So what are the most urgent things that need to be addressed

cole256

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, WarTim said:

Oh. Now I understand. AU offense stinks Check. AU Defense stinks Check. Auburn is undefeated and 2-0. Check. 

Everyone is happy we're 2-0. Just being realistic that we have some games ahead of us that won't be easy and those teams are already showing signs of being able to take advantage of opportunities they are given. We are struggling with that and the defense was fortunate last night with some mistakes made by Tulane. We should have looked sharper last night on both sides of the ball and we basically have one more week to get it straightened out. 

Sorry. I already checked out. No arguing facts.......

5 minutes ago, lala said:

The guy reminded me of big Cody back in the day

I know right? I was thinking is this guy some top 10 pick I didn't know about? How many games have you watched where one guy shut everything down like that?

Biggest problem last night was play calling.  Why keep running right at that bid dude in the middle of their defense?  The couple of times the pulled the guards and went around the right end it was wide open.  Then it was right back to trying to run right at their strength.  

6 minutes ago, WarTim said:

Oh. Now I understand. AU offense stinks Check. AU Defense stinks Check. Auburn is undefeated and 2-0. Check. Now I can “Check out” of this thread......What a world. 

Tulane could have run the qb in the dirt last night and Auburn had no one to stop him.   Auburn’s dline is too slow on the edge and Big Kat hasn’t quite figured it out yet.    Coe is too slow as an end needs to be inside or lose weight.   If that would have been Bama last night, the score would have been 55 - 0

Just now, weagl1 said:

Biggest problem last night was play calling.  Why keep running right at that bid dude in the middle of their defense?  The couple of times the pulled the guards and went around the right end it was wide open.  Then it was right back to trying to run right at their strength.  

Good point, I did leave that off the list originally. 

They say you see the biggest jump from first to second game......hope not

But is there anybody that know stuff about the o line? Is there anything we can do as far as hoping for a performance jump?

1. OL particularly the interior has to be changed. They’re not getting the job done. Pressure from the A and B gaps will destroy any quarterback. Bo needs to be able to stay in the pocket; his accuracy takes a drastic hit while on the run.

2. DL has to find a damn pass rusher. Tulane was able to give their qb way too much time in the pocket. Then we didn’t do a great job corralling him once he was flushed out.

3. RB has to be by committee. It makes no sense to ride Boobee the way we did against Tulane. Like Bird said, improved interior blocking would fix a lot of this issue. It’s ludicrous Worm had one carry and Stove had around 3.

4. Receivers have to block better and we have to get more involved. Especially now that we have more injuries.

5. We can’t run the same play 4 times in a row and we can’t run the same play in every scenario.

6. RUN A F%#*^%# SLANT

1 minute ago, aubaseball said:

Tulane could have run the qb in the dirt last night and Auburn had no one to stop him.   Auburn’s dline is too slow on the edge and Big Kat hasn’t quite figured it out yet.    Coe is too slow as an end needs to be inside or lose weight.   If that would have been Bama last night, the score would have been 55 - 0

Now here's someone you can argue with @WarTim. He apparently does think the defense sucks. 

41 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Most urgent need is the interior OL. Shore that up there will be improvement across the offensive side. 

Next is a change at RB and types of run calls.

I agree 100 percent. Nix has got to do a better job keeping the ball on the read as well. I feel as if its way too predictable when its constantly a hand off with no threat of Nix actually keeping it. I'm not convinced the offensive line is the problem. When the opposing Defense stacks 7 in the box and knows exactly where the ball is going it makes it extremely difficult to create openings i would think. 

No. AU should drop the sport and concentrate on the Equestrian team. Oh, I already checked out. 😎

1 minute ago, WarTim said:

No. AU should drop the sport and concentrate on the Equestrian team. Oh, I already checked out. 😎

You’re right, we do need some horses up front.  Is that what you mean?

We have a couple of big WR's in McClain and Cannella, but we hardly, if at all use the middle of the field in the passing game, and we barely, if ever use them in the red zone.

I agree the OL is the biggest concern, and was for many of us before the season began.  Not sure that will be fixed this season or next.

55 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I'm interested in having this conversation but I'm not interested in critiquing everybody but leaving others out......I'm talking about the team as a whole and the only people I've seen do their job at a high level is Noah and tutt punt returning. That's it. Period.

I don't know what else we can do with the o line. They've been together for a while, they have seen what right looks like; They have physical talent.....Idk. I didn't play o line I'm interested to hear anything that may be able to help. 

That leads to the run game, where I don't care how good you are you really can't do anything if you're getting hit before you get 3 steps in. Ball security is big.....this go with practicing full speed so am I surprised? Not at all

Then that leads to the passing game not having support. Placing them in less than ideal situations and also being predictable. Which to be honest hasn't been great. Also we've been running around back here when we shouldn't and that hurts the o line. The typical problems that you imagine from a freshman. Staring wr down, reading defense, accuracy stuff. 

I have a few ideas for that stuff but I doubt we'll do any of it. What are some things you guys see?

I admittedly didn't read the other posts, so I'm sure that this has been said already. There's only one thing to correct. The OL needs to find its killer instinct. That's it. Defense played well last night. OL protected the QB mostly well. Run blocking was very very weak, and it looked like the line was playing uninspired football. The talent is there. Last night, they just looked like they weren't really trying. Gus needs to go the way of Chizik in 2010 and challenge the line to run block better. If that happens, everything else on offense opens up and this is a very good team.

3 minutes ago, shabby said:

I agree 100 percent. Nix has got to do a better job keeping the ball on the read as well. I feel as if its way too predictable when its constantly a hand off with no threat of Nix actually keeping it. I'm not convinced the offensive line is the problem. When the opposing Defense stacks 7 in the box and knows exactly where the ball is going it makes it extremely difficult to create openings i would think. 

Gus has to do a better job allowing Nix to keep the ball.. you can not convince me that those reads are not predetermined. He pulled it one time and had a good run..but that was because Gus told him to pull and run. Several other times he could have kept it and picked up good yardage. Joey handed one off and if it was not predetermined that he was to hand it to Kmart.. Joey would have scored..Gus has to let go of the predetermined reads and let the QBs do their jobs. 

@bigbird hey bro what can we do seriously. I'm a little worried. I remember one year maybe 2013 where our o line play became much better around the 4th game of the season....was there any circumstances related to that or are you thinking it will happen this year.

I guess in short are you worried about this like me or am I tripping?

Just now, cole256 said:

@bigbird hey bro what can we do seriously. I'm a little worried. I remember one year maybe 2013 where our o line play became much better around the 4th game of the season....was there any circumstances related to that or are you thinking it will happen this year.

I guess in short are you worried about this like me or am I tripping?

I think you mean 2010, 2013, and 2014. All of those offenses ended up being good, but the lines were terrible at the beginning of the season.

6 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Yet here you are 😉 

All in good fun, I promise. 

Oh, definitely fun. If not so, why post? Our words here will have zero effect on our team. Laughing beats crying and moaning. Some here absolutely make me LOL. WDE !!! 😎

What is funny is that we have the same issues we thought we would have during the off-season. Nothing has changed. 

The OL is getting torched, the WRs drop a ton of balls (except Will and he is made of glass), the QB is new and inconsistent, the RB is not elite and still has problems holding on to the ball, the RB rotation still is not happening, the play calling is terrible, and the DL still needs a pass rusher. 

Everyone saw this coming. 

That is why is it sooo crucial we win with our defense. It is where the talent is on the team. 

6 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Now here's someone you can argue with @WarTim. He apparently does think the defense sucks. 

It’s not an argument.   Let’s agree that at the end of the year, let’s revisit this topic about the defense and see who was more right.   

The defense will be the only reason this team will win any of the games that it should win, ole miss, Arkansas and the like.   But make no mistake,  currently there is no chance of beating GA or Bama with this team.   And isn’t that the true measurement of a good Auburn team?

5 minutes ago, WarTim said:

Oh, definitely fun. If not so, why post? Our words here will have zero effect on our team. Laughing beats crying and moaning. Some here absolutely make me LOL. WDE !!! 😎

Truth!!!

Archived