So what are the most urgent things that need to be addressed

cole256

I'm interested in having this conversation but I'm not interested in critiquing everybody but leaving others out......I'm talking about the team as a whole and the only people I've seen do their job at a high level is Noah and tutt punt returning. That's it. Period.

I don't know what else we can do with the o line. They've been together for a while, they have seen what right looks like; They have physical talent.....Idk. I didn't play o line I'm interested to hear anything that may be able to help. 

That leads to the run game, where I don't care how good you are you really can't do anything if you're getting hit before you get 3 steps in. Ball security is big.....this go with practicing full speed so am I surprised? Not at all

Then that leads to the passing game not having support. Placing them in less than ideal situations and also being predictable. Which to be honest hasn't been great. Also we've been running around back here when we shouldn't and that hurts the o line. The typical problems that you imagine from a freshman. Staring wr down, reading defense, accuracy stuff. 

I have a few ideas for that stuff but I doubt we'll do any of it. What are some things you guys see?

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most urgent need is the interior OL. Shore that up there will be improvement across the offensive side. 

Next is a change at RB and types of run calls.

We need Schwartz and Seth healthy. Cole you and I talked about it last night. Need someone to fill Slayton's shoes and stretch the field. 

@bigbird I'm not opposed to a change at RB necessarily, I'm just not confident it will yield much different results (other than less turnovers). 

I'm not a defensive guy, but agree about Noah and have also been really impressed with Pappoe. He seems to always be around the ball. 

The Defense was outstanding....period. 

1 minute ago, Barnacle said:

@bigbird I'm not opposed to a change at RB necessarily, I'm just not confident it will yield much different results (other than less turnovers). 

That is a large something.

Also, a change there without an OL fix negates much of the benefit of a change

The first issue that has to be addressed before anything can happen on offense is the OL. They are seniors and it is inexcusable that they are playing that way.

Play calling has been the same. We do not call plays to our strengths.. running right up the middle with this OL is the definition of insanity..

CGM named 6 guys as starters at RB.. We need to see them starting with Shivers..

I am going to be patient with Nix he is making mistakes hopefully he will learn. I would like to see Joey in the game running the same plays as Nix. I am not a fan of rotating QBs but maybe next week they can alternate series but I wouldn’t hold my breath. 

Defense is good. The DL has to show up all game.. the secondary depends on that. Hopefully they can keep us close in our SEC games. 

The development of a better passing game will help stop future AU opponents from loading up the box the way Tulane did in the 1st half. It is mighty hard to block 8 guys in the box even if you are the New England Patriots! Bo being a true freshman will continue to make freshman mistakes but he must improve his reads and decision making. I have not given up on this team or this offense. I still think we can be a top 25 squad by the time the dust settles on the season.

Just now, bigbird said:

That is a large something.

Also, a change there without an OL fix negates much of the benefit of a change

It is a large something for sure. I was speaking more toward production, and agree with you on the OL. 

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

Most urgent need is the interior OL. Shore that up there will be improvement across the offensive side. 

Next is a change at RB and types of run calls.

I'm not sure how you fix the OL issue without a couple of outstanding recruiting classes.  Having this poor of OL in year 7 is really a problem going back to recruiting in Year 2-5.  There were warning signs and hazard horns going off for years showing where we were headed with the OL.

4 minutes ago, WarTim said:

The Defense was outstanding....period. 

The defense was inconsistent. JMO. They got bailed out several times by Tulane. There should have been multiple TDs scored against us. Lots of open receivers throughout the night that their QB couldn't connect with. 

One of the things that worries me is we've had to really fight to win these games and so far the opposing teams has dropped wide open td's and a few ints....we're not going to keep getting all the bounces

1 minute ago, Barnacle said:

The defense was inconsistent. JMO. They got bailed out several times by Tulane. There should have been multiple TDs scored against us. Lots of open receivers throughout the night that their QB couldn't connect with. 

Thanks. I didn't want to have this argument

2 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

I'm not sure how you fix the OL issue without a couple of outstanding recruiting classes.  Having this poor of OL in year 7 is really a problem going back to recruiting in Year 2-4.  There were warning signs and hazard horns going off for years showing where we were headed with the OL.

That's a big part of the issue, right? How much of this is coaching? I don't know. 

3 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Anytime your offense need only score ONE touchdown to win the Defense has played extremely well. 

5 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

I agree.  Against an LSU/UGA/UA the wide open WRs last night would've turned into TDs.

I think we all agree then it's ABSOLUTELY vital that we get some kind of a push from the o line. We can't have one guy being able to disrupt EVERYTHING we want to do on offense. 

Just now, WarTim said:

Anytime your offense need only score ONE touchdown to win the Defense has played extremely well. 

If you only saw the stats and not the football game, then yeah. I know you watched the game, I'm just saying Tulane beat themselves as much as our defense did last night. Their QB couldn't hit the broad side of a barn, and their receivers couldn't catch the ball when he could. We won't be so lucky against better opponents. Defense was outstanding at times, but were very inconsistent. 

3 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

I agree.  Against an LSU/UGA/UA the wide open WRs last night would've turned into TDs.

Thanks

Some things to be a top 10 ten we need:

- shwartz to be Percy Harvin when he is back

- interior line needs to be replaced   Trey Hill and Clay Webb we huge misses

- Either be a zone read O or ditch it

- better RB play.   Not happening this yr tho, IMO   

- big kat to be dominant. With the double teams on the inside the has to become an all-sec player

Oh. Now I understand. AU offense stinks Check. AU Defense stinks Check. Auburn is undefeated and 2-0. Check. Now I can “Check out” of this thread......What a world. 

3 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I think we all agree then it's ABSOLUTELY vital that we get some kind of a push from the o line. We can't have one guy being able to disrupt EVERYTHING we want to do on offense. 

The guy reminded me of big Cody back in the day

In most cases it’s the jimmies and joe’s that make the difference in being really good or just average.   When you have just average, it’s the coach that makes the difference.   I see talent on the offensive side that is never used.   Not to single him out, but why isn’t Shivers at the very minimum playing the role that Stove is playing.   It’s my opinion that he should be getting at least 15 touches a game, in some form or fashion.    Why is it that Clemson, Oklahoma and many more get the ball to guys in space.    Swing passes, screen passes, sweeps, crossing patterns.    It’s rare that I ever see these type plays with the right personnel.   

Archived