All Things 2019 QB Talk

countoff

Just now, McLoofus said:

Whoa. Nice. 

Bo is a natural leader like Baker, has more accuracy that Baker and isn't a ahole on and off the field like Baker. If Bo is as much of a competitor as Baker, BOOM.

• Replies 777
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Bo is a natural leader like Baker, has more accuracy that Baker and isn't a ahole on and off the field like Baker. If Bo is as much of a competitor as Baker, BOOM.

I usually don't do comparisons but if Bo pans out I could see him being Aaron Rogers light. A guy that can pass great, give the defense fits scrambling on designed pass plays, & An effective runner on enough run plays to keep teams honest.

7 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I usually don't do comparisons but if Bo pans out I could see him being Aaron Rogers light. A guy that can pass great, give the defense fits scrambling on designed pass plays, & An effective runner on enough run plays to keep teams honest.

I didn't realize that he didn't get sacked his entire senior season until the playoffs. That's nuts. And he definitely has some ARod plays on film. 

17 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Baker is my man crush and was one of the first things I said when Bo came on board. Watch Baker Mayfield film please. Baker had close to a 70 percent completion rate during his time at OU. I hope you are correct about accuracy and more importantly about attitude, although I liked Mayfield’s cockiness. 

Everyone knows how much I love Bo Nix.  Been following him for a long time now and I would love to see him as starter.  I will mention one thing that many on here may have forgotten about Gatewood:  Joey Gatewood played Trevor Lawrence in high school and Gatewood showed out that game.  His team lost to Lawrence in a close game, but Gatewood graded out pretty close to Lawrence.  Either way, I think we are on good legs with either QB starting for us.

In baseball you have right handed pitchers and left handed pitchers. If you bring in a right handed pitcher the other team adjusted their batting order same for a left handed pitcher, but at the end of the day the offensive team is still either better against the righty or lefty. Same with football most defenses will either be better against the run or against the throw. Better against inside runs or outside runs, depending on line size and backfield speed. I suspect our defense this year will be better against the run. That said I would think you could definitely use two quarterback that had different abilities to your advantage . This could also be a factor early in a half or later when the defense tired. Remember Cam ( both of them) were not speed demons but if your fourth quarter and got a lead they were a great answer with 3 yards and a cloud of dust. Goal line bring in Joey. Early on hit them quick with Bo. Fourth quarter with the lead run Joey. Fourth quarter down two scores bring in Bo. Not really rocket science. And definitely no swapping every possession. 

4 hours ago, alexava said:

I’m still predicting Bo. I don’t think it’ll even be a close race. 

I’m betting your not even close . I think Joey will start against Oregon and I bet that Bo will be ok with it. Both will play against the Ducks. Again hopefully not every other possession. 

We are fortunate to have not only two very good quarterback but a third older one waiting in the wind that can give us a decent back should either go down ( and hopefully they won’t). QB talent won’t lose games for us this year in fact I don’t think we are without talent at any position including special teams. I think our depth across the board is as good as I have seen it in a long time. I think this team talent wise stacks up to the 2004, 2010 and the 2013. Now It’s all about mental toughness, team chemistry and coaches putting them in a good position. And most of all about leadership. I already see leadership  happening on Defense with the senior DLs and Brit at LB and Thomas in the DB group. Need to see the offense move that way too. Chandler Cox was a big leader on offense last year we need to see someone take his place. Here’s hoping. WDE

2 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

We are fortunate to have not only two very good quarterback but a third older one waiting in the wind that can give us a decent back should either go down ( and hopefully they won’t). QB talent won’t lose games for us this year in fact I don’t think we are without talent at any position including special teams. I think our depth across the board is as good as I have seen it in a long time. I think this team talent wise stacks up to the 2004, 2010 and the 2013. Now It’s all about mental toughness, team chemistry and coaches putting them in a good position. And most of all about leadership. I already see leadership  happening on Defense with the senior DLs and Brit at LB and Thomas in the DB group. Need to see the offense move that way too. Chandler Cox was a big leader on offense last year we need to see someone take his place. Here’s hoping. WDE

If we are at a point where we are in need of our “third qb” then Gus definitely deserves some leeway this year.

7 minutes ago, DAG said:

If we are at a point where we are in need of our “third qb” then Gus definitely deserves some leeway this year.

What I meant is usually sometime during the season you might lose 1 of the top two or he is just banged up enough you prefer not to play him in grub time and you want to get your lead guy out so as not to injury him. It is nice to have an older mature guy that has the ability to come in and make good decisions in a case like that. He has talent, maybe not Heismen type but very solid and trustworthy not to make critical errors. In today’s world having a guy like that is critical . 

4 hours ago, alexava said:

I’m still predicting Bo. I don’t think it’ll even be a close race. 

What makes you think it won't be close?

27 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

It’s already close, right. 1a & 1b after spring.

21 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

I saw several hs games Bo played. I saw less of Joey but he played qb much less. I just think Bo will progress faster once he gets more time in the system. He was a full year behind this spring and they were pretty close. More reps, more confidence. His accuracy, elusiveness is more inherent than learned. It’s all just a hunch for me and everyone else really. 

I like Joey too. I love the idea of having a full 6’5” 235 lber that’s So athletic. Ideally he would be the better fit because of his size and ability. I just don’t know how much of the instinctive qualities he has, mainly because I didn’t see as much. 

4 minutes ago, toddc said:

It’s close now. That’s why I said it won’t be close. Bo will start pulling away. When it’s announced I think we will have already heard that it’s Bo all the way. 

I can handle being wrong too. I had TRollison beating Cam out. Lol. 

You guys really making it hard for Bo.....I thought Joey had it bad for being tall and African American that he was going to be cam......with Bo it's even worse...Aaron Rodgers, Baker Mayfield, and Trevor Lawrence......man

20 minutes ago, cole256 said:

You guys really making it hard for Bo.....I thought Joey had it bad for being tall and African American that he was going to be cam......with Bo it's even worse...Aaron Rodgers, Baker Mayfield, and Trevor Lawrence......man

We all need to understand they are BOTH freshmen. They gonna need a couple seasons to be Cam and A, A Ron. 

11 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Yes, it would be a huge surprise. Put it this way. Shaun Shivers being another Barry Sanders is significantly more likely. 

That’s a stretch.  TL had arguably the best TF season ever.  (at least winning the NC as a TF), but Barry Sanders is the greatest RB of all time!  To suggest that Worm (with the huge amount of potential he has) is SIGNIFICANTLY more likely to be the next greatest RB ever, than it is for Bo to have a really good TF year is a giant leap.  

2 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

That’s a stretch.  TL had arguably the best TF season ever.  (at least winning the NC as a TF), but Barry Sanders is the greatest RB of all time!  To suggest that Worm (with the huge amount of potential he has) is SIGNIFICANTLY more likely to be the next greatest RB ever, than it is for Bo to have a really good TF year is a giant leap.  

Nah. I stand by it. Especially when you look at what type of athletes the two pairs are. 

48 minutes ago, alexava said:

It’s close now. That’s why I said it won’t be close. Bo will start pulling away. When it’s announced I think we will have already heard that it’s Bo all the way. 

I can handle being wrong too. I had TRollison beating Cam out. Lol. 

The job's Joey's.

2 hours ago, toddc said:

Despite what is being reported publicly about it being close, behind the scenes Joey has taken control. It would take an injury to him or something special from Bo in Fall camp for Joey to not be QB1. The most interesting thing now about our QB sitch is does Bo get his own package to run in most of the games?

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

I said A Rod light if he pans out, meaning he has to progress to get there. I don't like one more than the other. That's just the potential I see in him.

And nobody's making it hard for Bo. If he has a good or bad career it won't have any effect coming from anyone's opinions posted on an AU message board.

5 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Despite what is being reported publicly about it being close, behind the scenes Joey has taken control. It would take an injury to him or something special from Bo in Fall camp for Joey to not be QB1.

I’m predicting the latter. 

Archived