36 Hours Later ... and it still Hurts

Indy

I'm sitting here at my desk, and it's 6:15 AM.  Kids are back from Spring Break but do not start arriving until 7:30, so I have some time after preparing for the day.

Like many of you I suspect, I avoided ALL sports outlets from 8PM Saturday night until, well, my drive into school this morning.  Just too painful to rehash, and, quite frankly, it's still too raw for me.  That blackout also included this forum.  I just couldn't bear to read the thoughts and emotions that I undoubtedly shared with all of you so soon after the game. We actually have a protocol on the staff here in my building, and it's called "employ the 24-hour rule"...meaning that you let your emotions settle before dealing with or responding to an issue (usually a parent issue!).  So, now that my 24 hours is up I'm ready.

First off, wow.  How do you put into words what we experienced in that game?  UVA's game plan to challenge our offense out well past the 3-pt line was not a surprise, nor was the fact that their aggressive style of defense would be allowed to dictate the terms of the game.  I saw that happen for YEARS with Bo Ryan and Wisconsin, and we've seen it from UVA since TB arrived.  But that made the final foul call all-the-more puzzling and upsetting, to say the least.  I was at a watch party here in Indianapolis and there were 20+ people in attendance.  When we went down 57-47 we ALL switched seats...it was a mad rush to find a new spot and hope for a rally.  And then 14-0 later AU is up 61-57 with 15 seconds left and we started to believe the unbelievable.  After the shot was missed there were hugs. High fives.  The entire bar was abuzz. 

Secondly, the emotional roller-coaster of that game was something I've only experienced on other time watching collegiate sports.   Someone reached out a hand after Guy missed the shot and I simply looked at him and said, "They called a foul", and like the rest of the Auburn family I watched a chance at a National Championship disappear in three swishes of the net.  I'm not going to stomp about the call, I just wish that in a situation like that where the shot was released and the contact had no bearing on the outcome, well, I just wish that official would have just let the outcome be what it was.  He had the shot.  He got it off.  He missed it.  If that contact was a foul (which it was) then there are about 25 more fouls that needed to be called throughout the entire game. In my opinion a game of this magnitude should NEVER EVER be decided in such a manner that talk of the officiating is dominant, and, well, here we are.  It's a shame and those kids deserved better than that.

Which leads me to my next point.  I could not be prouder of what this team has accomplished and the manner in which they have conducted themselves along the way.  And it starts from the top with CBP and trickles down through the 10th man off the bench.  It was a joy to watch these kids complete with energy, enthusiasm, and heart throughout this season as they mirrored the energy, enthusiasm, and heart they got from their head coach.  I'm pretty certain I saw Anfernee McLemore mouth the words "For Chuma" prior to hitting his two FTs to put Auburn up 61-57...that's the stuff that shows just what this team was all about.  Like I said, they deserved a better outcome than they got on Saturday night, but in the face of such disappointment and emotion I know every one of those kids will be stronger in some way.  CBP stated that they have to trust that there was a reason for all of this, including the outcome, and I have no doubt they will be be stronger in the long-term. 

Think about what had to transpire in the last 10 seconds for Auburn to lose that game and the odds are incredibly long that they would have lost.  hat's an amazing testament to this team and the position they put themselves in.

Finally, wow.  I've stated here a few times that I'm an Indiana University grad that fell in love with Auburn in 1993 while visiting a friend there, and I have never looked back. I cheer for AU with every emotion that I would cheer for Indiana, and this loss is honestly one that I will never truly get over.  Having said that ... I really believe this is one of the things a program has to experience on its rise.  You cannot go from where Auburn Basketball has been to playing for a National Championship without any growing pains, and Saturday night was a significant growing pain.  This is just one piece in building a program and a culture that cultivates and sustains a winning culture and mentality.  I really really believe that this loss, as painful and gut-wrencging as it was, is one that we will point to later on as something that helped push the program to higher levels.

My daughter will be on The Plains this fall as a freshman and I cannot wait to watch her be a part of the Auburn Family and experience some amazing sports programs during her time there.   And as a middle school history teacher I will have kids coming up to me all day to talk about Auburn and what happened, and as tough as it will be to rehash it over-and-over I'll muster a smile.  Why?  Because so many kids in the Hoosier Heartland will be talking to me about AUBURN BASKETBALL!

War Eagle everyone.  And thanks to Bruce and the Boys for a magical ride that showed Auburn fans what it's like to play meaningful basketball games in APRIL!

Very well stated and I think you have spoken for all of us. War Eagle and I too believe brighter days are on the horizon. 

its better today, but that emptiness is there.....i can control the anger toward the bastards in the striped shirts better today, but that will always be there for them.....its the deadness inside thats killing me....i know the game was stolen and the question is "how did they miss that?"....or WHY did they miss that double dribble?...i decided to not watch tonight because it will not do me any good whatsoever...

this hurts me bad....much worse than 2013 did.....the opportunity in basketball for  schools like AU,UA MSU,UT, etc are very rare and to have the damn thing literally stolen due to some worthless bum getting paid to do a job that he didn't do, like in the federal govenment....yeah, doughty got too far inside him, but they let it go all game until then....why call it then?

i now have expectations in basketball to replace those that i used to have in football....oh, i'll still watch the games, pull for AU, bitch about malzahn, and all the while counting the days until basketball season, just like i did this year....

coaches are moving around a lot, big names being mentioned, so its time to lock bruce down until he decides to quit....this is not a situation like football

11 hours ago, Indy said:

I'm sitting here at my desk, and it's 6:15 AM.  Kids are back from Spring Break but do not start arriving until 7:30, so I have some time after preparing for the day.

Like many of you I suspect, I avoided ALL sports outlets from 8PM Saturday night until, well, my drive into school this morning.  Just too painful to rehash, and, quite frankly, it's still too raw for me.  That blackout also included this forum.  I just couldn't bear to read the thoughts and emotions that I undoubtedly shared with all of you so soon after the game. We actually have a protocol on the staff here in my building, and it's called "employ the 24-hour rule"...meaning that you let your emotions settle before dealing with or responding to an issue (usually a parent issue!).  So, now that my 24 hours is up I'm ready.

First off, wow.  How do you put into words what we experienced in that game?  UVA's game plan to challenge our offense out well past the 3-pt line was not a surprise, nor was the fact that their aggressive style of defense would be allowed to dictate the terms of the game.  I saw that happen for YEARS with Bo Ryan and Wisconsin, and we've seen it from UVA since TB arrived.  But that made the final foul call all-the-more puzzling and upsetting, to say the least.  I was at a watch party here in Indianapolis and there were 20+ people in attendance.  When we went down 57-47 we ALL switched seats...it was a mad rush to find a new spot and hope for a rally.  And then 14-0 later AU is up 61-57 with 15 seconds left and we started to believe the unbelievable.  After the shot was missed there were hugs. High fives.  The entire bar was abuzz. 

Secondly, the emotional roller-coaster of that game was something I've only experienced on other time watching collegiate sports.   Someone reached out a hand after Guy missed the shot and I simply looked at him and said, "They called a foul", and like the rest of the Auburn family I watched a chance at a National Championship disappear in three swishes of the net.  I'm not going to stomp about the call, I just wish that in a situation like that where the shot was released and the contact had no bearing on the outcome, well, I just wish that official would have just let the outcome be what it was.  He had the shot.  He got it off.  He missed it.  If that contact was a foul (which it was) then there are about 25 more fouls that needed to be called throughout the entire game. In my opinion a game of this magnitude should NEVER EVER be decided in such a manner that talk of the officiating is dominant, and, well, here we are.  It's a shame and those kids deserved better than that.

Which leads me to my next point.  I could not be prouder of what this team has accomplished and the manner in which they have conducted themselves along the way.  And it starts from the top with CBP and trickles down through the 10th man off the bench.  It was a joy to watch these kids complete with energy, enthusiasm, and heart throughout this season as they mirrored the energy, enthusiasm, and heart they got from their head coach.  I'm pretty certain I saw Anfernee McLemore mouth the words "For Chuma" prior to hitting his two FTs to put Auburn up 61-57...that's the stuff that shows just what this team was all about.  Like I said, they deserved a better outcome than they got on Saturday night, but in the face of such disappointment and emotion I know every one of those kids will be stronger in some way.  CBP stated that they have to trust that there was a reason for all of this, including the outcome, and I have no doubt they will be be stronger in the long-term. 

Think about what had to transpire in the last 10 seconds for Auburn to lose that game and the odds are incredibly long that they would have lost.  hat's an amazing testament to this team and the position they put themselves in.

Finally, wow.  I've stated here a few times that I'm an Indiana University grad that fell in love with Auburn in 1993 while visiting a friend there, and I have never looked back. I cheer for AU with every emotion that I would cheer for Indiana, and this loss is honestly one that I will never truly get over.  Having said that ... I really believe this is one of the things a program has to experience on its rise.  You cannot go from where Auburn Basketball has been to playing for a National Championship without any growing pains, and Saturday night was a significant growing pain.  This is just one piece in building a program and a culture that cultivates and sustains a winning culture and mentality.  I really really believe that this loss, as painful and gut-wrencging as it was, is one that we will point to later on as something that helped push the program to higher levels.

My daughter will be on The Plains this fall as a freshman and I cannot wait to watch her be a part of the Auburn Family and experience some amazing sports programs during her time there.   And as a middle school history teacher I will have kids coming up to me all day to talk about Auburn and what happened, and as tough as it will be to rehash it over-and-over I'll muster a smile.  Why?  Because so many kids in the Hoosier Heartland will be talking to me about AUBURN BASKETBALL!

War Eagle everyone.  And thanks to Bruce and the Boys for a magical ride that showed Auburn fans what it's like to play meaningful basketball games in APRIL!

Teacher to teacher, history-a-phile to another---please post more!! So beautifully written!!!  I feel the same way. Exactly. 

It hurts...STILL. But...this too shall pass. Although I can't even watch highlights from the 2013 FSU game. I'm sad for the kids but I also get excited about whats to come with the new blood coming in. 

Well stated @Indy. Great point about a young program needing the tough lessons to build into prominence.  Why do we think Virginia was so motivated this year? Being the only 1 seed to lose to a 16 seed was a stepping block to push harder this year.  So glad we got there.  That was bigger than anything for recruiting and for the current players to know it can be done @ Auburn. We will be mainstays in the 2nd to 3rd weekend with Bruce,  and I believe we will get one with him here.  

Archived