Brown Liquor Time

fredst

• 1 month later...

Came over to this board to dodge the melt and acrimony over on the football board. Latest bottles to purchase were:  Knob Creek Single Barrel Select at 120 proof, Elijah Small Batch Barrel Proof at 135 proof, and a restock of Old Forester 1920. All excellent and pretty affordable. Cheers and WDE!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guy came in tonight and was like, “I got a bottle of Pappy” as if I was supposed to be impressed. 

“Oh yeah? How much did you pay?”

”$3000”

I was pretty much at a loss for words. All I could stammer out was, “well, uh, I guess if you could, um, you know whatever”. 

We sold our 23 year for $500 last year. 

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Guy came in tonight and was like, “I got a bottle of Pappy” as if I was supposed to be impressed. 

“Oh yeah? How much did you pay?”

”$3000”

I was pretty much at a loss for words. All I could stammer out was, “well, uh, I guess if you could, um, you know whatever”. 

We sold our 23 year for $500 last year. 

I keep wondering if the bourbon market will ever be reasonable again. This tells me that we aren’t close, lol. Makes me long for the days when I bought Pappy at MSRP....

1 hour ago, fredst said:

I keep wondering if the bourbon market will ever be reasonable again. This tells me that we aren’t close, lol. Makes me long for the days when I bought Pappy at MSRP....

I used to be able to grab 20 off the shelf for $100 and there’d be a few of them still left. 

3 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

I used to be able to grab 20 off the shelf for $100 and there’d be a few of them still left. 

Damn, those were the good old days. I had tasted the 15 at one point back when and looked for it all over. Found that and the 12 on the shelf in a store at MSRP- bought like 8 bottles of each. About 6 months after that there was a big spread in the WSJ about Pappy and the “bourbon revolution” (probably 10 years ago now). That was all she wrote, lol. Not willing to pay what it would cost me now because the only place I’d get it would be the secondary market (I ain’t camping out for it).

• Like 1

On 11/2/2019 at 9:35 AM, fredst said:

As recently as 4 years ago, I could get Weller 12 pours at both of my regular bars in Atlanta for $8. One of them can no longer get it and the other one now pours at after market prices. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

As recently as 4 years ago, I could get Weller 12 pours at both of my regular bars in Atlanta for $8. One of them can no longer get it and the other one now pours at after market prices. 

I have a 1.75 bottle of the Weller 12 that I bought for like $125 3 years or so ago. I thought I must be out of my mind at the time because I used to buy the 750 ml at like $25-30 back in the day. In today’s market that 1.75L purchase looks pretty good 

• Like 1

Back on the Bourbon board because of the merry-go-round over on the football board. 

Family got together for my Dads 85th Bday this weekend. While smoking butts and beef tenderloin on the BGE had a few different bourbons. Once again reminded how solid OF bourbons are- that 1897 BIB is really good and a good bit cheaper than the 1920. Also, poured myself 3 varieties of Elijah Craig Barrel Proof:B518,A119, B519- all excellent with B519 nice at 122.2 (others 133.4 and 135.2). Would recommend any of them though, just have to add a little water to cool off those 130s

• Love 2

11 hours ago, fredst said:

Back on the Bourbon board because of the merry-go-round over on the football board. 

Family got together for my Dads 85th Bday this weekend. While smoking butts and beef tenderloin on the BGE had a few different bourbons. Once again reminded how solid OF bourbons are- that 1897 BIB is really good and a good bit cheaper than the 1920. Also, poured myself 3 varieties of Elijah Craig Barrel Proof:B518,A119, B519- all excellent with B519 nice at 122.2 (others 133.4 and 135.2). Would recommend any of them though, just have to add a little water to cool off those 130s

HBD Papa Fred!!!

• Thanks 1

On 11/12/2019 at 7:58 PM, ShocksMyBrain said:

Just a heads up for you Scotch and Irish drinkers...stock up while you can. European tariffs are going to hit soon. 

Something as mundane as Bailey’s took a $10 per liter hike in Florida yesterday. 

Ouch. Going to Scotland at Christmas. I believe the travel retail stores with get a visit when I stop in Amsterdam or Edinburgh

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Very cool.

Looking very forward to it. Wifey-st wanted to do this as celebration for her 50th. Went to London at Christmas a couple of years ago; Christmas Eve service at Kings College in Cambridge one of the most memorable Christmas things I’ll ever do (listen to it on the BBC Christmas Eve morning if you never have; broadcast worldwide). Need to get my kilt😜

Edited by fredst
  • Love 2

4 minutes ago, fredst said:

Looking very forward to it. Wifey-st wanted to do this as celebration for her 50th. Went to London at Christmas a couple of years ago; Christmas Eve service at Kings College in Cambridge one of the most memorable Christmas things I’ll ever do (listen to it on the BBC Christmas Eve morning if you never have; broadcast worldwide). Need to get my kilt😜

You guys are doing it right. We had kids late (McLittle turns 5 Sunday, McBaby turns 1 next week, McWifey is 40, I'm 44) so I'm not sure we'll get to do her 50th in Scotland, but we plan to do as many similar trips as possible once the parental responsibilities diminish enough to allow it. Hoping for a small, international family trip next year, even though McBaby won't appreciate or remember it at all. 

10-4 on the BBC broadcast. McWifey would love that.

If you bump into any descendants of Clan Ewen over there, give them a slainte for me. 

Image result for clan ewen tartan

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

You guys are doing it right. We had kids late (McLittle turns 5 Sunday, McBaby turns 1 next week, McWifey is 40, I'm 44) so I'm not sure we'll get to do her 50th in Scotland, but we plan to do as many similar trips as possible once the parental responsibilities diminish enough to allow it. Hoping for a small, international family trip next year, even though McBaby won't appreciate or remember it at all. 

10-4 on the BBC broadcast. McWifey would love that.

If you bump into any descendants of Clan Ewen over there, give them a slainte for me. 

Image result for clan ewen tartan

Awesome. We are Clan McMillan. It is hard traveling with young ones. We did the Disney thing a couple of times but what I have most enjoyed is trips to the National Parks-great family vacations as the girls got older and could participate. They grow so fast, you can’t wait, just have to go.

908603E5-FEAE-44DE-B1B1-69E1858B87AB.jpeg

1 minute ago, fredst said:

Awesome. We are Clan McMillan. It is hard traveling with young ones. We did the Disney thing a couple of times but what I have most enjoyed is trips to the National Parks-great family vacations as the girls got older and could participate. They grow so fast, you can’t wait, just have to go.

908603E5-FEAE-44DE-B1B1-69E1858B87AB.jpeg

That's how we look at it, too. And I'm glad to hear you say that about the National Parks, because we really want to do that with them. The girl loves camping. (She loves *everything*.) Assuming the boy will be into it, too. 

I need to pick up a bottle of a good Islay whisky and start planning...

31 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

That's how we look at it, too. And I'm glad to hear you say that about the National Parks, because we really want to do that with them. The girl loves camping. (She loves *everything*.) Assuming the boy will be into it, too. 

I need to pick up a bottle of a good Islay whisky and start planning...

Lagavulin 16 or Ardbeg Uigeadail would be my recommendation. Plan those trips way in advance so that you can stay at Old Faithful Inn at Yellowstone, the Awahnee in Yosemite, etc. Makes those incredible places even more special 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, fredst said:

Lagavulin 16 or Ardbeg Uigeadail would be my recommendation. Plan those trips way in advance so that you can stay at Old Faithful Inn at Yellowstone, the Awahnee in Yosemite, etc. Makes those incredible places even more special 

Two of my favorites. Well, I've had some Ardbeg expressions, not sure which. 

I remember my first sip of Lagavulin 13 years ago at Sage on the square in downtown Decatur. One of those "whole new world" moments. GFY, Johnny Walker! Wait, no, come back, Johnny Walker! I didn't mean it

• Haha 1

My big score for the bourbon season. Last year’s release but, what the heck. Had to pay 2x MSRP but I don’t think that’s unreasonable in today’s market (although that is my ceiling)

4EA931D7-34CB-4F4C-B675-059F04F51E16.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Man, my damn notifications keep turning off. Poop.

On the national parks, I love them. I think in this day and age of keeping up with the Jones’s vacation race, NP’s are an often overlooked option(don’t tell that to GSMNP). We are planning a big westerly trip next year. Gonna hit Yellowstone(done it twice) and Glacier(never seen it).

I love all the OF. Glad to hear 1910 is hitting shelves again. I think it’s my fave.

• Love 1

12 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Man, my damn notifications keep turning off. Poop.

On the national parks, I love them. I think in this day and age of keeping up with the Jones’s vacation race, NP’s are an often overlooked option(don’t tell that to GSMNP). We are planning a big westerly trip next year. Gonna hit Yellowstone(done it twice) and Glacier(never seen it).

I love all the OF. Glad to hear 1910 is hitting shelves again. I think it’s my fave.

Spent a summer in Glacier. One of the most transformative experiences of my life. Most beautiful place I've ever seen. Can't wait to take the family. 

• Love 2