Which Players are Leaving?

AUght2win

Slayton going Pro.  I’m not sure that matters with Seth, Schwartz, Stove, Hastings, Pickens, and all the other freshmen coming in.  

I don’t know what Harrell was talking about. He played better than Horton down the stretch but neither was setting the world on fire

• Replies 660
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, Tiger said:

slay.gif

War Eagle Darius!  It has been fun watching you at Auburn and hope to see you on Sundays!

1 hour ago, Win4AU said:

Slayton going Pro.  I’m not sure that matters with Seth, Schwartz, Stove, Hastings, Pickens, and all the other freshmen coming in.  

I don’t know what Harrell was talking about. He played better than Horton down the stretch but neither was setting the world on fire

Don't forget about Hill

1 hour ago, Win4AU said:

Auburn quarterbacks* completed 230 passes in 2018. We're losing half of those receptions between Davis, Slayton and Cox. And we'll have a new starting QB. 

*3 passes by WRs and RBs were completed. We're losing 2 of those. 

5 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Auburn quarterbacks* completed 230 passes in 2018. We're losing half of those receptions between Davis, Slayton and Cox. And we'll have a new starting QB. 

Playing time everywhere, but those seniors and early departures made plays . We have to replace with play makers and great leadership 

9 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Playing time everywhere, but those seniors and early departures made plays . We have to replace with play makers and great leadership 

Exactly. Experience matters, even for an Auburn WR. Experience and production really matter. 

6 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Not sure I get Slayton’s decision. Would be a premier receiver again next season, and would have more upward mobility in the draft. Oh well. We’ll be fine, congrats to the young man 

What is this draft class like at WR? What will it be like next year? Are we really sure he'd improve his stock with a new OC and QB? Lots of variables. 

Yes he was a solid performer. Good kid it seems. I hate to lose him. I might rethink this later but right now it doesn’t feel like a devastating loss. 

26 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

For whatever reason, I thought Slayton was done this season anyway. Didn't even realize he had another year of eligibility. We should be fine with his departure unless his replacement(s) suck at blocking on the perimeter. IMHO, losing Davis is a bigger blow to our offense and that was unavoidable.

Schwartz/Stove will likely be our screen guys. Hastings will resume his role in the slot. Seth will take one outside spot but who do we think grabs the other side? Pickens? That's definitely a lot of playmakers at WR!

I don't know that I agree with Slayton leaving....  He dropped a lot of balls this year that hit him in the hands.  Maybe he is tired of blocking.

25 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Not sure I get Slayton’s decision. Would be a premier receiver again next season, and would have more upward mobility in the draft. Oh well. We’ll be fine, congrats to the young man 

Who's going to throw it to him next season?

1 minute ago, Linayus said:

For whatever reason, I thought Slayton was done this season anyway. Didn't even realize he had another year of eligibility. We should be fine with his departure unless his replacement(s) suck at blocking on the perimeter. IMHO, losing Davis is a bigger blow to our offense and that was unavoidable.

Schwartz/Stove will likely be our screen guys. Hastings will resume his role in the slot. Seth will take one outside spot but who do we think grabs the other side? Pickens? That's definitely a lot of playmakers at WR!

Losing Davis is a huge blow, which is why losing Slayton and his experience is also a big blow. Or at least is likely to be. 

Another fun fact: Slayton has had the 2nd-most receptions among WRs each of the last 3 years. 

So we're losing our top 2 guys from the last 3 years- by a significant margin- at the same time we're breaking in a new QB. 

5 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

I don't know that I agree with Slayton leaving....  He dropped a lot of balls this year that hit him in the hands.  Maybe he is tired of blocking.

Eh. People said that about Rico Louis and Sammie Coates, too. 4th and 2nd rounders, respectively. Slayton will show out in the combine. Not quite like Sammie did, but probably as well as Rico. 6'2 190, former high school track star? Yes, please. 

Also, this is the current WR draft class. I'm sure it will get more crowded in coming days and weeks, but I don't see a ton of household names on there for DSlay to compete with. 

He'll be fine.

Smart choice by Slayton to move on.  Been here four years and he has a better chance to develop more at the next level than he will by staying another year in this system.   Might as well start making some money while doing it.

Really surprised and disappointed by Slayton. His decision tells me one of two things, though.

1. He doesn't think he'll get as many balls next year even as the #1 guy, as he gets the sense Gus is going back to heavy read-option.

2. He doesn't have confidence at all in Gatewood or Willis, and isn't willing to bet on a true freshman.

30 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

. And WTH with Harrell?

What? You wanted him to turn pro? He tweeted that he was returning to Auburn.

8 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Losing Davis is a huge blow, which is why losing Slayton and his experience is also a big blow. Or at least is likely to be. 

Another fun fact: Slayton has had the 2nd-most receptions among WRs each of the last 3 years. 

So we're losing our top 2 guys from the last 3 years- by a significant margin- at the same time we're breaking in a new QB. 

I mean, it does suck losing the experience at that position but I think we'll be fine. There were times this year when I thought we tried too hard to force the ball to Slayton when it wasn't there (and when it was we often missed - lol). I'm happy that both Stidham and Slayton went out big for us. :)

The way Oregon played this year, depending on our QB situation, I think we might end up starting the season off with a big win instead of a big question mark. :D

Another year probably does not help him much draft wise.   Regarding next years receiver class, Alabama will have 2 or 3 leaving early next year probably but not sure what the rest of the class will look like.  

3 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Really surprised and disappointed by Slayton. His decision tells me one of two things, though.

1. He doesn't think he'll get as many balls next year even as the #1 guy, as he gets the sense Gus is going back to heavy read-option.

2. He doesn't have confidence at all in Gatewood or Willis, and isn't willing to bet on a true freshman.

Maybe it simply means he has spent 4 years in college and it is time to go after his dreams.

1 minute ago, aucosby said:

Slayton is taking a huge risk.  He is more than likely heading towards a free agent contract. 

What is the risk?  

Archived