Emmert Gets a Raise

Tigerbelle

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Real purpose of the piece is keep the Yahoo campaign alive to pay college athletes.....Emmert is over paid in my view but it's a big job and probably guys with jobs like that get paid big money   

The idiot writing the piece obviously has no idea what it would cost the NCAA schools.....that's right...each individual school...to pay the 300 or so scholarship athletes at each school....or where that money might come from...not from the NCAA since most of it's income goes back to the schools for scholarships and the cost of holding championships for non-revenue sports and stuff like that.

The question in my mind is not about how much he gets paid.....but how has this guy managed to keep his job with the various scandals.   Probably it is because lazy university presidents  do not want to shake a tree that is bearing good fruit. 

5 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Real purpose of the piece is keep the Yahoo campaign alive to pay college athletes.....Emmert is over paid in my view but it's a big job and probably guys with jobs like that get paid big money   

The idiot writing the piece obviously has no idea what it would cost the NCAA schools.....that's right...each individual school...to pay the 300 or so scholarship athletes at each school....or where that money might come from...not from the NCAA since most of it's income goes back to the schools for scholarships and the cost of holding championships for non-revenue sports and stuff like that.

The question in my mind is not about how much he gets paid.....but how has this guy managed to keep his job with the various scandals.   Probably it is because lazy university presidents  do not want to shake a tree that is bearing good fruit. 

Doesn't even deserve to be opened. 

WAR EAGLE!!!

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

I think the idea is to let athletes earn money by endorsements and selling autographs....etc. The schools can afford to pay Emmert a huge salary he doesn't deserve and give him an unearned raise but college athletes had to beg the NCAA just to get enough to eat. These kids for the most part are poor and their families are struggling. Why would anyone object to an athlete selling his autograph or getting paid to make an appearance. The coaches do it. Other scholarship students can make money from their talents and not get in trouble. There should be a way to make it work for the athletes.

6 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

I think the idea is to let athletes earn money by endorsements and selling autographs....etc. The schools can afford to pay Emmert a huge salary he doesn't deserve and give him an unearned raise but college athletes had to beg the NCAA just to get enough to eat. These kids for the most part are poor and their families are struggling. Why would anyone object to an athlete selling his autograph or getting paid to make an appearance. The coaches do it. Other scholarship students can make money from their talents and not get in trouble. There should be a way to make it work for the athletes.

Athletes poor?  How do you know?....bet most are very middle class...but beyond that issue the you know that there would be no equitable system....a couple dozen players making money and thousands getting nothing.  You really need to think this through.  What coaches do has nothing to do with this issue....they are employees....totally different.

3 hours ago, AU64 said:

Athletes poor?  How do you know?....bet most are very middle class...but beyond that issue the you know that there would be no equitable system....a couple dozen players making money and thousands getting nothing.  You really need to think this through.  What coaches do has nothing to do with this issue....they are employees....totally different.

These kids know how the system is set up before they sign. I  just don't get why people keep trying to change every aspect of our society. 

Amateur- a person who engages in a pursuit , especially a sport , on an unpaid rather than a professional basis. 

Like AU64 says...coaches are a paid employee. 

WAR EAGLE!!!

5 hours ago, Tigerbelle said:

Athletes getting ridiculous money for autographs is just another unregulated way of paying players.

6 hours ago, Tigerbelle said:

Because the recruiting pitch, and indeed with the portal setup, the retaining pitch will be, "My school's bosters will pay you $20,000 each for five autographs every year you play here. There will be more of your autographs bought at that price if you make all-conference and still more if you make all-American. Can Podunk U match that?"

It would be The End Of Things As We Know Them.

All I know old rich  men that can't jump over the crack of a sidewalk shouldn't net most of the revenue that comes from watching the abilities of young athletes....

12 minutes ago, cole256 said:

All I know old rich  men that can't jump over the crack of a sidewalk shouldn't net most of the revenue that comes from watching the abilities of young athletes....

That can basically be said with any big business entity though. Bet the person who runs General Motors can’t break a car down and rebuild it. The President of Capital Records can’t sing a lick. Etc and so forth.  :)  

14 hours ago, Mikey said:

Because the recruiting pitch, and indeed with the portal setup, the retaining pitch will be, "My school's bosters will pay you $20,000 each for five autographs every year you play here. There will be more of your autographs bought at that price if you make all-conference and still more if you make all-American. Can Podunk U match that?"

It would be The End Of Things As We Know Them.

Boosters are doing that now. Today. Boosters are moving entire families and giving them jobs, homes.....cars. The problem is that those universities who try to stay within the NCAA rules are not able to compete for recruits so they try to survive in the shady areas.  And look at Ole Miss. The NCAA cherrypicks the schools that they punish.Your doomsday scenario already exists. Emmert knows that and he has turned a blind eye. Nick Saban is the coach who took that to the top level of corruption because he has protection within the NCAA. Basketball would've remained corrupt if the FBI hadn't gotten involved. Emmert has no desire to clean up college sports. 

If you allowed athletes to earn some kind of decent income, then the corruption would actually be much less because the athletes would have less need to be exploited. And they are exploited in many instances whether that's recognized or not. 

If universities allow full ride scholars to earn money from their talents outside of school......then athletes should have that same opportunity. 

16 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

Athletes getting ridiculous money for autographs is just another unregulated way of paying players.

Unregulated? That's almost funny. It's already being done NOW but the kid with the signature isn't allowed to openly receive any money. T-Town Menswear anybody?  There's already a market so why not stop being hypocritical about it......

Would you say the same thing if a talented art student with a scholarship sold a painting for a high price? Or if a music scholar was able to sign a record deal worth lots of money or  how about selling CD's and t-shirts while working in a bar band?  They are all allowed to do that while going to college for free. An athlete who can't work due to the demands of his or her sport should be allowed to earn money from their talent as well. Selling sports memorabilia should include a payment to the athlete who did all the work and made it possible.

18 hours ago, SlocombTiger said:

These kids know how the system is set up before they sign. I  just don't get why people keep trying to change every aspect of our society. 

Amateur- a person who engages in a pursuit , especially a sport , on an unpaid rather than a professional basis. 

Like AU64 says...coaches are a paid employee. 

WAR EAGLE!!!

Just because there's a "system" doesn't make it a good one. Change happens when the "system" doesn't work anymore, or when those who were exploited by that system decide they've had enough. That day is coming. 

The "system" we have now allows bammer and the basketball blue bloods to have a huge advantage over everyone else. The NCAA is corrupt and inept, and putting the student athlete first is a joke. 

21 hours ago, AU64 said:

Many of them are poor. Many of them have children to support. 

10 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

Give me some stats....bet it's not more than a handful on any team and how many of those guys are gonna make any money from their autographs?  unless some alum wants to pay a $1000 for it.      If they have kids, there are social service benefits available to them and I bet someone in the AD is making sure they get them...unless they are not married which I think can be the case too.  

A few like Zion or Cam for example have star power that could ;make money for them....but look at our roster last year or the coming year and tell me how instances would you pay for an autograph and how much the real "market value" would be unless you were trying to find a way to donate money to them. .   That idea is an open door to corruption ...JMO

Meanwhile, for about 98% + of NCAA athletes the system works just fine....they get a fully paid scholarship with living expenses, and get to play a game they really like to play..... and graduate with a valuable lifetime asset and maybe no serious debt from paying their college expenses.    

21 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

It's a poor decision to have children before you can financially support them. 

WAR EAGLE!!!

1 hour ago, Tigerbelle said:

Unregulated? That's almost funny. It's already being done NOW but the kid with the signature isn't allowed to openly receive any money. T-Town Menswear anybody?  There's already a market so why not stop being hypocritical about it......

Would you say the same thing if a talented art student with a scholarship sold a painting for a high price? Or if a music scholar was able to sign a record deal worth lots of money or  how about selling CD's and t-shirts while working in a bar band?  They are all allowed to do that while going to college for free. An athlete who can't work due to the demands of his or her sport should be allowed to earn money from their talent as well. Selling sports memorabilia should include a payment to the athlete who did all the work and made it possible.

After eligibility he can sign all the autographs and sell all the shirts he wants. I’d rather see a sizable fund set up in a trust to address lifelong medical issues and continuing education opportunities for all players, not just the ones who are marketable for a few short years.

26 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

Just because there's a "system" doesn't make it a good one. Change happens when the "system" doesn't work anymore, or when those who were exploited by that system decide they've had enough. That day is coming. 

The "system" we have now allows bammer and the basketball blue bloods to have a huge advantage over everyone else. The NCAA is corrupt and inept, and putting the student athlete first is a joke. 

I know this won't be received well but that's okay too. I've been a sports fan all of my 52 years but some of the crap you hear today is absolutely absurd IMHO. 

The system WILL ABSOLUTELY work if ran correctly. Emmert is scum and of course it will be to others advantage until college athletics are cleaned up from the top down. But to turn in a direction away from amateurism is a huge mistake. I  have a daughter who wanted to be the first in our family to attend Auburn but unfortunately she didn't get the opportunity. She had the grades but wasn't born with a silver spoon in her mouth. She would have been in heaven had she gotten the opportunity to play softball at Auburn on a PARTIAL scholarship much less a full ride. She did realize her dream of playing JUCO and getting part of her education paid for. Instead of making this about the poor disenfranchised athletes making all of this money for these old guys in suits let's get their asses in the classroom and get the freaking education they are being offered that so many other kids never get the chance to have. If it's all about money change the system to where the ELITE athletes go straight to the pros. I'm so freaking tired of people belly aching about these kids not getting paid when so many take up space in a classroom that someone WANTING an education could be sitting in. 

Stepping down off my soap box now. 

WAR EAGLE!!!

7 hours ago, NoALtiger said:

That can basically be said with any big business entity though. Bet the person who runs General Motors can’t break a car down and rebuild it. The President of Capital Records can’t sing a lick. Etc and so forth.  :)  

But I bet the best singers are millionaires.....I bet you can't get them to do it for free. Or just for a little....music industry is a great example though.....so much theft and illegitimate business was done to put the people that are in power in that spot.

14 hours ago, cole256 said:

But I bet the best singers are millionaires.....I bet you can't get them to do it for free. Or just for a little....music industry is a great example though.....so much theft and illegitimate business was done to put the people that are in power in that spot.

Tim McGraw threw a free concert when the draft was in Nashville

Zac brown runs camp southern ground which is for special needs children and wounded veterans.  He does benefit concerts routinely and also gives proceeds from all of his concerts to that foundation.  He also uses it to promote veteran run businesses.

I’m sure there is a plethora of other examples.

3 hours ago, arein0 said:

Tim McGraw threw a free concert when the draft was in Nashville

Think about your post lol

26 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

Zac brown runs camp southern ground which is for special needs children and wounded veterans.  He does benefit concerts routinely and also gives proceeds from all of his concerts to that foundation.  He also uses it to promote veteran run businesses.

I’m sure there is a plethora of other examples.

You think I'm talking about a concert or was I talking about an occupation? I don't know who this guy is but you think he could do a free concert for free without making money first? 

Football and basketball players do camps for free.....just about every celebrity does come type of charity but the question is do you work for free? Do they? 

Archived