Best (and worst) beers you’ve ever had - redux

AUDub

4 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Unfortunately, beer markets vary wildly, so I can’t accurately suggest things in Huntsville. 😕

Last time I went up there it wasn't too wildly divergent from Birmingham.

For a good Tripel, Chimay Cinq Cents and La Fin Du Monde shouldn't be too hard to find up there. Also, the aforementioned Golden Monkey. 

Westbrook was well represented on the Gose front. Found stock and the Key Lime variety in Publix. Haven't been there recently enough to see the Lemon Cucumber version.

Trim Tab's Paradise Now Berliner Weiss was around. If you find the imperial version, take the plunge.

Saw a good bit of Lindeman's Lambics and Crooked Stave Wilds (not Nightmare on Brett though, sadly).

• Thanks 1

Just now, fredst said:

My wife is going to track you guys down if I start buying craft beer like I have whiskey. She can only tolerate so much....

Heads up: sours and true Belgians hit the wallet hard. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Heads up: sours and true Belgians hit the wallet hard. 

She’s an amazingly understanding woman. As long as the kids 529s stay intact I’m good.....

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Yes sir. Ready for some Narwhal!

Old Rasputin one I can usually readily find that I like.

Notice: You beer geeks are making me nervous about mentioning my likes for fear of a public shaming, lol.

6 minutes ago, fredst said:

Notice: You beer geeks are making me nervous about mentioning my likes for fear of a public shaming, lol.

We won't judge you here. I crush the silver bullet regularly.

I saw Oskar Blues up there too. Ten Fidy is a banging RIS. 

Edited by AUDub
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, AUDub said:

We won't judge you here. I crush the silver bullet regularly.

I saw Oskar Blues up there too. Ten Fidy is a banging RIS. 

Second..ed...ed.

High Life is my no-longer-guilty pleasure. 

Hear hear on Ten Fidy and Old Raspy. Sooooo much better to me than most of the sugar bombs that people buy tickets and stand in line for for the privilege of then spending $2/oz for a limit of 2 bottles per. Sorry. To hell with bottle releases. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Hear hear on Ten Fidy and Old Raspy. Sooooo much better to me than most of the sugar bombs that people buy tickets and stand in line for for the privilege of then spending $2/oz for a limit of 2 bottles per. Sorry. To hell with bottle releases. 

I've paid 20 for a bomber of barrel aged Rasputin, and 31 for a howler of barrel aged Ten Fidy lol. 

• Thanks 1

Great Divide Yeti was like my favorite beer of all time- first beer I really searched for hard any time I was traveling. No longer available in my market. Rasputin to me a good second choice.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fredst said:

Old Rasputin was one of the first RIS I ever had 10+ years ago. I drank a 4pk. That was a mistake. I think I also put down a 4pk or DFH 90min that same night. Simultaneous mistakes. That might have been my first real hangover.

Buddy and me had to drive just over the state line into Georgia(from Birmingham) to score higher ABV craft. This was before the “Free the Hops” campaign started. 

Edited by ShocksMyBrain
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, AUDub said:

I've paid 20 for a bomber of barrel aged Rasputin, and 31 for a howler of barrel aged Ten Fidy lol. 

I paid about $70-80 for a 750 of Cascade Bourbonic Plague. Wedding anniversary bottle. Not worth it. 😐

Wife paid, presumably more, for a bottle of BCBS Rare for my birthday present. She still won’t tell me how much she paid. It was fantastic. It was my 1000th check-in to Untappd, and I saved the bottle and box. 

Edited by ShocksMyBrain
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, fredst said:

I hammer some Miller Lite tallboys, Naturdays, and White Claws and don’t even get mad about it. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Old Rasputin was one of the first RIS I ever had 10+ years ago. I drank a 4pk. That was a mistake. I think I also put down a 4pk or DFH 90min that same night. Simultaneous mistakes. That might have been my first real hangover.

Buddy and me had to drive just over the state line into Georgia(from Birmingham) to score higher ABV craft. This was before the “Free the Hops” campaign started. 

My first night at Brick Store and my first night drinking high grav beers was... intense. 

8 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

I paid about $70-80 for a 750 of Cascade Bourbonic Plague. Wedding anniversary bottle. Not worth it. 😐

Wife paid, presumably more, for a bottle of BCBS Rare for my birthday present. She still won’t tell me how much she paid. It was fantastic. It was my 1000th check-in to Untappd, and I saved the bottle and box. 

Cascade beers are crazy overpriced IMO.

BCBS Rare probably worth whatever she paid, lol. Very cool. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Cascade beers are crazy overpriced IMO.

BCBS Rare probably worth whatever she paid, lol. Very cool. 

I don't have much experience with Cascade, but I did enjoy their Kriek Flemish ale when I tried it at the beach. Didn't break the bank to pay for it, though.  Probably because it was a shelf turd. 

4 minutes ago, AUDub said:

I don't have much experience with Cascade, but I did enjoy their Kriek Flemish ale when I tried it at the beach. Didn't break the bank to pay for it, though.  Probably because it was a shelf turd. 

I had a buddy who found one of their beers that normally costs like $19/bottle for $8 at a really random place like Target or somewhere. And their beer is definitely good. 

I'm cheap, though. I don't eff with Crooked Stave, either, for the same reason. 

Part of my problem is that I'm getting old and part of my brain is stuck in 2006. 

First Oktoberfest sampler acquired. Only one German beer in round one. My dude gets the Ayinger in Friday. Way too hot for these but I have no chill.

IMG_20190828_151926.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I know I'm supposed to hate it, but it's just so good. 

KIi6Uat.jpg

Edited by AUDub
  • Love 1

On 8/27/2019 at 5:53 PM, ShocksMyBrain said:

That said ^...

Imperial Stouts are my jam. And I’m probably contradicting myself a bit, but if a stout is under 8%, rarely do I even bother. 

IDGAF if it’s a pastry stout, BBA, or just a regular ol’ RIS. Hefty stouts are delicious. 

My notifications for this thread got turned off...wtf.

Now I’m pissed, because I had a super f’in tasty BA Russian Imperial earlier this week (traveling) andni camt remember what it was. Cruel irony? Anyway, it was boozy af, thick, warm, perfectly carbonated. FWIW, it had a super loose, thick gold foil topper. I was in WV

56 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

And now I’m gettin airport buzzed all day. Won’t be home until after kickoff. Current state, sitting at a taco place in BWI drinking 8.2% Raging Bitch Belgian IPA watching BSU/FSU.

Well, this is a mixed bag...

• Haha 1