Pearl Addresses NCAA Concerns

Auburn Kev

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

He's probably referencing how the NCAA didn't want a team named in the FBI scandal to be in the championship game or win the national championship so the NCAA jobbed us

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

That would not surprise me one bit if that was the case....

13 hours ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Some are saying it's possible Bruce will have to serve a short suspension due to a possible Head Coach Responsibility charge.  I hope Chuck Person never sets foot on the AU campus again.  His selfishness has caused unnecessary baggage and it wasn't even for the betterment of the program, it was for the betterment of Chuck Person.

What CP did was wrong.....but I feel some compassion for him. He was too generous to others and he got bad financial advice as well.. He did what he did out of financial desperation. CP's whole life has been about basketball, and now that's gone, along with his good name.  I hope he is able to rebuild his life without the financial pressures, and find some way to have a purpose outside of basketball. I think he's being adequately punished, so I wish him no more pain. 

On ‎7‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 10:57 AM, steeleagle said:

I know how you feel... The whole article left me w/ a very confusing feeling...

sanctions not made public that we don't know about...

Auburn spokesman disagrees w/ Pearl's comments...

Pearl says the worst is past us...but there is still unfinished business w/ NCAA...

:gofig:

I'm surprised Bruce said any of this. Seemed to come from out of the blue. Why would he volunteer that info unless he's feeling very confident.

Now the ncaa will prove him wrong just out of spite.

11 minutes ago, TigerOne said:

I'm surprised Bruce said any of this. Seemed to come from out of the blue. Why would he volunteer that info unless he's feeling very confident.

Now the ncaa will prove him wrong just out of spite.

I agree...this is when the openness we all love from BP comes back and gets us. Sometimes it's good to say no comment to certain questions.....

I mean i'd rather him stay open then go the complete opposite like some other coaches we have but gotta learn when talking doesn't help your situation  

1 hour ago, Tigerbelle said:

What CP did was wrong.....but I feel some compassion for him. He was too generous to others and he got bad financial advice as well.. He did what he did out of financial desperation. CP's whole life has been about basketball, and now that's gone, along with his good name.  I hope he is able to rebuild his life without the financial pressures, and find some way to have a purpose outside of basketball. I think he's being adequately punished, so I wish him no more pain. 

i dunno....i was feeling the same way but if this continues to stretch onward and hurt AU then i won't be able to help but have hard feelings towards Person. The fact that he screwed up his personal life does not give him a pass to screw up other lives and more importantly the university that he claimed to love. 

If we have weathered the storm then i think in a couple more years it will be water under the bridge. If not...well Person is going to be even sorter on friends then he already is now that he is broke 

9 hours ago, gravejd said:

i dunno....i was feeling the same way but if this continues to stretch onward and hurt AU then i won't be able to help but have hard feelings towards Person. The fact that he screwed up his personal life does not give him a pass to screw up other lives and more importantly the university that he claimed to love. 

If we have weathered the storm then i think in a couple more years it will be water under the bridge. If not...well Person is going to be even sorter on friends then he already is now that he is broke 

No one is saying that CP had the right to do what he did......but his intentions were not malicious. His intentions were to make money on the side to ease his financial pressures. He used very poor judgement but he wasn't purposely trying to lose his career and his big paycheck to spite Auburn. I can forgive a desperate man who is not good at managing his money....especially when he is paying a high price for his crime and no one was physically hurt.. CP has nothing now and Auburn will survive.

He is no Eric Ramsey. Him.....I still have hard feelings about to this day, and so does my family. 

8 hours ago, Tigerbelle said:

No one is saying that CP had the right to do what he did......but his intentions were not malicious. His intentions were to make money on the side to ease his financial pressures. He used very poor judgement but he wasn't purposely trying to lose his career and his big paycheck to spite Auburn. I can forgive a desperate man who is not good at managing his money....especially when he is paying a high price for his crime and no one was physically hurt.. CP has nothing now and Auburn will survive.

He is no Eric Ramsey. Him.....I still have hard feelings about to this day, and so does my family. 

While i agree that ones intentions are important when it comes to deciding punishment for a crime, i'd argue that the repercussions are more important. Take drunk driving for example....no one ever jumps in a car drunk wanting to kill some one else. Does that mean that all drunk drivers should be treated the same regardless of if they killed someone or not? They are all usually just trying to get from point A to point B. But i'd argue that if you kill someone while driving drunk the penalties should be harsher.

Thats kind of my position here. Wiley and Purifoy have both suffered a lot from sitting out that year. Wiley looked like a sure fire pro going into his sophomore year and he has struggled to get back to that level. Purifoy went from one of our best players to an after thought that would still be an after thought had Chuma not gotten hurt. Now it seems more and more likely more penalties are coming. Hopefully they are minor at this point but they could not be....we have no way of knowing and neither does anyone outside of the NCAA offices if i had to guess. 

Person has lost a lot over this but if his actions kill the renaissance of AU basketball then its going to take me a lot longer to be like you and find forgiveness.

On 8/1/2019 at 8:35 AM, gravejd said:

While i agree that ones intentions are important when it comes to deciding punishment for a crime, i'd argue that the repercussions are more important. Take drunk driving for example....no one ever jumps in a car drunk wanting to kill some one else. Does that mean that all drunk drivers should be treated the same regardless of if they killed someone or not? They are all usually just trying to get from point A to point B. But i'd argue that if you kill someone while driving drunk the penalties should be harsher.

Thats kind of my position here. Wiley and Purifoy have both suffered a lot from sitting out that year. Wiley looked like a sure fire pro going into his sophomore year and he has struggled to get back to that level. Purifoy went from one of our best players to an after thought that would still be an after thought had Chuma not gotten hurt. Now it seems more and more likely more penalties are coming. Hopefully they are minor at this point but they could not be....we have no way of knowing and neither does anyone outside of the NCAA offices if i had to guess. 

Person has lost a lot over this but if his actions kill the renaissance of AU basketball then its going to take me a lot longer to be like you and find forgiveness.

Chuck did not at any time put anyone's life in danger. His crime is in no way comparable to a DUI. Don't try to make it worse than it actually is.....Good Grief.

Wiley and Purifoy also suffered because of their parents' actions....don't forget that part of the equation.  CP is not the only adult involved here. The families are to blame also. 

CP committed a financial crime that had repercussions, of course, but he has still paid the bigger price here.  Wiley and Purifoy are young and they will move on.  Their lives are not in shambles. 

Auburn will be fine no matter what the NCAA does, and the BB program will not take a nose dive forever. BP is still the coach and he will continue to be successful. 

After all is said and done CP is still a human being who made a terrible decision during a time of desperation, and he will pay for it for the rest of his life.  That's more than enough punishment for a relatively minor crime about money. 

6 hours ago, Tigerbelle said:

Chuck did not at any time put anyone's life in danger. His crime is in no way comparable to a DUI. Don't try to make it worse than it actually is.....Good Grief.

Wiley and Purifoy also suffered because of their parents' actions....don't forget that part of the equation.  CP is not the only adult involved here. The families are to blame also. 

CP committed a financial crime that had repercussions, of course, but he has still paid the bigger price here.  Wiley and Purifoy are young and they will move on.  Their lives are not in shambles. 

Auburn will be fine no matter what the NCAA does, and the BB program will not take a nose dive forever. BP is still the coach and he will continue to be successful. 

After all is said and done CP is still a human being who made a terrible decision during a time of desperation, and he will pay for it for the rest of his life.  That's more than enough punishment for a relatively minor crime about money. 

He  knew that his actions were both illegal and could put Auburn Basketball into serious trouble.  I'm not sure why anyone would excuse his actions.  The gods may forgive him but I'm not going to.

On 8/3/2019 at 9:05 PM, dyehardfanAU said:

He  knew that his actions were both illegal and could put Auburn Basketball into serious trouble.  I'm not sure why anyone would excuse his actions.  The gods may forgive him but I'm not going to.

I don't see anyone excusing or condoning what CP did. And no one said he unwittingly broke the law. He admitted guilt so that isn't even up for debate.

Having compassion and forgiving him is  a COMPLETELY different issue. So is putting his crime in perspective. That's especially true given all the other terrible things that are happening in the world right now. 

On 8/3/2019 at 3:21 PM, Tigerbelle said:

I feel ya, I wasn’t trying to compare what Person did to killing some one. Just making the parallel to how the same action can require a different response based on the outcome. I hope you are right that his actions will not seriously impact AU basketball program. 

39 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

I don't see anyone excusing or condoning what CP did. And no one said he unwittingly broke the law. He admitted guilt so that isn't even up for debate.

Having compassion and forgiving him is  a COMPLETELY different issue. So is putting his crime in perspective. That's especially true given all the other terrible things that are happening in the world right now. 

Please give me an example of putting his crime in perspective that doesn't excuse his actions.

23 hours ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Please give me an example of putting his crime in perspective that doesn't excuse his actions.

It was a non-violent crime, and CP did not get sent to jail. He admitted his guilt. He received probation which means he is not a danger to society. How much more perspective do you need? He didn't murder anyone or cause bodily harm. He was a middleman in a financial crime. I have not seen anyone on this forum say that CP was innocent, or should not face consequences. You are having trouble comprehending what's been posted apparently. Having compassion for another human being who made a terrible decision while under duress has NOTHING to do with excusing his actions. Wanting to understand why he got involved and took such a risk is not excusing it. It's sad that you can't understand the difference. 

bammer and Nick Saban do the exact same thing, and worse, on an ongoing basis, and people just ignore it like nothing is going on.  The hypocrisy is disturbing. 

On National news they are all over BP for taking steps like "Limiting contact with recruits" which should have been "Prohibiting contact with recruits" the NCAA and another group is trying to pick this to death. 

read the article and let us know your thoughts. 

• 1 month later...

Archived