Gus Music City Bowl Presser: 12-13-18 (All Threads Merged)

toddc

3 hours ago, AU64 said:

😃  Made a good point but bad example....after the guy was fired the Sooners gave up more than 40 points in four of their last five games....well, one was in the 50s.  So turned out it was not about  the DC........the problem was the Oklahoma defensive players......    Might have been the same situation at AU...:dunno:

It’s not a bad example, OU is still in the playoffs with a chance at an NC.  Riley realized his DC wasn’t getting it done, rather than hang on to him, he cut the dead weight.  If Chip wasn’t getting it done, then Gus could’ve done the same and taken over the playcalling.  

We’ll never know if it was the players or the coach, but Gus damn sure feels good about starting a green QB with nearly zero experience behind an inferior line next season.  He said the offense will be much better no matter who we have at QB, which is an odd statement to make after the season we just witnessed.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Auburnfan91 said:

Kerryon didn't start as a Freshman. 

Gus can't evaluate talent or utilize talent correctly belle. Pettway didn't start until Kerryon went down with an injury. For whatever reason, Gus likes to ride one RB into the ground and only uses other RB's sparingly. It's tough to get on the field when you're fighting for scraps. That's why I think it was stupid by our staff to waste Asa's year of eligibility when they weren't going to really use him much anyway.

Amen! 

The Guster’s actions for the last 6 years speak for themselves, there is no defending his poor roster management.  

13 hours ago, AURealist said:

I believe there were no contract changes discussed behind closed doors. 

I have no idea where the rumors came from.  Whoever started them either wanted a change at head coach or to hurt Auburn.  When someone offers proof something happened, I'll admit I was wrong.  Until then, I'll marvel at the gullibility of half our fan base.

Yep. People can disagree with me all day, but there was a narrative pushed that this happened. Anybody can discuss anything but people were acting like this was just plain truth. No way would Gus agree to something that pidgeonholes him . That has never been his personality. He has shown that he is willing to go backwards to go forwards if the cards are stacked against him.

2 hours ago, homersapien said:

One word:  Tennessee

Not sure what a game played two months ago has to do with playing Purdue in a bowl game?  If we’re just picking bad games I’d be more concerned with the Miss State game than the Tennessee game.  Auburn had 20 runs by RBs compared to 45 pass attempts against UT.  I wouldn’t be surprised to see 45 runs compared to 20 passes if Gus is calling plays against PU.

5 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

It is meant to show my fandom for Auburn, but my desire for Gus to go.  Think about what coaches would line up to replace Gus coming off of a NC and we could fire Gus for cause, so no buy out.  The perfect solution.

So the perfect solution is for him to do what Auburn wants him to do and then wish he does something that will forever impact his personal and professional career on a permanent basis? That is f'd up. Regardless of what you think of his coaching, the man doesn't deserve to be hung from the PC tree that exists in today's world.

Also a dumb idea. If you want him to leave then the best situation would be he wins it all for Auburn, someone decides they want him and they pay the buyout for us, and he goes on his way of his own accord.

6 hours ago, Texan4Auburn said:

So the perfect solution is for him to do what Auburn wants him to do and then wish he does something that will forever impact his personal and professional career on a permanent basis? That is f'd up. Regardless of what you think of his coaching, the man doesn't deserve to be hung from the PC tree that exists in today's world.

Also a dumb idea. If you want him to leave then the best situation would be he wins it all for Auburn, someone decides they want him and they pay the buyout for us, and he goes on his way of his own accord.

Lightens up, man. It was a joke.  Can you imagine Gus uttering anything that would be considered offensive? That’s dog crap. 

12 hours ago, Auburnfan91 said:

Kerryon didn't start as a Freshman. 

Gus can't evaluate talent or utilize talent correctly belle.

We had upperclassmen in Jovan, Peyton Barber, and Roc on the team. Surely you have a better point than this. If anything it was Jovan that didn’t get tbe tote enough. 

Pettway didn't start until Kerryon went down with an injury.

That’s because KJ was tbe better back.

For whatever reason, Gus likes to ride one RB into the ground and only uses other RB's sparingly.

Gus likes to ride one RB to tbe finish line is what you should’ve wrote. Gus seemed to not mind sharing the rock this go around though. Maybe he just likes backs that he can trust. Don’t know if true, but seems that Shivers is slowly earning that trust from Gus. 

The first clue to all the talk about contract changes was where it originated, with a reporter who covers politics.  The majority of the politicians in the state are bammers.  Guess where the "info" probably came from?  Almost every year a story which paints Auburn in a negative light surfaces during the end of recruiting, and they have all been false.  Those who talk don't know, and those who know don't talk.  

If something sounds too ridiculous to be true, it's probably false. This "take a pay cut and hire who we tell you to hire or else" was ridiculous garbage. Even though I doubted it, I still gave it too much credibility. So I'm guilty as a doubter but I never did totally swallow the dribble because it didn't make any sense.

This falls into the same pail of rubbish as the "entire defensive staff is gong to be fired tomorrow" rumor that was passed around as true about two weeks ago. Many tomorrows have passed and nary a defensive coach has been fired.

One of the main things we should have retained from our Auburn education is a healthy skepticism. Lets all, me included, try to remember this the next time some foolish sounding rumor gets floated.

11 hours ago, Win4AU said:

Not sure what a game played two months ago has to do with playing Purdue in a bowl game?  If we’re just picking bad games I’d be more concerned with the Miss State game than the Tennessee game.  Auburn had 20 runs by RBs compared to 45 pass attempts against UT.  I wouldn’t be surprised to see 45 runs compared to 20 passes if Gus is calling plays against PU.

OK, if you prefer, two words:   Mississippi State ;D

17 minutes ago, homersapien said:

OK, if you prefer, two words:   Mississippi State ;D

Thank you.  I prefer complete ineptness on both sides of the ball.

5 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

Lightens up, man. It was a joke.  Can you imagine Gus uttering anything that would be considered offensive? That’s dog crap. 

That's 15 yards on you!

4 hours ago, Mikey said:

If something sounds too ridiculous to be true, it's probably false. This "take a pay cut and hire who we tell you to hire or else" was ridiculous garbage. Even though I doubted it, I still gave it too much credibility. So I'm guilty as a doubter but I never did totally swallow the dribble because it didn't make any sense.

This falls into the same pail of rubbish as the "entire defensive staff is gong to be fired tomorrow" rumor that was passed around as true about two weeks ago. Many tomorrows have passed and nary a defensive coach has been fired.

One of the main things we should have retained from our Auburn education is a healthy skepticism. Lets all, me included, try to remember this the next time some foolish sounding rumor gets floated.

We had one of the main Mods (Titan) on here backing every damn thing Josh Moon and Jay Tate we’re publishing, we had “insders” that are close to the program backing up the claims (WDEWDE) doing some of the same.  We had trusted AU folks (Phillip Marshall) laying out the details of the contract reduction, the time of day that Harbert met with Gus and when Leath flew off to DC.   

There was some pretty detailed crap those guys were pumping out daily for a while. 

So as foolish as it all sounded, there were a bunch of AUburn folks that were made to look like idiots.  And I have a hard time believing uat was behind all that crap.

18 minutes ago, keesler said:

So as foolish as it all sounded, there were a bunch of AUburn folks that were made to look like idiots.  And I have a hard time believing uat was behind all that crap.

So you are suggesting that AU people can be stupid and do stuff to hurt the program without the help of REC  ?  :dunno:   OK...guess I can buy that ….  but I keep hoping it was because they were duped by outside forces....  

20 minutes ago, keesler said:

We had one of the main Mods (Titan) on here backing every damn thing Josh Moon and Jay Tate we’re publishing, we had “insders” that are close to the program backing up the claims (WDEWDE) doing some of the same.  We had trusted AU folks (Phillip Marshall) laying out the details of the contract reduction, the time of day that Harbert met with Gus and when Leath flew off to DC.   

There was some pretty detailed crap those guys were pumping out daily for a while. 

It's CYA. What's he supposed to say, they tried to fire me. When that wasn't going to happen they tried to make me quit. When I called them on that BS, they realized they were in a no win situation and gave me another year.

6 minutes ago, bigbird said:

It's CYA. What's he supposed to say, they tried to fire me. When that wasn't going to happen they tried to make me quit. When I called them on that BS, they realized they were in a no win situation and gave me another year.

I hate to do it, but I have to, at least one more time....

Pat Morita.gif

2 minutes ago, Farmer Brown said:

I hate to do it, but I have to, at least one more time....

Pat Morita.gif

It works in so many situations...

On 12/13/2018 at 8:26 PM, 3rdgeneration said:

Open records requests would confirm one way or another. These "reporters" need to do their homework. If they didn't, they should all be fired.

All public institutions have to supply records of any written conversations, emails, texts, etc., if requested.

Jesus Fuggin' Christ, this is an amazing example of Poe's Law in action.  Absolutely breath taking.

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

So you are suggesting that AU people can be stupid and do stuff to hurt the program without the help of REC  ?  :dunno:   OK...guess I can buy that ….  but I keep hoping it was because they were duped by outside forces....  

Duped by outside forces that were so close to the situation that they gave specific details about Leath jetting off to DC left the negotiations to Harbert while he was out of town?  Outside sources couldn’t make up the details that finite.  See Bird’s response to my post.  The negotiations apparently happened, discussions were had, Gus’ public response was his attempt to save face after they tried to immaculate him and cut his balls off.  After 19 days, Gus did an interview to clear things up and save the recruiting class.  

7 minutes ago, keesler said:

Duped by outside forces that were so close to the situation that they gave specific details about Leath jetting off to DC left the negotiations to Harbert while he was out of town?  Outside sources couldn’t make up the details that finite.  See Bird’s response to my post.  The negotiations apparently happened, discussions were had, Gus’ public response was his attempt to save face after they tried to immaculate him and cut his balls off.  After 19 days, Gus did an interview to clear things up and save the recruiting class.  

I believe emasculate is the word you were going for.

Maybe someone who is privy to Leath's schedule doesn't like Gus. 

What proof exists that Harbert negotiated anything?    

Until there's proof, the simplest explanation is that nothing happened.

On 12/14/2018 at 4:59 PM, Win4AU said:

I’d never bet on Auburn in any season.  I’ve been an Auburn Fan way too long.  I really don’t understand the negativity about the bowl game.  This is a Purdue team that went 2-3 after the Ohio State game including a blow out loss to Minnesota.  Auburn got blown out by the #1 team in the country and beaten badly by probably the 2nd best team in the country.  When all the chips are down is when Gus and Auburn thrive.  Auburn has only had one practice to prepare for the bowl and Gus seemed pretty locked in yesterday.  He knows what’s up and I expect this team to be ready.  

I see your point, but we are talking about Gus Malzahan...that really does not inspire confidence

We know our team will probably look like a backyard football team, so at least that is certain...

On 12/13/2018 at 8:26 PM, 3rdgeneration said:

All public institutions have to supply records of any written conversations, emails, texts, etc., if requested.

Yep....just ask Hugh Freeze about that.

Archived