All Things 2019 QB Talk

countoff

39 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I just want to win. I don't care who leads us there. I haven't seen enough from either to really determine who that might be.

I love Bo's accuracy, pocket awareness, calmness, and the way he keeps his eyes down field to make a play. I also love Joey's size, running potential, and clamness. Joey's running potential can be a game changer.

No matter who the QB is, they need to consistently make the throw when it's 3rd and 7+ and the D drops 8. Dual threat QBs are great and make offenses much more dynamic if they are truly Dual. I think both of the QBs we have are.  Competition strengthens everyone. No matter who wins, they will be stronger because of the other.

I've been told it's Joey.

Your first statement should pretty much trump any and all arguments. If we are winning, what does it matter if Gus talks up QBs, who is the QB, who is calling in plays, etc? It won’t . Things like this only matter when we are losing .

i just got done watching the fourth season of last chance U and it’s hilarious how perception changes once you start losing. 

• Replies 777
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, kd4au said:

Do we know this for sure, or was that just the rumor?

He got his number pulled. It’s true. I was seriously wondering if he’d stick around. 

54 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I don't remember which year it was, but I remember right after signing day one year when he stood at a podium and broke down the class player by player. It seemed like literally every single kid was "the best in the country" or "the fastest in the country" or "makes the best ramen noodles in the country". I get it. I get why players love him. I get that he wants to sell the program. But I don't think that's the most effective way to go about it. Also, it devalues his words. 

Is there anything that he does do right?

29 minutes ago, kd4au said:

Do we know this for sure, or was that just the rumor?

Technically rumor by definition standards but came from many people connected to the Program including Hunter48 & WDE.

ETA: If @aujeff11 says it's true then there must be an article on it. lol

7 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I was seriously wondering if he’d stick around.

As did many of us.

• ellitor changed the title to All Things 2019 QB Talk
6 minutes ago, ellitor said:

ETA: If @aujeff11 says it's true then there must be an article on it. lol

You got to think...He got his number pulled and then given back to him this spring. Why get his number pulled?

Plus Gus has said he has matured and completely changed his approach. This here doesn’t confirm he was in the doghouse but it makes it more plausible. 

https://www.theplainsman.com/article/2019/03/auburn-qb-joey-gatewood-impressing-coaches-in-spring-practice

I dont think Gatewood did anything especially bad last year. He probably went into spring practice and fall camp knowing Stidham was full time starter and just relaxed and went through the motions. 

On the bright side (and not reaching conclusions😉), but it's really good to have a promising, competent "backup" in the SEC if your 6'5" 240 lb starting QB runs a lot against 6'3"-5" 250-300lb SEC defenders that live to hurt QBs. I think it's called involuntary QB rotation.🤪

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Another thing to consider is that Joey was a key figure in his recruiting class- the same class that included Shivers, Schwartz and Williams, among others. Pretty sure Joey was one of the first in that class to commit and was a huge recruiter for us throughout the process. He was one of those charismatic guys that all the other guys gravitated towards in camps and such. He's been a leader for Auburn- and the aforementioned nucleus of our offense have been together- for almost 2 years now. Furthermore, he got himself in the doghouse early on last year and eventually worked himself out of it by season's end. That probably earned him even more respect in the locker room.

Bo is also that kind of guy. He has that swag and natural leadership and will run that locker room one day. But Joey might be a big hill for Bo to climb before Labor Day. 

On 1/12/2016 at 9:34 AM, cole256 said:

I might really cry if we can't keep him. If we do well on offense I think we might. We need a new breed superstar and he's the leader right now. The all star camp circuits already know this as well. He can easily be the face of an entire program

Oh, Jesus. Gus gets complimented constantly- by me and by most of his critics- for numerous things that I/we believe he does right. Go whine somewhere else.

As for doghouse rumors, you're almost never going to hear it confirmed publicly until a kid is off the team. It usually only requires a little bit of deductive reasoning to figure out the deal. And Gus's doghouse is very spacious. Yet, some around here get awfully emotional about the topic.

Obviously I'm not talking about you, @kd4au. Very reasonable question, especially since there were barely any spare reps for Joey last year and it made way more sense to preserve his redshirt anyway. 

Just now, cole256 said:

Don't worry. I won't tell anybody that you are the founder and president of the club. I know some folks don't really have much to hang their hats on and need that W worse than you do. 

Seriously though, nice pull on that. I remember the talk at the time. It's why we were all so shocked at what we were hearing last year. Joey's that dude. You were right all along. I feel terrible for jumping off the bandwagon. 

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

Is there anything that he does do right?

Contract negotiation.

20 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Don't worry. I won't tell anybody that you are the founder and president of the club. I know some folks don't really have much to hang their hats on and need that W worse than you do. 

Seriously though, nice pull on that. I remember the talk at the time. It's why we were all so shocked at what we were hearing last year. Joey's that dude. You were right all along. I feel terrible for jumping off the bandwagon. 

funny-salty-meme.jpg

7 minutes ago, The Freak said:

Contract negotiation.

That is a strong arse unifying point from both sides of the aisle. Remember, we were hammered home market rate this market rate that. Not everyone choose to voluntarily take such an idea of a record of 8-4 = 49 million as their own..

4 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I wish there were more than 1 redshirt year separating these guys in age. 

Same. I know this won’t happen but if they keep BN to only playing in 4 games we could RS him but if it’s JG this year then he’s likely our starting QB for at least another 2 years after this one and leaves as a RS Jr. don’t think BN would wait that long if he’s as good as advertised which I hope he is. Time will tell. 

6 minutes ago, tbone1430 said:

Same. I know this won’t happen but if they keep BN to only playing in 4 games we could RS him but if it’s JG this year then he’s likely our starting QB for at least another 2 years after this one and leaves as a RS Jr. don’t think BN would wait that long if he’s as good as advertised which I hope he is. Time will tell. 

Yup. Lots of hypothetical there though and predicting AU QBs timelines are like predicting lotto numbers

Just now, Tiger said:

Yup. Lots of hypothetical there though and predicting AU QBs timelines are like predicting lotto numbers

Unfortunately haven’t been good with either or we’d have been able to get big game Bob as our coach 😂

2 minutes ago, tbone1430 said:

Unfortunately haven’t been good with either or we’d have been able to get big game Bob as our coach 😂

I wouldn't shut the door on the Stoops thing just yet. Let's see what we are looking like by Halloween. You may have made the long call

4 hours ago, Tiger said:

I wouldn't shut the door on the Stoops thing just yet. Let's see what we are looking like by Halloween. You may have made the long call

We are getting James franklin bro lol 

21 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

I’m betting your not even close . I think Joey will start against Oregon and I bet that Bo will be ok with it. Both will play against the Ducks. Again hopefully not every other possession. 

Malzahn explicitly stated he doesn't want a 2 QB system. I see that as very telling.

The quote could just be classic Gus with purposeful misinformation. But I don't think so. It wouldn't affect Oregon's gameplan, as they still have to plan for both.

I think Gus is being truthful. He wants 1 QB. Now, until that quote, I was predicting a 75/25 Joey to Bo ratio. But if it's only going to be one guy, then I predict Bo. Here's why.

I think that Gus realizes what a talent Bo is. He may not be fully ready to be 'the guy' by game 1, but he knows it's inevitable. Seeing as it's a make or break year, I think Gus is putting all his chips in with Bo. If Bo looks promising, and progresses as the year goes on, it could be a powerful incentice to force Auburn to keep Gus. The argument from Gus will be "look at Bo, look how much he is progressing, he could bring us titles. Don't stifle him him with a new coach/system." It's no different than when an NFL staff is kept to help a young, budding QB with consistency. 

Archived