to have a pi$$ poor defence!

word at the water cooler is that bird often offers suggestions and certain special covers to help coach brown out some............lol

1 hour ago, JoeinPF said:

Coach Brown has always been a good coach.  Most credit has to go to Muschamp as he found and recruited the talent that Brown got to coach.  Steele uses the same blueprint that Muschamp uses and that is why the direction of our defense has seen improvement across the board and NFL caliber players at all positions.  Our defensive staff is easily top 5 in the country in my opinion.

56 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Coach Brown has always been a good coach.  Most credit has to go to Muschamp as he found and recruited the talent that Brown got to coach.  Steele uses the same blueprint that Muschamp uses and that is why the direction of our defense has seen improvement across the board and NFL caliber players at all positions.  Our defensive staff is easily top 5 in the country in my opinion.

& to think so many of our fans threw a fit when Steele/Brown were hired 

Boom and his staff at AU was the true architect of the revival of AU defense,  Both in recruiting (which is scary since many of Boom and his staffs recruits are graduating or leaving for the NFL draft) and on the field coaching and toughness.  Steele has done a good job of continuing that,  but we still wet the bed on D in our losses in 2017 in key situations.  Don't get me wrong, the O was the primary reason for any loss in 2016 and 2017, but the D had their WTF moments to.

wde

On 1/27/2018 at 9:11 AM, AUIH1 said:

Boom and his staff at AU was the true architect of the revival of AU defense,  Both in recruiting (which is scary since many of Boom and his staffs recruits are graduating or leaving for the NFL draft) and on the field coaching and toughness.  Steele has done a good job of continuing that,  but we still wet the bed on D in our losses in 2017 in key situations.  Don't get me wrong, the O was the primary reason for any loss in 2016 and 2017, but the D had their WTF moments to.

wde

Agreed, Boom and Trob got both of those former Ohio St guys and they went after taller corners. I believe they really laid the foundation for the physical flying to the ball type defense. 

On 1/27/2018 at 2:37 PM, WFE12 said:

Was Dean "pretty good" or "alright"? Also what is he holding back saying about Dean?

I was trying to figure that out too. I wonder if he was referencing his injury history? Lol it's basically the only thing I know about him I'll admit that

5 hours ago, Tiger said:

I was trying to figure that out too. I wonder if he was referencing his injury history? Lol it's basically the only thing I know about him I'll admit that

He probably was going to talk about how Dean holds wr's and often doesn't look back when defending a pass.

Archived