Mitchell and Greenhill back

Tonight?    JMO but I might give each one an inning or so.... and that would be it....both out for health reasons and guess I would not push it against a mid-week team like this one....just see what they have and call it a night.    Looking forward to having both of them available on the weekend.  

5 hours ago, AUGoo said:

That's great.

Though pitching has not really been the problem.

Pitching has been a problem.  I'd be willing to bet Butch would have pulled Burns with two out in the fifth, before the second walk on Sunday if he felt better about the bullpen depth.  This completely changes the complexion of our pitching staff if both are 100%.  A healthy Greenhill could be a season changer.

24 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Pitching has been a problem.  I'd be willing to bet Butch would have pulled Burns with two out in the fifth, before the second walk on Sunday if he felt better about the bullpen depth.  This completely changes the complexion of our pitching staff if both are 100%.  A healthy Greenhill could be a season changer.

yep....

5 hours ago, AU64 said:

Tonight?    JMO but I might give each one an inning or so.... and that would be it....both out for health reasons and guess I would not push it against a mid-week team like this one....just see what they have and call it a night.    Looking forward to having both of them available on the weekend.  

That’s what they’re going to get unless they have a ridiculously short inning. As long as both don’t have any issues, they will travel to Arkansas, but they have to throw tonight before we know we can commit to taking them with us on the road trip. 

AU's mid week pitchers have gotten knocked around quite a bit tonight....did not see Greenhill yet...still in the 6th so time yet for him but the rest of the guys did not shut A and M down.    Meanwhile  the AU hitters have had a good evening...13-5 with a few HRs .....good game to sharpen their batting eye....better than just hitting against hitting coaches...certainly not SEC level...but might help confidence. 

OK...both guys are ready to travel....which is a very good thing because the rest of the mid week staff did not distinguish itself in the win.  Greenhill has a few more days to gain strength.

The stat lines weren't horrible, but too many guys are pitching from behind in the count.  One thing I like is that every guy stayed planted on the rubber between pitches and worked fast.  Stephen Williams is still learning how to catch and he's got to learn how to handle these guys better...there were several times last night where he could/should have gone to the mound to help those guys and slow them down just a tad.  

I'm beginning to wonder if Will Holland is having relationship problems off the field...he was way outplayed defensively by the A&M shortstop last night.  No errors, but a couple of times he thought he could rely on the big arm and guys got infield singles that should have been outs.  Appears to be mentally checked out right now, although he did swing the bat okay last night.

24  players got to see the field last night for Auburn.

1 hour ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

The stat lines weren't horrible, but too many guys are pitching from behind in the count.  One thing I like is that every guy stayed planted on the rubber between pitches and worked fast.  Stephen Williams is still learning how to catch and he's got to learn how to handle these guys better...there were several times last night where he could/should have gone to the mound to help those guys and slow them down just a tad.  

I'm beginning to wonder if Will Holland is having relationship problems off the field...he was way outplayed defensively by the A&M shortstop last night.  No errors, but a couple of times he thought he could rely on the big arm and guys got infield singles that should have been outs.  Appears to be mentally checked out right now, although he did swing the bat okay last night.

Ah the womenses 

19 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Ah the womenses 

Spring time in Auburn brings a lot of distractions. Was talking to a Tennesseee grad this morning about his last trip to JHS (Vols come back this fall), “most beautiful women anywhere”. 

1 hour ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Ah the womenses 

Thinking Holland's arm might be marginal for shortstop?

As for stats.....the visitors got 13 or 14 hits last night...and that's a team not noted for great hitting.     Our mid week guys have also been weekend relievers lately and really need to get the bull pen nailed down as to who is dependable. 

Hoping Mitchell and Greenhill are at least 90% now...arky has some bats......and pitchers will  not be able to get away with mistakes in the strike zone....

16 hours ago, AU64 said:

AU's mid week pitchers have gotten knocked around quite a bit tonight....did not see Greenhill yet...still in the 6th so time yet for him but the rest of the guys did not shut A and M down.    Meanwhile  the AU hitters have had a good evening...13-5 with a few HRs .....good game to sharpen their batting eye....better than just hitting against hitting coaches...certainly not SEC level...but might help confidence. 

Greenhill was cleared for throwing and exercise but not for actually entering the game.

3 hours ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

I thought Holland was nursing a wrist/ hand injury......

14 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

Greenhill was cleared for throwing and exercise but not for actually entering the game.

Note that Greenhill pitched the final inning ...something like 15 pitches and one K.....an error and an infield hit...sounded like he did just fine. 

17 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Note that Greenhill pitched the final inning ...something like 15 pitches and one K.....an error and an infield hit...sounded like he did just fine. 

I was going by the information they gave earlier in the game. I think it was Andy who said he was up throwing in the BP but wasn't cleared yet. I did not watch past the 7th inning.

2 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

I was going by the information they gave earlier in the game. I think it was Andy who said he was up throwing in the BP but wasn't cleared yet. I did not watch past the 7th inning.

me neither....just checked the stats today to see what happened the last couple innings.  Would have liked to see what he looked like but the comments this morning were favorable which is good news....

2 hours ago, Tigerbelle said:

He looked good last night. Hit 91 once. Good breaking ball, lively fastball. Good outing for him.

6 hours ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Holland's footwork gets bad at times. I think he relies on that big arm too much. A few of those balls were fairly soft with good runners at the plate. IMO he has to know who is running and adjust and attack the groundballs accordingly. He's getting caught up in between strides too often and rushing throws before he can set his feet, but he's having to throw because he's losing time getting to or collecting the ball. And then there was the one odd play where he looked a runner back at second who had just rounded the bag. It was strange. 

1 hour ago, boomstick said:

And then there was the one odd play where he looked a runner back at second who had just rounded the bag.

I hate to say it, but it looked like he was hot dogging on that play.  If the previous HC had been in the dugout last night I'm afraid more than the bullpen catcher would have been crying.

5 hours ago, boomstick said:

He looked good last night. Hit 91 once. Good breaking ball, lively fastball. Good outing for him.

He also pounced on that bunt, barehanded the ball and had a serious quick snap throw to first.  

5 hours ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

I hate to say it, but it looked like he was hot dogging on that play.  If the previous HC had been in the dugout last night I'm afraid more than the bullpen catcher would have been crying.

I don’t think he was hot dogging. I think he thought he was going to catch that runner rounding second too far off the bag and pumped and turned to see, but the runner didn’t stray far. By that time, it was too late for him to pump again and get the guy running to first. 

Archived