Updated: Roe v. Wade overturned

AUDub

10 hours ago, AUDub said:

"It's ok for Alabama to treat women as second class citizens because New York won't"

That's you. 

Okay this is a strawman but a damn funny one at that.  I'll allow it to stand. /s

57 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

I think post-Roe decisions underscore how poor a decision Roe was in terms of objective legal reasoning. I think the same about post-Miranda decisions. Not to open a can of worms…. Just my opinion.

Hold up... You think Miranda was wrongfully decided? Next you are gonna tell me you don't think Katz was decided correctly... Who needs a reasonable expectation of privacy anyways?

6 minutes ago, Didba said:

Hold up... You think Miranda was wrongfully decided? Next you are gonna tell me you don't think Katz was decided correctly... Who needs a reasonable expectation of privacy anyways?

I think Miranda is narrower than its succession of cases have ruled, based on the majority opinion.  

17 minutes ago, Didba said:

Well the Court strictly ruled that laws banning bigamy, and incest as constitutional but I shouldn't expect you to know important SCOTUS cases when we are discussing SCOTUS cases.

Okay, don’t.

• Haha 1

The pro life people are just anti abortion folks. Yes, I talk about the hypocrisy of the left with this topic but let’s not forget that the right acts all righteous about this subject. I mean look at the laws of many states…..let’s say they ban abortions and a 16 year old has to have this child. A 16 year old person cannot go and adopt a baby at that age. Hmmmm….so what we are saying is we don’t think you are capable of raising a child…..but let’s force you to have a child….or at the very minimal let’s force you to have a child and put her/him into a system that’s messed up and already over taxed in the first place. 

F-Ing get your religious views out of politics just because  it makes you feel better about the sins you do yourself. I personally don’t believe in abortion, but it’s not me that has to answer that at  the pearly gates. 

Edited by wdefromtx
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

Okay, don’t.

Hoenstly, that's fair.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

I think Miranda is narrower than its succession of cases have ruled, based on the majority opinion.  

How is it narrower?  I have honestly not heard anyone speak to Miranda's narrowness so I am genuinely curious.

3 hours ago, Didba said:

I think most reasonable pro-choice people would be fine with abortion limited to a time period that allows women to know they are pregnant and make an informed choice to abort or not.  Probably sometime between 6-12 weeks.  If you go to low say like 4 weeks, most women won't find out they are pregnant until its past the time they can get an abortion.

No one has said anything but this. Why would you repeat like someone was? 

36 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

No one has said anything but this. Why would you repeat like someone was? 

I am sorry, I am not sure what you are asking.

5 hours ago, Didba said:

I am sorry, I am not sure what you are asking.

I am sorry, I am not sure what you are saying????

• Angry 1

Maybe this is my ignorance, but I always had the train of thought that once the Supreme Court ruled on a subject it was set in stone and could not be overturned in the future.  As a pro-life person, that is what I do not like, is that they undid the ruling.

Like my view on guns, I have somewhat of an interesting stance on abortion, if anyone is willing to read my thoughts on here.  I want to repeat what I said above that the law should not have been overturned, or allowed to be overturned.  I think once the Supreme Court rules, it is law and in stone.

I do not agree with abortion, unless it is rape or incest.  I am in the belief that if it is not rape, sex is a choice and how safely you choose to go about it.  Pregnancy is a consequence of it, which can be a wonderful thing.  Too many people these days in general, do not want to take responsibility for their actions.  NOW, having said this, I think the men need to be held at least financially responsible.  You do not get the option to walk away from your baby.  Just like I said above, sex is a choice the man also made and should be held accountable.

So, if we take away abortion, we need to add a law to force the fathers to at the minimum financially support the baby and the mother.  No more dead-beat dads.  You don't get the choice to be a coward and run away.

13 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

Sure, they would love to see needless abortion eliminated.

All else said nothing more than your opinion and attitude.......

........ which is based on history and the reality of the human condition.

Edited by homersapien

12 hours ago, NolaAuTiger said:

I think post-Roe decisions underscore how poor a decision Roe was in terms of objective legal reasoning. I think the same about post-Miranda decisions. Not to open a can of worms…. Just my opinion.

Prohibiting the government from intervening into one's basic right of privacy and autonomy concerning reproductive behavior is "poor legal reasoning"?

You call yourself a "conservative"?

Edited by homersapien
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

Sure, they would love to see needless abortion eliminated.

All else said nothing more than your opinion and attitude.

And speaking of "opinion and attitude", exactly what gives you the right to dictate to a woman what is "needless" regarding her choice to get an abortion?

Edited by homersapien

13 hours ago, NolaAuTiger said:

I would agree, in terms of legal reasoning.  The Court was attempting to find a sense of middle ground, something that is very much the role of the legislative branch.  Unfortunately, we have seen little effective leadership on issues as controversial as abortion. The argument could be made that the system is designed to discourage compromise in that way, but I believe it is simply symptomatic of American political divisiveness.

On 6/24/2022 at 5:53 PM, PUB78 said:

I support abortion if it is rape, incest or the mothers life is in jeopardy.

So, apparently, your belief that a fertilized egg is an autonomous human being is actually contingent on your arbitrary opinion regarding rape, incest and the relative importance of the mother's life.

So, why should your opinion take precedence over the woman's opinion, who is after all, the principal in this?

Edited by homersapien

1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

Like my view on guns, I have somewhat of an interesting stance on abortion, if anyone is willing to read my thoughts on here.  I want to repeat what I said above that the law should not have been overturned, or allowed to be overturned.  I think once the Supreme Court rules, it is law and in stone.

I do not agree with abortion, unless it is rape or incest.  I am in the belief that if it is not rape, sex is a choice and how safely you choose to go about it.  Pregnancy is a consequence of it, which can be a wonderful thing.  Too many people these days in general, do not want to take responsibility for their actions.  NOW, having said this, I think the men need to be held at least financially responsible.  You do not get the option to walk away from your baby.  Just like I said above, sex is a choice the man also made and should be held accountable.

So, if we take away abortion, we need to add a law to force the fathers to at the minimum financially support the baby and the mother.  No more dead-beat dads.  You don't get the choice to be a coward and run away.

We have some of the most strict laws in the world requiring child support and also forcing a non paying parent to re-pay government aid given to mothers when the father isn't paying that support.  Child support is the only area of debt that we actually have debtors sent to prison.  I'm not certain what else could be done legally.

11 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

Drunk David hack your account?

😂. I tip my cap.

11 hours ago, wdefromtx said:

I thought it was Mussolini that did that?!?! lol 

One of the two built a great car.

On 6/25/2022 at 11:27 AM, I_M4_AU said:

For a man that does not believe in God you probably don’t understand the nuances.  I was thanking God, at that moment of the choosing of justices, that Trump was the President.  It does not mean I believe God bestowed Trump with some saint hood or ordained power to run the Country.

Yeah, right.

"Thank God for Trump."  is sooooooo  nuanced.   :party:       :laugh:

• Love 1

12 hours ago, Didba said:

Okay this is a strawman but a damn funny one at that.  I'll allow it to stand. /s

More of a reductio ad absurdum, and not in and of itself a fallacy. 

A strawman requires misrepresentation. 

9 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

We have some of the most strict laws in the world requiring child support and also forcing a non paying parent to re-pay government aid given to mothers when the father isn't paying that support.  Child support is the only area of debt that we actually have debtors sent to prison.  I'm not certain what else could be done legally.

My understanding that if you are not married to the woman that the man can still run away?  Is that incorrect?