This defense has to be dominant

gr82b4au

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/3/2019 at 11:22 AM, Auburn2Eugene said:

So is Jashawn Sheffield locked in at WR? He could certainly pair well with Smoke to create a dominant DB group

All we know for now is that's where his career is beginning.

2 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

I just want our defense to be dominate and play lose on the field. 

I'd rather them playing loose. I don't wanna lose.

4 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Auburn turnover margin last year was .7 Florida was also .7 and LSU  and Vanderbilt .8 that was the four top teams in the SEC 

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/turnover-margin-per-game

Like most statistics there is more to it. What part of the field was the turnover at did it lead yo points for your team or if you turned it over did it lead to points for other team. Was turnover  at a crucial time in game that had a direct impact on the game. D

Turnover margin is a deceiving stat. That's how many turnovers you gain vs. giveaway. Gus has been very conservative on offense the last few years, leading to us giving away very few turnovers.

The stat to look at is average number of turnovers forced per game. Auburn was 51st last year, 70th in 2017, and 90th in 2016. However, if we keep jumping up 20 spots as we are doing then I will be happy. 

• 1 month later...

Not trying to be that guy but if we played a competent passing QB this past weekend I think our D would've looked significantly worse. He had open guys time and time again he just couldn't hit them. I'm not feeling as comfortable as I'd like to feel with the strong point of our team.

I get it that we only gave up 6 points. That part is fantastic, but we wouldn't have beaten a conference team on Saturday night IMO

14 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Not trying to be that guy but if we played a competent passing QB this past weekend I think our D would've looked significantly worse. He had open guys time and time again he just couldn't hit them. I'm not feeling as comfortable as I'd like to feel with the strong point of our team.

I get it that we only gave up 6 points. That part is fantastic, but we wouldn't have beaten a conference team on Saturday night IMO

That is true. 

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

Very true. 

Unlike the early part of last season where I felt like the Defense at least kept up their end of the deal through some tough times, my confidence is shaken on that side of the ball too.  Add ST and there's a trifecta of shakiness. 

I'm not sure we can really hang our hats anywhere atm....

6 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Very true. 

Unlike the early part of last season where I felt like the Defense at least kept up their end of the deal through some tough times, my confidence is shaken on that side of the ball too.  Add ST and there's a trifecta of shakiness. 

I'm not sure we can really hang our hats anywhere atm....

We have nothing sustainable over the past 8 quarters to lean on to win games that's for sure. This is shaping up to be an ugly season regardless of what our record and ranking indicate right now.

I can see it now, a close game where both the D and O are playing well enough to keep the win within striking distance but a special teams coverage mishap sets the whole effort on fire.

Archived