All Things 2019 QB Talk

countoff

8 minutes ago, DAG said:

We are getting James franklin bro lol 

Yesssssss, another coach who struggles in big important games against good teams. 

• Replies 777
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have not been shy in stating that I think Bo Nix is the best HS QB that we have signed in... well,  forever. He looks better than Campbell coming out of HS IMO. He is smart, has good technique, accurate, poised, and quicker than most think. He is a scrambler with the ability to scan the field and hit guys on the run. He has a good arm. And one big key - he is a WINNER - Multiple state titles. I think that is important. For once we do not need to take an athlete from an average HS team and mold him into a winning QB - he already is one. Also I love that he was raised from birth to 1) play qb and 2) love Auburn. 

However, the thought of another 6'4 245 lb QB that can run over people and throw makes me giddy. I understand that Joey has been impressive and is probably ahead at the moment. I am a little hesitant because he was a part time QB in HS and frankly he is an unknown (passer). We have not seen him throw much at all. I really wish we were able to see Joey play more in the bowl game... like the entire second half. But all that being said - if he TRULY has developed into an accurate passer, he will be a game changer because everyone has to respect him running. 

For the first time since Gus has been at AU, it sounds like he actually has 2 very good options at QB. I am excited to see how this plays out. 

28 minutes ago, WalkingCarpet said:

Yesssssss, another coach who struggles in big important games against good teams. 

Can we has Ed O?

If you gonna have a running QB (other than a physical freak aka Cam Newton) you better have a great backup.  So I feel good about whoever wins the starting job because the team will be able to move on in case of injury.  Joey is obviously the more physically imposing athlete but Bo looks like he is a sneaky good runner.  I also like the way Bo keeps his eyes down the field when the rush is getting to him.  That is the biggest flaw we saw in Stidham’s game when the Oline was taking time to to gel last year.  

Final 4 in basketball, CWS in baseball, and deciding between two stud QBs in football. First world 🌎 issues. WDE🦅

15 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Malzahn explicitly stated he doesn't want a 2 QB system. I see that as very telling.

The quote could just be classic Gus with purposeful misinformation. But I don't think so. It wouldn't affect Oregon's gameplan, as they still have to plan for both.

I think Gus is being truthful. He wants 1 QB. Now, until that quote, I was predicting a 75/25 Joey to Bo ratio. But if it's only going to be one guy, then I predict Bo. Here's why.

I think that Gus realizes what a talent Bo is. He may not be fully ready to be 'the guy' by game 1, but he knows it's inevitable. Seeing as it's a make or break year, I think Gus is putting all his chips in with Bo. If Bo looks promising, and progresses as the year goes on, it could be a powerful incentice to force Auburn to keep Gus. The argument from Gus will be "look at Bo, look how much he is progressing, he could bring us titles. Don't stifle him him with a new coach/system." It's no different than when an NFL staff is kept to help a young, budding QB with consistency. 

It may not be a mater of what Gus wants. In today’s college football with the new portal, it is either use them or lose them. Not going to find quality players willing to sit the bench. Just what it is.

I think some on here are forgetting Gus’s track record. Unless something drastic happens he always sides on the veteran over the younger guy. He believes that someone who has spent a year like Joey in the backup spot deserves a shot ahead of the newcomer. Whether you agree or not he will normally go with the uperclassman, in this case Joey. Also I think Bo is mature enough to be willing to pay his dues and wait. He indicated as such last winter when he arrived at AU. 

9 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

I think some on here are forgetting Gus’s track record. Unless something drastic happens he always sides on the veteran over the younger guy. He believes that someone who has spent a year like Joey in the backup spot deserves a shot ahead of the newcomer. Whether you agree or not he will normally go with the uperclassman, in this case Joey. Also I think Bo is mature enough to be willing to pay his dues and wait. He indicated as such last winter when he arrived at AU. 

And in this case, I side with Gus. I really do think it means something that Joey, Worm, Seth and Schwartz are all in the same signing class, along with some others. Also, I think it means something that Joey has already been on a classic Auburn roller coaster ride. Normally a RS FR vs a true FR would seem like a toss-up, but this might be a very particular set of circumstances. As they always are with this team. 

23 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Oh, Jesus. Gus gets complimented constantly- by me and by most of his critics- for numerous things that I/we believe he does right. Go whine somewhere else.

As for doghouse rumors, you're almost never going to hear it confirmed publicly until a kid is off the team. It usually only requires a little bit of deductive reasoning to figure out the deal. And Gus's doghouse is very spacious. Yet, some around here get awfully emotional about the topic.

Obviously I'm not talking about you, @kd4au. Very reasonable question, especially since there were barely any spare reps for Joey last year and it made way more sense to preserve his redshirt anyway. 

One reason I asked the ? was that people are quick to say that a player is in the doghouse if he isn't playing. I thought I remembered seeing something about JG getting injured in fall camp or early season last year, but I could be wrong. 

3 minutes ago, kd4au said:

One reason I asked the ? was that people are quick to say that a player is in the doghouse if he isn't playing. I thought I remembered seeing something about JG getting injured in fall camp or early season last year, but I could be wrong. 

IIRC, there was a connection between the injury and falling out of favor with Gus. So I think your info is good.

I'm one who's quick to point out doghouse visits because tickets to Gus's doghouse are cheap and easily acquired. Part of running a tight ship. Doesn't mean they're bad kids. Some folks get awfully emotional about it but it's not a big deal IMO. 

2 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

This is how I see it as well.  It's not like Bo walked into this situation unknowingly.  He knew that his competition would be a RS FR and that it was quite likely he would spend time as a backup before getting the starting position.   His father was well aware of this situation as well, having had to do the same. 

3 hours ago, kd4au said:

I thought I remembered seeing something about JG getting injured in fall camp or early season last year,

@kd4au He did. Injured thumb. He was also in the doghouse though, for his early attitude. He was walking around acting entitled til he humbled himself. That's why he lost his number at one point & why some thought he wouldn't last a year at AU.

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

IIRC, there was a connection between the injury and falling out of favor with Gus. So I think your info is good.

I'm one who's quick to point out doghouse visits because tickets to Gus's doghouse are cheap and easily acquired. Part of running a tight ship. Doesn't mean they're bad kids. Some folks get awfully emotional about it but it's not a big deal IMO. 

Yeah my understanding was that JG and Chip didn’t get along. Chip didn’t think JG was gonna make it as a SEC QB and JG shut down. Idk how accurate this next part is but supposedly he had talked with Gus about transferring but never submitted the paper work. Once Chip left and throughout bowl prep, many mentioned the “light” turning on for JG and that this spring he had been doing the things he needed to in order to become a leader. Both WDE and Bird have mentioned that they’ve been told or have heard that JG has won the team which leads me to believe there is some merit to what I’ve heard. 

Either way, I’m pulling for him hard because I know how low he probably felt early on. It’d be epic to see him pan out. It would also be about time we had a raw talent project pan out at QB 😂

7 minutes ago, BigWhiskey91 said:

Yeah my understanding was that JG and Chip didn’t get along. Chip didn’t think JG was gonna make it as a SEC QB and JG shut down. Idk how accurate this next part is but supposedly he had talked with Gus about transferring but never submitted the paper work.

Hadn't heard or seen any of this but it's all plausible.

3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Hadn't heard or seen any of this but it's all plausible.

Haven’t seen it either..could make sense maybe.

WTF CHIP

45 minutes ago, BigWhiskey91 said:

Yeah my understanding was that JG and Chip didn’t get along. Chip didn’t think JG was gonna make it as a SEC QB and JG shut down. Idk how accurate this next part is but supposedly he had talked with Gus about transferring but never submitted the paper work. Once Chip left and throughout bowl prep, many mentioned the “light” turning on for JG and that this spring he had been doing the things he needed to in order to become a leader. Both WDE and Bird have mentioned that they’ve been told or have heard that JG has won the team which leads me to believe there is some merit to what I’ve heard. 

Either way, I’m pulling for him hard because I know how low he probably felt early on. It’d be epic to see him pan out. It would also be about time we had a raw talent project pan out at QB 😂

Where did you get this from ? If this is the case maybe Chip was more of the problem then a solution. Especially since , he was one of the primary coaches getting MW here.

37 minutes ago, BigWhiskey91 said:

Interesting. Would explain a lot. The only thing I know is what I've heard, which is that the new arrangement with Dilly has been an significant improvement for a lot of aspects of the offense, from QB development to OL recruiting. Agree with @ellitor, seems plausible. 

49 minutes ago, DAG said:

Especially since , he was one of the primary coaches getting MW here.

Incorrect. Willis committed to Auburn in April 2016 and enrolled on January 8 of 2017. Chip was hired on January 21 of 2017.

26 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Interesting. Would explain a lot. The only thing I know is what I've heard, which is that the new arrangement with Dilly has been an significant improvement for a lot of aspects of the offense, from QB development to OL recruiting. Agree with @ellitor, seems plausible. 

@McLoofus @DAG @ellitor

I dont mean that to paint a negative picture of Chip or JG. It kinda reminds me of how Muschamp thought of Deshaun Davis. 

I was told this information early December. Should note the same guy also told Muschamp was a done deal after 2014 and Hugh Freeze was in talks to be our OC. I think it’s plausible too but it could be more innocent then that (specifically regarding Chip). Normally I don’t share stuff like this as it can lead to folks thinking differently of certain coaches or players or it could just be false as well. That being said, felt it was worth it here as JG could be a big success story (assuming this is true). 

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Incorrect. Willis committed to Auburn in April 2016 and enrolled on January 8 of 2017. Chip was hired on January 21 of 2017.

Ahh thank you . I thought he was the one who bought MW in that is why this caught me off guard lol.

1 minute ago, BigWhiskey91 said:

@McLoofus @DAG @ellitor

I dont mean that to paint a negative picture of Chip or JG. It kinda reminds me of how Muschamp thought of Deshaun Davis. 

I was told this information early December. Should note the same guy also told Muschamp was a done deal after 2014 and Hugh Freeze was in talks to be our OC. I think it’s plausible too but it could be more innocent then that (specifically regarding Chip). Normally I don’t share stuff like this as it can lead to folks thinking differently of certain coaches or players or it could just be false as well. That being said, felt it was worth it here as JG could be a big success story (assuming this is true). 

I don’t think you put him in a bad light -at all. Thanks for the info . Clearly the dynamics weren’t there between him and our coach and right now it looks like things are going on the right direction. 

6 minutes ago, DAG said:

I don’t think you put him in a bad light -at all. Thanks for the info . Clearly the dynamics weren’t there between him and our coach and right now it looks like things are going on the right direction. 

And if JG wasn’t doing the things he needed to do off the field or showing maturity in general, I could see how he wasn’t in favor with Gus or Chip. Would seem to line up with his number being changed to 13 and now back to 1. 

9 minutes ago, BigWhiskey91 said:

And if JG wasn’t doing the things he needed to do off the field or showing maturity in general, I could see how he wasn’t in favor with Gus or Chip. Would seem to line up with his number being changed to 13 and now back to 1. 

I think all things fell into place perfectly. I am glad that JG can be the potential starter, Freeze is not our OC and Gus can take control. 

Archived